Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#148409 - 09/11/08 11:31 AM Re: Shelter Box [Re: JohnE]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Remember, it's for usage that will often be 3rd or lower world countries, IMHO, Better to have too much water purification, than too little.

#148425 - 09/11/08 01:18 PM Re: Shelter Box [Re: JohnE]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: JohnE
Ok, lets assume that the water treatment chemicals will only treat 900 gallons of water. I still think that's an awful lot of water for what's basically an oversized survival kit.

Just how much gear/water/food are people thinking is acceptable for something like the Survival Box? It's not meant to replace civilisation is it?

John E

It is a refugee kit for 10 people in an nondetermined locale. 1 gallon per day per person for 90 days sounds about reasonable to me. Overall, I think it makes a nice base bug-out-box, and it worth replicating at a smaller scale as your own personal refugee kit. A 4-person version stuffed in an Action Packer tub would be a handy thing to have to throw in the vehicle in a bug out situation. Sure, it is not complete, but it is non-perishable and a good base.

#148454 - 09/11/08 02:54 PM Re: Shelter Box [Re: Rodion]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Great idea - does it have instructions?

#148550 - 09/11/08 11:25 PM Re: Shelter Box [Re: JohnE]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Replace, no. But the places they are talking about using this are literally GONE. Other than a few neighborhoods and few small towns in Katrina, the US really doesn't have a recent history of that. When more than have the buildings in a community are gone or untrustworthy, it takes more than a few weeks to get back to "normal" by anyone's terms.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#219490 - 03/17/11 03:23 AM Re: Shelter Box [Re: Rodion]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
After reading that Shelter Boxes are being sent to Japan, I decided to bump this thread.

Here's the link to ShelterBox USA. Seems like a highly practical kit, not like some of the junk I've seen in other prepackaged kits.

BTW, I want one of those wood burning Frontier Stoves.

http://www.shelterboxusa.org/about.php?page=9

#219497 - 03/17/11 05:55 AM Re: Shelter Box [Re: Rodion]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I think whoever put the blurb in about burning own paint must have misread the information from the Optimus web site (in the UK Shelterbox site, it clearly shows an Optimus stove):
  • White gasoline is generally a clean and energetic fuel suitable for use in liquid fuel stoves. Availability is good in North America. In Europe and other parts of the world, availability varies. Usually, you can find white gasoline in Outdoor shops. An alternative to white gasoline is heptanes that usually can be found in paint shops, hardware stores and similar.

Not a tragic flaw IMHO, and I still like the idea.

#219498 - 03/17/11 08:13 AM Re: Shelter Box [Re: Rodion]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Sounds an excellent kit.
I would expect that the small woodstove would be especialy welcome by those afflicted by the Japanese disaster.
There would appear to be ample scrap wood from destroyed buildings to use as fuel.
Liquid fuels of all sorts seem to be virtually unobtainable, and of course the wood stove heats the room or shelter to a greater extent than a camping cookstove.
It might be worth sending flexible flue pipe, so as to permit use of the wood stove indoors.
Many refugees seem to sheltering in buildings that are weathertight, but still very cold as no heating fuel is available.
The tents may be less needed ? Food, drinking water, blankets, and heat sources seem to be the main needs.

#219525 - 03/17/11 02:34 PM Re: Shelter Box [Re: Mark_M]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Mark_M
I think whoever put the blurb in about burning own paint must have misread the information from the Optimus web site

I noticed that too. The Optimus stove in question is supposedly dual-fuel (gas/kerosene). And some of the kerosene available in the third world (for example) is said to be really terrible, low-grade stuff.

A kerosene stove could likely handle paint thinner (even used and filtered).

And I've noticed that old oil paint will separate into pigment and a clear, oily liquid. If you could filter this stuff and maybe thin it out somewhat, it might work.

#219548 - 03/17/11 04:41 PM Re: Shelter Box [Re: Rodion]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
dougwalkabout,

Those Frontier stoves are available from camping solutions here:

http://www.campingsolutions.co.uk/gallery/

They also make the Nomad stove which is probably the stove shown on the UK site. In the past I have seen the "paint" comment concerning these stoves - but I don't know if it is from camping solutions or some other place.

Would be great (if VERY expensive) if they would import to the US. There are however several portable wood stoves available in the US. The best was the WWII field wood/coal/oil/diesel unit. I used one for several winters, but the fellow who owned it would NOT part with it.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#219550 - 03/17/11 04:56 PM Re: Shelter Box [Re: JerryFountain]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The Hunter SHA Arctic Space Heater is available here for $170 (which replaced the US mil Yukon M1950).

http://www.gr8gear.com/catalog/Camping-O...sue-Hunter-SHA/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GoXJiTuVHI

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 415 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
Today at 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.