Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#150536 - 09/30/08 10:17 PM Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) [Re: Paragon]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Man, I would love to just get the STOMP bag, simply for its great versatility and ability to organize.

I think I said it before, but great job man! As some have pointed out... might want some more Narcan if you have morphine. Narcan has a fast half-life. A 9.0 ET tube is probably too big for most things, but hey, they're light-weight.

BTW, I can't wait til I finally graduate, get my DEA license, and start buying some of that for my kit!

#150548 - 10/01/08 01:03 AM Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) [Re: MDinana]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

are you studying to be a doc?

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#150556 - 10/01/08 02:24 AM Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) [Re: scabby]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: scabby
Paragon,

Just some quick question on the pack its self.

In 'panel 4' I see two bags with mesh tops (one contains quick clot and the other has your books/info/cheat sheets).

1/Do those bags come with the lit, or did you buy them else where?

2/Are the removable or fixed??

The mesh panels are sewn into the pack, and serve as the dividers for the removable airway and injectables kits. The literature was acquired separately, as was everything else in the FAK.

Panel #3, Zippered Pocket, Top

1/Would you say that this pocket can hold an Ambu SPUR II BVM?

Not without significantly crushing it -- the pocket is only a few inches deep. The 3-Day assualt pouches on either side of the pack are just the right diameter for the BVM.

How did you attach the Blackhawk® 3-Day Assault Pack Accessory Pouch, on the sides of your kit?

The accessory packs feature a pair of male and female side release buckles and straps which simply insert (in series) into the existing STOMP II side compression straps. The accessory pouches essentially then serve as the compression straps once installed, and swing down out of the way when access to the main pack is required.

Originally Posted By: MDiana
As some have pointed out... might want some more Narcan if you have morphine. Narcan has a fast half-life. A 9.0 ET tube is probably too big for most things, but hey, they're light-weight.

The Narcan has since been increased to 10mg (1mg/mL x 10mL vial).

Although they are somewhat difficult to see in the photo, there is also a 6.0mm and a 7.5mm ET tube in addition to the two 9.0 ET tubes located in the airway kit. I also have two King LT-D supraglottic airways (red tip) for PT’s 5’ to 6’ tall (one in the airway kit and a second in the supplemental airway accessory pouch).

Jim

#151323 - 10/08/08 11:57 PM Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) [Re: Paragon]
JerryS Offline
Stranger

Most Excellent Jim,

I have been spending a few days checking things out and flowing the links you provided to the different vendors.(saved yourself a lot of answering "were did you get that") I myself am a EMT-I and work in a Hyperbaric and wound clinic as a CHT and I am always looking for more information and training. I like the King LT-D, I am looking more in to it to put in to my kit, and have seen some other items that you have that I will be picking up soon also.

Keep it up! with you in the neighborhood that DR friend will be looking for you when the SHTF

JerryS

#152243 - 10/17/08 09:18 PM Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) [Re: JerryS]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

I wanted to go ahead and post a few photos of some of the items that others had suggested that I add to the FAK, as well as a few other things that I've picked up here and there since I originally posted:

I moved the Albuterol Rescue Inhaler over to the "Airway Kit" and substituted a Primatene Mist inhaler (next to the two EpiPens in Panel #2) to offer an intermediate (i.e., non-invasive) option for the potential treatment of less serious respiratory allergic reactions. The EpiPens remain the primary treatment option for more serious allergic reactions, including anaphylaxis.

I was able to pick up a couple of additional KING LT-D supralaryngeal airways at a decent price off ebay, so I went ahead and added one to my vehicle and camping FAK's (I already have two of these in the STOMP II in addition to several traditional ET tubes, and given the availability of the laryngoscope in the STOMP II, I don't really need any additional supralaryngeal airways here).

As Jim suggested, I added a RES-Q-VAC suction unit with a 40fr flexible Yankauer, as well as an additional 300 mL canister/FSP filter assembly.

Also as Jim suggested, I picked up a couple of B.I.G. (I/O Bone Injection Gun) intraosseous devices to supplement the existing IV supplies that I have. I had originally only intended to add the adult version (15ga needle x 2.5 cm injection depth) although Chinook mistakenly shipped one of the pediatric versions (18ga needle x 0.5 - 1.5 cm adjustable injection depth) to me instead, so I will probably go ahead and keep it just in case it's ever needed.

To round out the current IV supplies, I added three (3) large bore 14ga x 2" catheters, a 10 drop/mL Coil-IV administration kit, and a couple of large bore non-DEHP stopcocks. I can’t really envision ever needing anything this big, but a number of people felt the 18ga stuff I have was a bit wimpy.

-- Continued below --

#152245 - 10/17/08 09:20 PM Re: Paragon's STOMP II Medical Pack (56k Warning!) [Re: Paragon]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

-- Continued --

I’ve wanted to improve the capability of my field suturing kit for quite some time, but I didn’t really feel that I was knowledgeable enough to do so. I had an opportunity a few weeks ago during some wilderness training to get some additional practice, and I also did a fair amount of independent reading on the subject. Once again, closing a laceration outside of a hospital environment is not something that I really anticipate having to do, but if it ever becomes necessary, then I want to be sure that I have the correct supplies for the job.

Obviously the likelihood of ever needing to suture internal organs is extremely remote (even in a PAW or EOTWAWKI scenario) so non-absorbable sutures are the preferred choice for subcutaneous tissue closure. 4-0 (.15mm) sutures seem to offer the optimal compromise between tensile strength and size for anything that I’m ever likely to suture. Being synthetic, polypropylene offers exceptional resistance to degradation and tissue reactivity, while being a monofilament suture it offers some additional resistance to infection (over braided sutures).

I purchased three dozen 18” Ethicon Prolene sutures with the 3/8” MultiPass PS-2 reverse cutting needle. Obviously I don’t need this many sutures on-hand, although being fresh they have an expiration of July 2013, so if anyone is looking for just a few packages and doesn’t want to purchase a dozen at a time, shoot me a PM and we’ll work something out.

Looking over Jim’s STOMP II when he first posted it a few weeks ago I realized that I had completely overlooked the need for sterilized gloves (especially should I ever need to close a wound with sutures) so I added three pairs of these to the FAK.

I had originally planned on picking up a Nonin Onyx pulse oximeter at some point, so when I had a chance to pick one up at a decent price, I jumped on it. The Pelican case is the Justice Mark II version specifically designed for this SpO2 meter, and is available through Chinook Medical.

While I was looking over Chinook’s site the other week I ran across theses little QuikClots gauze pads (2g each) intended for nosebleeds. I had not seen these before, so I decided to pick some up to have available the next time I run across a persistent nosebleed.

I recently saw a bunch of specialty bandages and dressings at the local discount store for 75% off, so I grabbed pretty much everything they had left that had a reasonable expiration date. I really got excited when I saw the Hibastat towelettes thinking that they were perhaps the US equivalent of Hibicet – alas, they are not, so I guess I’ll have to strike up a deal with Jim to get him to ship some to me sometime.

At $180 an ounce I’ve never tried Neuragen PN, although I’ve heard several people claim it works phenomenally for nerve pain. I’m generally a bit skeptical when it comes to homeopathic treatments, but for 75% off (and another 2.5 years before it expires) I figured what the hell. Anyone here ever use it?

So anyway, that’s where my STOMP II is at currently. I still want to add an AED, an O2 cylinder, and a few miscellaneous items, but I feel that I’m in pretty good shape for anything that may occur. As always, comments or suggestions are always appreciated.

Jim

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 560 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.