The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#147446 - 09/05/08 12:56 AM Twitter: It's Not Just For Kids Any More
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I've been messing with Twitter.

In short, Twitter is used to send short (140 character) or less text messages from one person to....well, it could be anybody. One person or 10,000 people.

Originally, it was envisioned as a way for a group of friends to chitter-chatter about what they are doing at the moment...

"I'm at the mall"
"Going to see Indy Jones Movie"
"Will be @ fountain 2pm c u there"

and stuff like that.

The basic concept is that you either send a "tweet" (message) or "follow" someone's "tweets". So if you are the popular kid, when you tweet from your phone "going 2 get pizza @ jacks" maybe 20 other kids who "follow" his updates get a text message on their phone seconds after he sends it.

Silly, right?

Not so fast.

You see, along with the silly chatter, the idea of a large group communicating short, written messages, nearly instantly, with a low-bandwidth, high(er) reliability text message has some interesting applications in emergencies.

And so, the Los Angeles Fire Department started "tweeting" messages about brush fire situations. And LAFD firefighters started "following" the LAFD tweets.

And here you can see the tweets as they happen, with the web-based version of Twitter:

http://twitter.com/lafd

Example tweet:
*EXPLOSION* 1B LAX x Baggage Area 1; MAP 702-G5; FS 51; Reports of small explosion on Flyaway B... Read more at http://tinyurl.com/5a4rpn 02:05 PM September 03, 2008

Not to be left out of this is the Red Cross, with their own Twitter account:

http://twitter.com/redcross

and here's the latest Tweet from them (see the site above for the current link)

A hurricane watch has been issued for areas in GA, SC & NC. Officials as far north as D.C. urged residents to prep for heavy winds and rain.

(they also have a neat blog for updates, better than the tv news: http://hurricanehanna.wordpress.com/)

Now, remember that you can "follow" a Twitter user's announcements on your phone (or on your Twitter home page)? Well as a user, you can be "followed" or send a "direct message" to another user.

And that's something the Red Cross is doing as well - they are using Twitter for "health and welfare" traffic in affected areas.

All in all, it's a near tool with a lot of emergency management implications and uses. It solves a lot of problems in terms of user management and signup, and the mobile data services tend to work when voice does not.

Give it a try, it's nifty.

#147447 - 09/05/08 01:22 AM Re: Twitter: It's Not Just For Kids Any More [Re: MartinFocazio]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Several years ago I was a member of a scanner enthusiast group, we had a paging system set up (called “Scan-Alert”) that we would send short text messages about what was going on.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#147451 - 09/05/08 01:26 AM Re: Twitter: It's Not Just For Kids Any More [Re: BobS]
Henry_Porter Offline

Martin, this is excellent. I had heard references to Twitter but hadn't paid attention nor considered useful applications such as you describe. Thanks.

#147459 - 09/05/08 03:41 AM Re: Twitter: It's Not Just For Kids Any More [Re: MartinFocazio]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I am sooo far behind the power curve. I seem to remember twitter as in "all a-twitter" about some gal/guy...

#147568 - 09/05/08 10:52 PM Re: Twitter: It's Not Just For Kids Any More [Re: OldBaldGuy]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I can see a lot of useful possibilities, in theory.

But I don't know much about the security of this service, especially when emergency services start using it.

Being a skeptic, I have to wonder how long it will be before hoaxers, hackers, vandals and general knuckleheads start gumming up the works.

A lot of people seem to prefer to destroy rather than to build.

My 2¢.

#147605 - 09/06/08 03:15 AM Re: Twitter: It's Not Just For Kids Any More [Re: dougwalkabout]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
From a 'web guy' point of view Twitter is nothing new. The technology, idea, etc isn't even new. Someone just tossed a new word at "updating a website" from a central spot that allows users to have their own accounts... L O L.

The fire departments could technically do this on their own site just as easily with a custom program, etc.

I guess the point is it's "COOL" now but in the years or even months to come does that mean the fire department, police, rc, etc are gonna jump ship and follow the trends?

An interesting approach at something that could have and should have been done already. Publish on your own site, provide XML feed, bam no need to use twitter or a 3rd party.

#147643 - 09/06/08 01:07 PM Re: Twitter: It's Not Just For Kids Any More [Re: Todd W]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: ToddW
From a 'web guy' point of view Twitter is nothing new. The technology, idea, etc isn't even new. Someone just tossed a new word at "updating a website" from a central spot that allows users to have their own accounts... L O L.

The fire departments could technically do this on their own site just as easily with a custom program, etc.

I guess the point is it's "COOL" now but in the years or even months to come does that mean the fire department, police, rc, etc are gonna jump ship and follow the trends?

An interesting approach at something that could have and should have been done already. Publish on your own site, provide XML feed, bam no need to use twitter or a 3rd party.

Wow, you totally missed the central idea - the SMS gateway services provided by Twitter and the immediate ability for ad-hoc group messaging.

We use SMS for dispatch messaging, and it takes 48 to 72 hours to get a phone number added to the dispatch list from 911. I could put an XML feed on www.ubefire.com but NONE of the members but me would even be able to pull an RSS feed to their phone.

The idea that I could invite the community to "follow" the fire company - and I don't need to know (nor care about) anything about them - I don't need to know their phone number, their carrier, if they are getting updated via the SMS, via the web, via RSS, or both.

That's the point - it's not "cool" it's "easy and effective" something that I think is often lost on technologists who often tell me how "easy" X, Y and Z is with XML SOAP PHP LAMP and all that, yet when it comes to intersecting with ordinary folks and technology, it's always some major issues and problems and the quest for perfect & easy is never ended.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 542 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.