Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#144782 - 08/19/08 04:39 PM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
firefly99 Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

This is one I made up myself using a few spare bits of tackle and line.

I had something very similar. Will post a photo shortly.

As promised, here is my emergency fishing kit.

Edited by firefly99 (08/21/08 09:39 AM)

#144787 - 08/19/08 05:00 PM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: firefly99]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I will admit I am one of the people who hasn't included line or hooks in my BOB or PSK, though I usually throw my tackle bag and a rod in my vehicle when we drive out of town.

What I love about the ETS forums is some questions really make you consider your preparedness posture and what your motivation is.

Damn, and I love to fish too. Thanks

#144791 - 08/19/08 05:36 PM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: comms]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Since we try to be prepared for the unexpected, and being stuck for longer than 72 hours might be one of the unexpected things that happens, I feel that at least a minimal fishing kit has a good enough weight/space to possible usefulness ratio to warrant its inclusion in my BOB.

With that said, I carry approximately 25-30 pounds of stored fat with me at all times, so I could probably last for more than a few days without food. Yes, I tell people that my fat is part of my survival strategy. wink

#144797 - 08/19/08 06:12 PM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: firefly99]
Stein Offline
Stranger

I would think that it depends on what part of the country you are in. Obviously, you cannot always predict where you will end up, but if you spend most of your time near the coast as opposed to the interior your gear should look different.

In salt water, a bait rig would be a great way to get many small fish. It has about 10 hooks prefabbed on line and feathers or beads as attractors.

Inland, your best bet is likely small trout in small streams or small pond bobber fishing. Line, hooks a bobber and maybe a bit of artificial bait or planning on using insects, grubs or worms.

Without a rod, I just don't see hooking and landing anything larger than 8" or so.

Outside of that, it is an excercise in passing time - like fishing is for me most of the time anyway.

For an offshore marine kit, fishing is a much bigger deal as one could spend quite a bit of time in a raft as history has shown and a fishing kit could easily make the difference between survival and the alternate.

#144800 - 08/19/08 06:21 PM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: NightHiker]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Dammit, how many times do I have to say it? "It's not fat, it's HYPOTHERMIA INSURANCE!" laugh

Another fine example of multi-purposing.

#144807 - 08/19/08 07:52 PM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: Grouch]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
Due to some medical notion called 'healthy living' my doctor wanted me to eat only 1800 calories a day and lose a little weight. Clearly, after reading Grouch's excellent post, I realize I have fallen victim to a fad. I have now begun a "rebuilding process" so that my EDC includes an amount closer to 20-25 pounds of AWMIASS (Above-Waist-Mounted-Internally-Accessed-Survival-Sustenance).

#144832 - 08/19/08 10:40 PM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: firefly99]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Firefly, read all of my post. I primarily mentioned my small kits, like the PSK that is ALWAYS with me in my EDC bag. I did mention that I have more in my bigger kits.

For bugging in supplies, I've got a 5 gallon bucket full of line, hooks, spoons, flies, soft baits, leaders, swivels, sinkers, bobbers, a few frog gigs, and a couple of nets. Along with rat traps, wire, screw eyes and small, shiny dangly bits to use as bait. Never seen a squirrel that didn't investigate a shiny. But in this case, my "fishing" is more like trapping, set it up and leave while you take care of something, check it two or three times during the day. That's why I've got the nets, and know how to make various fish traps.

For BoB, I have an altoids tin full hooks, sinkers, swivels, and some soft baits (frog, crawdad, small worm). There is also a couple of leaders, and a several yarn bobbins with 20 and 50 pound braided specta, and a couple of small jingle bells- put one of those on the set pole, and when you get a bite, you go take care of it.

*grins* Better? Now, I should point out a small philosophical difference. For me, BoB gets me home to my folks if where I am isn't tenable. The heavy bug in gear is there, just because I don't have good storage here- thus, my 5 gallon can is there. But to me, these aren't survival kits. If I'm going home, it's to stay, that's living gear. BoB gets me home if the car is screwed up.

Also keep in mind, I hate fresh water fish.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#144845 - 08/19/08 11:37 PM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: ]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: sockpuppet
Who are some of you guys kidding? At the best of times, even on a fishing trip when I take all my fishing tackle, hip waders, a 1000 dollar rod and a bloody dip net I can still go without getting a bite for a long time. If the season or location is not ideal, then you could go even longer in an emergency. Anyone who thinks they are going to land enough fish to live on with a couple of plain hooks and a few meters of line stuffed into a pill jar is smoking crack.([i]

C'mon, it's all part of a bigger plan. Multiple options can increase the chances of success. When one needs food, "too many irons in the fire" doesn't apply. Catch fish or squirrels with the tackle. It's all tasty when properly charred.

#144849 - 08/19/08 11:49 PM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...a 1000 dollar rod..."

If you lose interest in fishing, can I have your gear???

#144858 - 08/20/08 12:30 AM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: ]
Cyblade Offline
Journeyman

I'm a firm beleaver in it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. If you go up to a body of water that may have fish it's worth a shot but then you also shouldnt count on it alone. Theres many rivers and ponds around here where you wouldnt catch anything but crawfish but thats not to say that you couldnt find a stream, lake or river with some edible fish in it and you never know where you might have to survive so why not have a small kit that you could at least try.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 302 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.