Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#147009 - 09/01/08 09:39 PM Re: So your stomping around [Re: ]
Ranter Offline

Loc: Wyoming
Seems to me the reactions are about equal, some would walk away and others wouldn't be as calm. I have to say none on my mountain property survive meeting me. My DW, my dog, my friends and their kids all stomp around up there. I'll leave them alone anywhere else but not on my place. It's been my experience the timber rattlers are too aggressive to have close to home. Maybe I'm overly paranoid but I can't get past my primal fear of them. I wonder what the psychology is behind that, some people including DW aren't bothered by snakes in the least. Me, I'm generally ok as long as I know they are there. I really HAVE seen Epirider levitate at the sight of one and others will react with immediate deadly force. Anyone else in an area with a fairly high dangerous snake population? what do you do?

#147016 - 09/01/08 11:25 PM Re: So your stomping around [Re: Ranter]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Ranter
Anyone else in an area with a fairly high dangerous snake population? what do you do?

Copperheads here. Not deadly, but very painful. Almost stepped on one several months ago. I didn't even see it until I was standing right next to it. Don't know why it didn't bite me, but I'm glad it didn't. I didn't kill it. As long as they don't come too close to the house, I'll leave them be.

My uncle, on the other hand, has no mercy for snakes. Doesn't matter if it's a dangerous snake or not. If he sees em, he shoots em.

#147017 - 09/01/08 11:25 PM Re: So your stomping around [Re: Ranter]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
We used to get a lot of snakes on our property in California, king snakes I believe. We left them alone, they're not dangerous. Our neighbor down the street would kill them, kill any kind of snake in fact. It turns out king snakes either eat rattle snakes or so strongly compete with them that if you have lots of king snakes you don't have rattlers. She killed the king snakes, she got rattlers.

#147019 - 09/01/08 11:47 PM Re: So your stomping around [Re: Ranter]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
I advocate deadly force and a lot of it. As for Rantor - I can attest to him not allowing snakes on his property (the slithery kind or the 2 legged kind). Once witnessed Rantor shoot a timber rattler with three shots fast enough that it looked like a continously growing mussle flash. It was fast! I personally do not like stopping until I am out of ammo or I am sure that soup would be the only meal that could be made of the snake. By the way... did I mention that I dont like snakes....

#147026 - 09/02/08 01:13 AM Re: So your stomping around [Re: epirider]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Snakes have always freaked me out.

Whether venomous or not, it really doesn't make any real difference to me. We have a bunch of long skinny black snakes here in NC, and they actually tend to freak me out worse than the large western diamondbacks that I used to see occasionally when we lived in SoCal.

My policy regarding snakes in the wild is to give them all the room they desire. My fear of snakes keeps me from going into the woods as often as I would otherwise, but when I do and run across a snake, I do not forget who lives there and who's visiting.

On the other hand, non-venomous snakes that find their way onto my property will either be relocated by a neighbor if one's available, or will be killed. Venomous snakes on my property unfortunately don't get the opportunity for the catch and release program, as I just don't want to risk ever having them show up a second time.

Unfortunately the last couple of times that my wife and I have stumbled across snakes here at our home, it did not end well for the snake. It's not that I take any pleasure in killing them, it is simply a case that my irrational fear of snakes is such that unless I know they have been relocated several miles away or killed, I'll convince myself they are still there just waiting...

Earlier this summer while watering plants, my wife ran across three small snakes (~2 feet long). I went next door to summon my neighbor (who is not afraid of snakes) although he was quite concerned that they were copperheads, so he opted to kill them rather than take a chance. It bothered me quite a bit that he chose to kill them, but it's not like I could have fought through my own fear of snakes to relocate them.

A couple of months ago while having my nightly cup of decaf out on the side porch before bed, I caught some movement out of the corner of my eye. There, not more than a foot from where I was sitting was a black snake...

While certainly not poisonous, seeing this freaked me out pretty good. As soon as I moved the thing tried to bite me, and then even continued to slither after me as I retreated into the safety of the garage.

Talk all you want about how snakes control rodents and other pests, and won't bother you if you don't bother them, but we have two small dogs (a Yorkie and a Toy Poodle) that pass through that same area several times a day (not to mention myself and my wife) so I have absolutely no desire to have a snake that large and aggressive hanging around.

Relocation was simply not an option, as it was the Fourth of July holiday and all of the neighbors were staying at the beach or out of town visiting family, so he was quickly dispatched as humanely as possible and placed into a garbage bag:

Just thinking about it again kinda gives me the willies...

Jim

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (09/02/08 02:10 AM)

#147031 - 09/02/08 01:46 AM Re: So your stomping around [Re: Paragon]
Matt Offline

Loc: Texas
We have 4 types of venomous snakes here in Texas. Rattlesnakes, copperheads, coral snakes and Cottonmouths/Water Moccasins. They are not worth messing with, but if they are hanging around where you frequent (deer stand), they're killed.

I think cottonmouths are the worst. They have a bad attitude and will actually chase you.

Crofab is the antivenom used for rattlesnakes. It cost 2-4 thousand dollars a vile and the average amount used is 10 vials, plus a 3 day stay in the ICU in case of anaphlaxis. At least that is the SOP at our hospital for a bad bite. I can't afford to get bit.

#147054 - 09/02/08 07:59 AM Re: So your stomping around [Re: epirider]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Originally Posted By: epirider
... did I mention that I dont like snakes....

Yes, it makes the caduceus pictured in your avatar rather ironic.

#147063 - 09/02/08 12:32 PM Re: So your stomping around [Re: Nicodemus]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
I have no poisonous snakes in my region, and I try to let the garden snakes be. They're small compared to the snakes you guys deal with and certainly not dangerous.
However, if some kind of climate shift forces the poisonous snakes closer... well, I'd kill a coyote if he came sniffing around the chicken coop and I'd kill a viper if he came sniffing around my house. Or the coop.

#147157 - 09/03/08 12:25 AM Re: So your stomping around [Re: Nicodemus]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
I would like to thank you for pointing that out. Man ... I was SOOOOO close to graduating and now I have to change my major. <look to the heavens and stomp off mumbling about stupid snakes>

#147163 - 09/03/08 01:06 AM Re: So your stomping around [Re: epirider]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl

We were living in the foothills of the Adirondacks, 23 acres of overgrown farmland. There was a dug well in the back yard, and it housed a colony of DeKays snakes. Pretty olive green on top, lavender underneath, don't smell bad or nip like garter snakes-the perfect show-and-tell for my daughters second grade class with the 'snakes are our friends' message. I contacted her teacher, who thought it was a fine idea. So daughter, her younger sister and I gathered half a dozen snakes in a five gallon pail ang schlepped them to school a couple days later. Carried them into the classroom, saying "The snakes are here, the snakes are here!" Sadly, the regular teacher was out sick that day, and had left her class in the care of a substitute teacher who wasn't prepared for our arrival. The sub may still be on top of the desk, shrieking. Very difficult to deliver the snakes=friends message in that environment. I took the critters back and turned them loose, but my daughters kept catching them and bringing them inside. Sadly, their mom shared the mindset of the substitute teacher-she would occasionally chase snakes on our riding lawnmower, resulting in interesting paths through the tall grass around the house. Teaching the kids to like snakes may have been the cruelest thing I ever did to her. Did I mention that we are not together anymore?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 354 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 06:24 PM
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.