Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#147985 - 09/08/08 09:59 PM Re: Emergancy Radio [Re: JohnE]
TrailDemon Offline

Loc: BC, CANADA
I am also a Ham, and have an old handheld and a mobile in my truck. With the local repeater, i can get some pretty amazing range with both.
Unfortunately if in the event of a Nuclear SHTF situation, i would think the pulse would destroy any repeater operation. For this, i have a backup Eton Crank radio in storage in a metal garbage can for EMP protection.

peace
al

#148010 - 09/09/08 12:45 AM Re: Emergancy Radio [Re: MartinFocazio]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...you're not really allowed to USE a scanner in NY..."

I'll add that to the list of why NOT visit NYC...

#148021 - 09/09/08 01:14 AM Re: Emergancy Radio [Re: ]
toecutter1978 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Texas
I believe that an EMP will travel through metal. I hope that it doesn't have to come to that though.

-Clint Smith

#148035 - 09/09/08 02:11 AM Re: Emergancy Radio [Re: ]
toecutter1978 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Texas
It is real nice up there. A tad bit cold for my liking, but beautiful country. What is the range for one of those HAM radio's anyway. I know it matters on power, lets say a decent handheld version.

-Clint Smith

#148041 - 09/09/08 03:49 AM Re: Emergancy Radio [Re: toecutter1978]
TrailDemon Offline

Loc: BC, CANADA
with all thats happening in the world today, i doesnt hurt to be a little prepared. "prepare for the worst, and hope for the best".

this comment amused me: "And besides, who would waste a perfectly good nuke on Vancouver?" It's obvious you dont know canada well...
I would comment further, but i won't side track this topic.

as for ham radio range? it all depends on the radio, its' wattage, and the placement of the repeater being used. if the repeater is on a mountaintop, you should hit anyone within your field of vision. i personally in the past have hit friends in their cars 100 miles away through repeater service. Ham also offers an autopatch feature, which a ham can use a public 'phone' through the repeater. everyone on the repeater can hear your conversation, but the local call is free(at least it was when i was a club member).
there is a network in BC called IPARN. A group of hams are 'linking' a bunch of repeaters, so a user with the right codes can piggyback a signal along a network from the BC interior to vancouver. i havent used IPARN, but 10 years ago i knew one of the guys organising it.
then there is something new called D-Star. I know little about it, but ive been told it allows WORLD wide communications.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-STAR

my suggestion is look online for ham clubs in you area and inquire about licensing. you can learn a lot from the 'active' hams. get licensed, its cheap and easy.

best of luck.
peace
al

#148050 - 09/09/08 05:44 AM Re: Emergancy Radio [Re: MartinFocazio]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
Originally Posted By: Doug_Botimer
Why just receive NOAA, AM/FM HAM... Why not spend a little time and $14 to get an Amateur (HAM) Technician license?

I'll second and third that, and add in that in New York at least, it keeps you legal, because you're not really allowed to USE a scanner in NY, but with a Ham license, you can.

...snip...

...in a car. You CAN use a scanner on FOOT, or in the home in NY.

As everyone said - just get your ham license - easy enough, and frankly, very useful in an emergency
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#148071 - 09/09/08 12:52 PM Re: Emergancy Radio [Re: KG2V]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...get your ham license..."

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't you only need the ham license to transmit? If all you want to do is listen, seems to me that you could buy a radio of any kind. And, in an emergency, you could probably even get away with transmitting. That said, I have been planning on getting the "no code," or whatever they are calling that nowadays, license for several years, just keep putting it off...

#148085 - 09/09/08 01:32 PM Re: Emergancy Radio [Re: OldBaldGuy]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
As I said, in New York State, it is illegal to have a radio that can receive police frequencies in your vehicle (even technically locked in the trunk) unless you have either a ham license or a letter from the local head LEO
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#148138 - 09/09/08 07:11 PM Re: Emergancy Radio [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
OBG,

FCC rules allow emergency communications without a ham license in a real emergency. So technically you could buy a ham radio of any sort and listen all you liked and transmit when there was a declared emergency.

This idea is a bit weak when you consider that most emergency ham operators practice frequently to maintain their skills in this service area.

A new fellow jumping on the airwaves in an emergency may not be the best approach.

Getting a ham license is so easy now that there really is no excuse not to do so. You can take online practice tests until you essentially know the questions by heart...take a locally administered test and not only be legal but if you volunteer with a local RACES or ARES group you can be helpful too.

Check out qrz.com for practice tests.

http://www.qrz.com/testing.html

The ARRL will list local clubs and tests in your area.

http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/examsearch.phtml

The examiner will likely know a number of service groups in your area too.

Ham radio is a very good option to have.

#148141 - 09/09/08 07:53 PM Re: Emergancy Radio [Re: Schwert]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: Schwert

Check out qrz.com for practice tests.

http://www.qrz.com/testing.html

I only got 40% frown

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 174 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by chaosmagnet
Today at 06:13 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.