Originally Posted By: SBRaider
Originally Posted By: dweste
My potential ditch bag budget now far exceeds all other sailboat-related acquisition and first-year costs, except for consumables. Good thing I don't plan any extensive cruising until year 2!

Living aboard is not much different than cruising IMHO, other than the time between supply stops, pump outs, etc.. You still have to maintain the boat and keep it in good condition. You living aboard costs may be close to the basic costs of cruising. You are spending the same time on the boat, maybe just not moving as much.

After inspecting the boat yesterday, things are getting more serious. Pending a satisfactory marine survey and at least one sea trial to shake out each sail and get some idea how she handles, I think we are going to do business.

SBRaider, you may be right about cruising costs not being much more than live aboard while berthed costs. That is one of the things I will be tracking carefully.

Assuming the deal goes through, I think for a year or so the boat will be absorbing costs to cure various hopefully-one-time problems in addition to whatever turn out to be “normal” live aboard and maintenance costs.