The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#145645 - 08/24/08 04:00 PM Re: Sailboat ditch bag [Re: Todd W]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
For a ditch bag, one item that is really important is a cutting board.

Think about it, if your on an inflatable boat, how are you going to clean your catch?

When I use to sail, i cut a piece of wood that would fit the bottom of my ditch bag. Made it more sturdy, and doubles as a cutting board and anything else.

#145676 - 08/24/08 07:23 PM Re: Sailboat ditch bag [Re: Todd W]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
Keep some 3/4 full water jugs with your emergency raft.
3/4 full so they will float.
Perhaps store them in a short garbage can with a snap top.
If you do loose your boat and it the lid might pop off do to air pressure when the boat goes down.
I have read a few "it happened to me" type stories about
sinking's and they all mention not having floating water containers.

#145688 - 08/24/08 08:00 PM Re: Sailboat ditch bag [Re: dweste]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Another item some of the guys use when wreck diving is a OMS tube canister for the PLB. Just clip it on you and go, good to 660 feet so I think you won't have to worry about it getting wet.

http://www.omsdive.com/microfix.html

PLB-CAN-K 660’ Depth Rated Canister, slightly larger than the BCA298 to house the ACR Microfix PLB 9.19" OAL 2.5" ID 2.88" OD Buoyancy w/ PLB +0.15 lbs

http://www.omsdive.com/bc_access.html

Another option
I've been using a Nuuk for my GPS and Steripen and batteries, I don't know if it will fit the PLB, haven't tried it but I bet it will. This is my most used watershed bag and is good to 300 foot underwater at a price if $65.00 with a lifetime warranty and no O-rings or maintenance to do of the bag.

http://drybags.com/home.html

#145730 - 08/24/08 11:25 PM Re: Sailboat ditch bag [Re: falcon5000]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: falcon5000
Another item some of the guys use when wreck diving is a OMS tube canister for the PLB. Just clip it on you and go, good to 660 feet so I think you won't have to worry about it getting wet.

http://www.omsdive.com/microfix.html

PLB-CAN-K 660’ Depth Rated Canister, slightly larger than the BCA298 to house the ACR Microfix PLB 9.19" OAL 2.5" ID 2.88" OD Buoyancy w/ PLB +0.15 lbs

http://www.omsdive.com/bc_access.html

The MicroFix is waterproof to 5 meters (a conservative rating), so I don't think you really need to worry about additional protection vis-a-vis it being in a dry bag.

Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#145731 - 08/24/08 11:31 PM Re: Sailboat ditch bag [Re: falcon5000]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

If you need a good underwater ditch bag, take a look at watershed bags. I use them extensively on all my gear, in my pack,etc.. These bags are tough and are rated for 200 feet underwater with a lifetime warranty. I would recommend getting a purge valve with it if your interested. I carried these while traveling and could keep control of all my gear when swimming. Your gear won't get a drop wet with these bags.

http://drybags.com/home.html

Watershed makes good bags. You likely are well aware of this, but I'll mention it because I so often see it happen is people struggle trying to open the rubber zip sealed bags by pulling them straight apart. WRONG!

Grab the loops on other side of the seal and pull them sideways towards each other and it opens easily. I've suggested that they put instructions on the bag, and they tell me they have considered doing that, but so far they haven't yet done so.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#145756 - 08/25/08 01:19 AM Re: Sailboat ditch bag [Re: Doug_Ritter]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I know the ACR has a 15 foot depth rating but a lot of guys like to carry them diving as well in case the boat leaves you and the divers I run with vary depth from 150 to 300 feet underwater. If I got hit by a 100 foot rogue wave on a boat and by some miracle survived it, I would want to make sure my gear could handle more deeper water.

Also I will admit Doug, Watershed could do allot better on there presentation and use of there product and it's to bad they never took your recommendations but what can you do. Their web site doesn't give there product any kinda promotion whatsoever. If it wasn't for me trying one of there products out for experimentation, I would have never bought anything. I was so impressed with there products, I purchased all of there deck bags, all but one of there duffel bags and 1 backpack because they performed outstanding for the use I put them through. It was only when I got my bag when the warranty (lifetime) and depth rating (200-300 ft) was given. These bags have been so durable that all my electronic gear and sleeping bags and other critical stuff goes in them. I put all these bags in Osprey or north face packs depending on where I'm going and I can use them as a PFD (personal flotation device) if needed.

It was nice when I traveled overseas to have all my belongings carried on the boat taken with me while diving and not have to worry about boat handlers going through your stuff while underwater.

Example of grab bag: (2 watershed bags in a North face back pack)
Inside the bags 40 watt Solar cell and chargers,cables, GPS, Steripen, VHF radio, Combi filter, OR micronight Bivi, fire equipment, first aid kit, signaling equipment, compass and misc other things for example. Bags are rated at 200 feet underwater and the back pack is positive buoyant and can be used as a flotation device. Also I carried this backpack as a carry on overseas and even on puddle jumpers and had no problem with overhead bin storage or anybody giving me a hard time with the size.

Sure Shot Backpack from The North Face
http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/product.asp/item/211667/N/0/cmpn/900000/CMP/KNC-900000

#145766 - 08/25/08 02:53 AM Re: Sailboat ditch bag [Re: Todd W]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: ToddW
zip lock bags suck frown
I had used them in my lake hike / river exploration bag. They had worked for 1 year but my last trip everything got soaked frown

I think someone here posted a URL to a quality bag company.

For life raft/dingy use, I like clear Otter Boxes. Clear boxes so you can see at a glance what's in it. I also use color coded tags with a itemized list of what's in the box, attached to the box. Properly packed, they are water proof, and will float if needed. When empty, the Otter Boxes can serve as emergency water containers, bail containers, mixing bowls, etc..

I used a piece of sanilite cutting board in my old abandon ship bag, for life raft use.

A Otter Box with a nice fishing kit is not a bad thing to have in an abandon ship bag. Mine had several hundred feet of various weight line, 50 or so hooks, weights, swivels, floats, packaged bait, wire leaders, a floating Mora type knife, small knife sharpener, etc.

#145835 - 08/25/08 05:43 PM Re: Sailboat ditch bag [Re: Stu]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
My potential ditch bag budget now far exceeds all other sailboat-related acquisition and first-year costs, except for consumables. Good thing I don't plan any extensive cruising until year 2!

#145850 - 08/25/08 06:43 PM Re: Sailboat ditch bag [Re: falcon5000]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

...Sure Shot Backpack from The North Face...

FYI guys the eBags.com website usually has more and better photos of their products than the manufacturers and other vendors. You can zoom in and pan on each view. For example here is their page on the Sure Shot pack.

Even when I buy a pack somewhere else I often check eBags.com for better pics.

#145855 - 08/25/08 06:53 PM Re: Sailboat ditch bag [Re: dweste]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: dweste
My potential ditch bag budget now far exceeds all other sailboat-related acquisition and first-year costs, except for consumables. Good thing I don't plan any extensive cruising until year 2!

Living aboard is not much different than cruising IMHO, other than the time between supply stops, pump outs, etc.. You still have to maintain the boat and keep it in good condition. You living aboard costs may be close to the basic costs of cruising. You are spending the same time on the boat, maybe just not moving as much.

Edited by SBRaider (08/25/08 06:58 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 401 Guests and 55 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.