Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#144736 - 08/19/08 12:48 PM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: Angel]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Interesting concept. Hopefully your hat won't blow away. Been there, done that, more than once...

#144742 - 08/19/08 12:52 PM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Angel Offline

I've had it for years and havent lost it yet, never even came close to losing it. It is starting to look like it's been camping way to many times though so I may get a new one for next year.

#144744 - 08/19/08 01:03 PM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: OldBaldGuy]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
For a survival kit, I like eagle claw #374 treble hooks from #12 to #8 size, 20 lb braided line, a jar of powerbait, and maybe a bobber or two and a couple split shot, but nothing too fancy. Most of the time, I prefer natural bait, but powerbait keeps well and seems effective for most things.

#144755 - 08/19/08 02:36 PM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I like 3-20 m of heavy line and small and med hooks.

#144763 - 08/19/08 03:25 PM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: firefly99]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
For what a homemade "emergency" fishing kit weighs, and for it's small size, why not have one with you BOB or a small fishing setup with your PSK?
Besides a food source on land a water, the fishing kit has many other uses, such as line for tyeing things, lures can be used as small hanging "flashers" that may or may not attract attention, etc.. If stranded, the fishing gear could keep your mind active, and give you something to do.

I will always have a fishing kit in my BOB, and PSK (personal support kit).

#144768 - 08/19/08 03:43 PM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Can anyone name a single recent survival situation where anyone was saved because they were carrying a mini fishing kit?
boreal.net

#144772 - 08/19/08 03:55 PM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: BruceZed]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: BruceZed
Can anyone name a single recent survival situation where anyone was saved because they were carrying a mini fishing kit?

I can't. But I have seen people starving on the TV show "Survivor" because they couldn't catch any fish. LOL!

I think I read somewhere that most survival situations don't last more than 72 hours. No one is going to starve to death in 72 hours, although you may feel like it. Me personally, I don't like the idea of depending on other people to save me. What if I'm out there for a long time? I'm going to look for every opportunity to feed myself. Large game, medium game, small game, insects, plants, fish... they're all on the menu.

#144774 - 08/19/08 03:58 PM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: BruceZed]
Angel Offline

My goal in a wilderness situation isn't to just survive but to thrive. I keep my fishing kit with me anytime I am in the wilderness. It comes in handy for more than fishing and I have been stranded for a week with no food, and while that isn't really a long time, it was made easier by fishing and kept us fed.

#144778 - 08/19/08 04:18 PM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: Angel]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
My philosophy is that I already have some nice strong upholstery thread in my kit for sewing repairs, etc. Why not throw in a few small hooks?

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#144779 - 08/19/08 04:29 PM Re: Fishing line & hooks in survival kits [Re: ironraven]
firefly99 Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: ironraven
the biggest role of a fishing kit is to keep you out of trouble and near a clear spot where air search can find you in the first three days.

Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
I think I read somewhere that most survival situations don't last more than 72 hours.
I think it is a big mistake to prepare your survival kit or BOB for 72hours and expect help to come within that period. Seriously, in recent disasters such as NO floods, Burma flood, China earthquake, help or rescue teams took as long as 2 weeks or longer to reach disaster sites.

Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
My fishing experience has taught me that you almost never come home with the same number of hooks that you left with.

Hooks are extremely lightweight and don't take up much space at all. I see no reason not to bring more than you think you might need, just in case. I have approximately 200 hooks, ranging from very small for panfish to very large for catfish.

The same applies to line. Several hundred yards of braided fishing line wrapped around a pencil weighs virtually nothing, so why not have it?
Totally agreed.

Originally Posted By: Angel
My survival fishing kit is all on my hat. I have a straw cowboy hat that I took the hatband off of. I took a small spool of firewire, I think it's about 25lb test. I wound it around where the hatband was and connected it in the back with reusable sinkers, to keep it from getting it tangled I put about 5 snap swivels on the line all the way around. On the inside of the hat band I put various sized hooks and taped them down. I put the hat band back on , covering the fishing line. On the front, I took a couple of feathered jigs and a small snap swivel and attatched them. It looks good and I have enough fishing supplies to actually do some good and it doesn't take up any room.
Very cool concept.

Edited by firefly99 (08/19/08 04:44 PM)

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 505 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.