The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#147884 - 09/08/08 08:34 AM Re: This makes me angry [Re: bws48]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Which is why I also object to the flag waving, flag wearing and flag bumper sticker jingoism. I know the current infatuation with the military will wane again, and many people will begin to question veteran's benefits. In a few years, no politicians who haven't served will be visiting soldiers in veteran's hospitals. It won't be "nothing is too good for our boys", it will be "why are we spending so much on the military?"

I would prefer to be used like a craftsman uses a tool: used carefully, for the purpose the tool is designed for and kept sharp when not in use. Not like a gangster uses a gun: shown off, used poorly, and thrown down a storm drain afterward.

Treat the military with a constant level of realistic respect. Not overwhelming enthusiasm one year and underwhelming disrespect the next. In 1944, we had the strongest military on the planet. In 1950, we were were unprepared to fight in Korea.

Where were the yellow ribbons and flag stickers in August of 2001?

#147891 - 09/08/08 10:48 AM Re: This makes me angry [Re: AROTC]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Ah, at least one flag sticker was on the rear window of my truck, and the flag went up every holiday. I fly my flag often enough that I've had to retire 3 "all weather embroidered" (aka the good ones) flags since I got married 20 years ago.

I spent some time talking to the recruiters "back when" and I decided my physical condition ruled out service.

Dad was proud of his service, and I made sure he got a Vet's service when he died - the only really disappointing thing is the Military (at least around here) will NOT send an Honor Guard to a service that is NOT at a Vet's Cemetery. The VFW did the honors instead. THAT flag won't be flown - in fact I need to get a case

I will admit that the last couple of holidays, my flag was not up - my pole mount broke, and I have not had the hour to put up a new one
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#147893 - 09/08/08 11:06 AM Re: This makes me angry [Re: toecutter1978]
Matt Offline

Loc: Texas
Toecutter, I'm surprised you see that kind of attitude in Killeen. Ft. Hood is the whole reason that town even exists.

#147895 - 09/08/08 11:33 AM Re: This makes me angry [Re: toecutter1978]
jenkinma Offline
Stranger

Loc: GA
Toecutter,
That article you are looking for was entitled "On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs", and is an excerpt from a book, "On Killing" by LTC(Ret) Dave Grossman, RANGER, Ph.D.

I have a copy of the article... if you PM me with e-mail, I will send. You're right...it's very good.

-Matt

#147909 - 09/08/08 01:23 PM Re: This makes me angry [Re: KG2V]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
We fly our flag every day (unless it is raining), and have for many many years. We buy the good ones too, and have gone thru more than I can remember (the Boy Scouts get the old ones for their flag burning ceremony). Being mobile like we are, our flag pole is also a weather vane, made from PVC pipe. It breaks down small for traveling, and can be put up in minutes...

#147910 - 09/08/08 01:24 PM Re: This makes me angry [Re: jenkinma]
Henry_Porter Offline

You can also find the article on Blackwater's website, a fact that is instructive.

The argument reminds me of the climactic scene in the movie "A Few Good Men."

In his article, Grossman's analogy naturally favors "the sheepdogs" but is not accurate because it fails to describe any other groups (stereotypes?) in society beyond the three mentioned in the title.

Probably a fair percentage of this forum's readers are in a fourth category (to keep the analogy going, let's call them "Free Men/Women" or "Free Citizens").

People in this category think for and take responsibility for themselves while giving due respect, as AROTC notes above, for sheepdogs as well as sheep and wolves. They are typically not in denial. They recognize boundaries in our society and the various roles different individuals and groups play.

It's probably wise to equip oneself with a wariness of angry elected public servants, servicemen, law enforcement officers, or mercenaries like Blackwater who despise fellow citizens whether they be "sheep," "sheepdog" or "free man."

#147940 - 09/08/08 04:19 PM Re: This makes me angry [Re: Henry_Porter]
toecutter1978 Offline
Stranger

I have met a lady that is in the group Code Pink. I was standing in line in a Cefco in Gatesville going to pay for gas. This lady behind me, I guess noticed I had on an Army shirt(the ones you get for free to promote the military). She started to poke me in the back and tell me how much of a horrible person that I am. I then turned around and asked her to stop. Now, remember I am in a store with other people. She then goes to say how evil I must be and my family should have to pay for all the crimes that I must have committed over seas. After that I really wanted to show her some good Srmy training. Unforuntally, I still had on my back brace and a two hundred pound man verses a maybe one hundred pound little woman? Here even in Texas I would have been at fault even thought she started it. The people in the store then, noticing that I was getting feed up with her mouth told her to leave and stop bothering me. I watched her leave with a smile on her face as if she just won a victory. Is that what I and many others are defending? That one moment almost made me give up. I didn't though. But now, if I have the chance of running into somebody like that again. Lets just say I am walking by myself now and can't wait to get my hands dirty.

-Clint Smith

#147947 - 09/08/08 04:35 PM Re: This makes me angry [Re: toecutter1978]
Matt Offline

I'm surprised. That is not what I would have expected to see in Gatesvilles or in any of the surrounding areas. Truely sorry you had to put up with her mouth.

#147949 - 09/08/08 05:04 PM Re: This makes me angry [Re: Matt]
toecutter1978 Offline
Stranger

I can understand people that really do not have a grasp on what is going on in the world. They should not think that because they believe the world will be a better place without protectors they should try to belittle them. I have been around this great state, and have met some of the best, most giving people I can imagine. I plan on living here for the rest of my life. A friend of mine that was in 1-8 with me lives in Indiana now. He has also had run-ins with the same problem. Now, as being a soldier, when I was younger I have raised my share of cane. I have also paid for it, in money and rank(I have held every one that I had twice!). Now as a NCO I can't do those kind of things. I ahve been in places around the world that have small sites for their military to go. In these places they can unwind, drink, fight to their hearts content. As long as nobody gets killed have fun. They should have places like that in the U.S. for it's military to blow off steam. Nothing is more theraputic then punching somebody in the face, all the anger just vents! Now,I know some people would say that is just horrible, hey it takes a different type of person to do the things that the military does. What do you guys think?

-Clint Smith

#147951 - 09/08/08 05:19 PM Re: This makes me angry [Re: toecutter1978]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Consider the source. She isn't worth getting upset over or even the effort to spit on.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 272 Guests and 91 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
05/01/24 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.