Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#148351 - 09/10/08 10:48 PM Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? [Re: NightHiker]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
If I should ever decide to take myself out, and it is not a poor health thing, I'm gonna make the world a better place before I go. I have this list in my head, constantly changing of course, of some folks who are using air that good people need..

#148357 - 09/10/08 11:22 PM Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? [Re: wildman800]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Easy.

At the age of 120 in a scandalous nude skydiving accident (leave them scratching their heads).

And my girlfriend at the time so grief stricken that she has to sit out a year of college and move in with her parents....

Seriously,

How do I want to die?

I want to be lying down peacefully in the forest looking up at the trees at a very ripe old age.

How do I expect to die?

Unfortunately, experience has taught me that I will probably be in a hospital bed with needles in my arms, a tube down my throat and paralytics coursing through my veins to keep me from pulling my tube out.

Yes I have a living will, and my daughter at age 15 has known for a long time what DNR means and that I want it tattooed on my chest, but a lot of unpleasant things can happen on your way getting to the DNR-point.

I've got no control on how I die save making it a DIY job (not something I'm considering).

So I'm going to focus on how I live at this moment and let death worry about itself.

Good question though...

#148360 - 09/10/08 11:26 PM Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? [Re: samhain]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: samhain
Yes I have a living will, and my daughter at age 15 has known for a long time what DNR means and that I want it tattooed on my chest, but a lot of unpleasant things can happen on your way getting to the DNR-point.

Just a quick reminder - DNRs are typically NOT effective outside of a hospital, such as when the paramedics come to you.

Jeff

#148363 - 09/10/08 11:38 PM Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? [Re: wildman800]
samhain Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: wildman800
This I have to comment on: I think I know where you're thinking is.

I used to call Miami my "Homeport Away from Homeport". I'd walk into town in the morning and I'd observe this very elderly gentleman being wheeled out onto the porch. I'd be going by again, around lunch and he'd still be there. I'd be sloshing by there, 3 sheets to the wind, that evening, and then I'd watch as the nurse came got him, and wheeled him off to bed, after a changing/freshening up. That old man had been sitting in that chair, in his body waste via a diaper, for the entire day, and everyday that I'd pass by there in good weather.

I hope I'll be able to exercise the .45ACP option before I'd get to that point of an existence.

BTW, I plan to live until my 200th birthday, just to do my part in driving Uncle Sammy broke by paying my retirement and medical expenses, aka: out of pure spite!!!!

I can understand that and I feel that way at times myself.

I've just taken care of so many individuals that enriched my life (while I was changing their diapers) and taught me about grace, dignity, and compassion (and some pretty good dirty jokes) that I hope I'm able to give that to some new nurses/techs in my old age.

I've also taken care of some vicious SOB's that try my patience (oh! how they try my patience - -high speed lead therapy is a tempting treatment option)

I just hope when Alzheimer's gets me I'm entertaining and happy. People will check on me then. If I'm an old a$$hole, they'll just restrain me and close the door and I'll die alone and scared.

Edited by samhain (09/10/08 11:39 PM)

#148365 - 09/10/08 11:49 PM Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? [Re: Jeff_M]
samhain Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
Originally Posted By: samhain

Just a quick reminder - DNRs are typically NOT effective outside of a hospital, such as when the paramedics come to you.

Jeff

Understood, Jeff.

I know y'all will do everything in your power to revive me if y'all are called.

It's up to me to instruct/ re-instruct/ re-re-instruct my family on when it's time NOT to call EMS and just let me go... Or at least if they have to, do it slooowlly, and give me a head start...

#148366 - 09/10/08 11:52 PM Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
samhain Offline
Addict

I am so very sorry as well Bill.

I hope they are able to get her pain under control and that she doesn't suffer anymore.

You and your family are in my thoughts.

#148367 - 09/10/08 11:52 PM Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? [Re: benjammin]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I recently had a 'check out' moment.

Long story short, while doing my 3rd Ironman triathlon in April I raced myself into kidney failure and liver failure. All the muscles in my legs and ribcage cramped up. My lungs and heart cramped up. During all this, I refused to stop racing and refused all treatment on the course. This lasted for about six hours. The only thought in my head was, "Finish, never quit."

Consequently I didn't finish and when I made it to the hospital they told my wife, I would probably be dead in five or six hours. It turns out I have a condition that I did not know about with my kidneys and this exertion put it over the line.

I don't know how or when I will check out. I am still in recovery and have a 20% of dying on any hard work out I do to this day(and this is four months later). This has obviously caused my wife, family and I to have some very pointed dialogue about what I do for fun.

I'd like to think I will live a long, life with lots of happiness and adventure with my wife and son, plus one on the way. If I don't I have a well stocked spiritual bank account.

#148370 - 09/11/08 12:11 AM Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? [Re: comms]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Glad you made it. I'm supprised that the condition didn't make itself known while you were training...

#148371 - 09/11/08 12:13 AM Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? [Re: samhain]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...nude skydiving accident..."

I happen to have an intersting photo of some nude skydivers, PM me with an e-mail address and I will send it to you...

#148372 - 09/11/08 12:14 AM Re: How Will You Prefer To Check Out??? [Re: Jeff_M]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

They are not all that great in the hospital either, 'specially if the DNR is not on that particular hospitals form. Been there, done that...

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 611 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.