Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#147010 - 09/01/08 10:01 PM Re: Survival gardeners - how are things coming along? [Re: GameOver]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Hilarious! A friend of mine used the same technique to get out of weeding duties for life. :-)

#147011 - 09/01/08 10:03 PM Re: Survival gardeners - how are things coming along? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
I tried growing red brandywine tomatoes this year. Not a single tomato. The flowers bloomed and mysteriously fell off without setting any fruit.

I suspect they weren't pollinated. Do you have bees around? If not, grab a Q-tip and make buzzing noises as you go from flower to flower.

Edited by dougwalkabout (09/01/08 10:03 PM)

#147018 - 09/01/08 11:39 PM Re: Survival gardeners - how are things coming along? [Re: dougwalkabout]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
I tried growing red brandywine tomatoes this year. Not a single tomato. The flowers bloomed and mysteriously fell off without setting any fruit.

I suspect they weren't pollinated. Do you have bees around? If not, grab a Q-tip and make buzzing noises as you go from flower to flower.

Tried that with my finger (minus the buzzing noises) and it didn't work.

#147027 - 09/02/08 01:24 AM Re: Survival gardeners - how are things coming along? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
DaveT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Grew my first garden this year. Mixed results.

Posted out a bed a bit shy of 20' x 30'. My neighbor rototilled it for me, and then I fenced it in (deer, rabbits, groundhogs, squirrels and chipmunks).

We got a late start to the whole process (June), and the kids put some seeds - corn, carrots and sunflowers - into pots to start. By the time we got an actual garden bed set up, the seedlings were growing too thickly in the pots. When I went to transplant them, they were wispy and barely able to stand. Luckily, the corn's done well - it's almost ready to pick.

Had to add chickenwire to the bottom two feet of the four-foot-high fence to keep out the baby rabbits, which ate the sunflowers and nibbled some other things. It's worked fine - nothing else has been nibbled.

So, this would be a learning year. Some of the things I learned:

Don't plant stuff in the gap between zucchini and yellow squash plant hills. The spacing looks great when everythings a sprout, and becomes a problem when the 4- or 5-foot radius of leaves overshadows and hides the carrots and leeks. They don't grow much after that.

I don't need to plant three hills of pumpkins - especially as I watch them spread and the tiny "whiskers" start grabbing the tomatoes and smaller plants.

Tomatoes are doing well - so well, that they grew out the top of the wire frames that support them, tipped some over, and grew so far over the others that they're basically killing themselves by bending double with the weight of the tomatoes they're producing.

Zucchini and summer squash have been fantastic - but then I got a white mildew which has killed them, as well as the pumpkins and cantelope. I (too late) read that this can be treated with a mixture of one part milk to five parts water, sprayed on the leaves frequently. I'll know for next year and catch it early.

Herbs did well, mostly - especially parsley, thyme and rosemary. I've killed at least three different window box attempts at herb gardens as an apartment dweller, so this was satisfying. Cilantro grew well, but went to seed very early. So did fennel - grew very nicely, then went to seed and I never did get to have any.

Watermelon and lettuce never went anywhere.

Anyway, I have lots of ideas for next year, and it has been satisfying to eat what has come out of the garden.

Dave

#147041 - 09/02/08 02:50 AM Re: Survival gardeners - how are things coming along? [Re: GameOver]
NorCalDennis Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sierra Foothills, Nor Cal
Originally Posted By: GameOver
I will say the radishes did not do too well...

My youngest came inside and was all proud to tell me that she had weeded the garden for me.

Hard to get angry at a 4 year old who wants to help, and yet she had carefully pulled every radish seedling out of the ground...

Our 2 1/2 year old son did the same. He was supposed to be picking radishes, which we planted in mass as a cover for other seeds coming up. When my wife turned around to see that he had picked several other plants - pumpkin starts for one, she about blew a gasket.

Her second planting of pumpkin seeds are now doing great, and our son is able to walk through the garden picking ripe tomatos or green beans - snacking on them as he goes - I think that's a pretty good way to raise a boy these days.

#147073 - 09/02/08 01:33 PM Re: Survival gardeners - how are things coming along? [Re: Mike_in_NKY]
mountainboy Offline

Loc: northeast alabama
fried fried an pickled okra

#147130 - 09/02/08 08:28 PM Re: Survival gardeners - how are things coming along? [Re: dougwalkabout]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
If we were growing all our own food, we'd be dead long ago.

Although we got a good harvest of tomatoes and zucchini, the root crops all failed this year. Also, we learned that we really need like 2 acres totally clear land for enough sun. And there's no way we could grow enough grain here.

I simply didn't have the time to properly tend the garden as it was, at least the peas came in fine.

#147148 - 09/02/08 11:34 PM Re: Survival gardeners - how are things coming along? [Re: MartinFocazio]
BlueSky Offline

Loc: DFW TX
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
If we were growing all our own food, we'd be dead long ago.

Indeed, it's very humbling.

#147177 - 09/03/08 02:19 AM Re: Survival gardeners - how are things coming along? [Re: BlueSky]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
Well, it's not a survival garden*, but the raspberry patch I planted this spring is coming along nicely. I'm glad I planted some "ever-bearing" varieties, because some of those are producing already! That's what I missed most when I moved a year and a half ago. I had a really nice raspberry patch, but I forgot what I planted 15 years ago. Now I'm keeping track of what I planted. I also put in a lot of effort amending the heavy clay soil.

* unless maybe you count surviving the sticker shock of raspberry prices in the store.

#147189 - 09/03/08 03:11 AM Re: Survival gardeners - how are things coming along? [Re: MartinFocazio]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...zucchini..."

Oh yuk. Don't make me tell you why I hate that stuff...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Phaedrus, SRMC), 268 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/23/24 06:24 PM
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
05/19/24 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.