Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#145347 - 08/22/08 03:28 PM Re: Kids building a debris shelter... [Re: dweste]
red Offline

Originally Posted By: dweste
Originally Posted By: red
Originally Posted By: thseng
Perhaps I'm stupid, but this whole thread seems to be based on the assumption that the OP cut branches from public land.

Ding-ding-ding! We have a winner! The debris shelter is on my land, and it is not illegal nor unethical nor evil for a family to practice shelter building on their OWN LAND.

What we continue to have here is a failure to communicate.

No assumption about public versus private land changes the debate in any significant way regarding what kids should be taught about cutting live branches of trees. In general, respect for the environment is respect for the environment.

The activity of shelter building can be entirely admirable. The debate is how should kids be taught to do it. I say, no live branches should be cut unless there is a great need, and kids should be taught why.

Kids grow up to be developers, executives in resource companies, and politicians with a say in how we deal with the environment. I hope most of them will bring respect for the environment, and our dependency on it, to their decision-making. It is never too soon for them to begin their education.

I make no comment about religious observances, and would suggest playing the "religion card" is not germane to the overall debate.

First...DUDE! Didn't you detect the slightest whiff of sarcasm in my post? "Playing the religion card?" It was a JOKE! I respect your opinion. Don't teach *your* kids to cut live boughs. Great. Just don't tell me what I can do on my land, and I won't tell you what you can or cannot teach your kids. That's the problem with environmentalist activists (not that I'm calling you one). They feel like it's their prerogative to legislate how I treat the environment on my land.

#145389 - 08/22/08 08:32 PM Re: Kids building a debris shelter... [Re: red]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Red, I thought your post was sarcasm, but couldn't quite tell which way the weapon was pointed or if it was all intended as sarcasm - my bad!

We are way past doing whatever we want, whenever we want, anywhere on the planet, public or private. Is this good or bad? Depends on my mood. Was it ever different, probably not except in degree.

Zoning laws, pollution laws, local laws, state laws, and federal laws all tell us what we can do or not do on "our" land because the effects of what we do does not stay on our land. Peer pressure, church pressure, nosey neighbor pressure, etcetera all succeed in keeping what we do on "our" land limited on a less formal - but just as powerful - basis.

But I am not advocating any of that in this thread. My point is that kids learn fast from our examples and we should try to teach them the best we can: cutting live branches from trees -wherever the tree happens to be located - should be part of a larger lesson about treating the environment we share.

So I have had my say; I think I am going to let this thread go where it wishes. I am going on to something else.

Edited by dweste (08/22/08 08:52 PM)

#145422 - 08/22/08 10:51 PM Re: Kids building a debris shelter... [Re: red]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Crouching Flutist...knowthat's a well known gang symbol..."

A gang of pregnant women I'll bet...

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 427 Guests and 48 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.