The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#144595 - 08/18/08 02:35 PM A chink in your armor
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
I see lots of talk regarding self-defense in preparedness circles. You've got people talking about guns, defensive EDC, psychology of "fighting dirty" in a survival situation, et cetera. One common theme is that the opponent is always assumed to be male.

Now, I'm guilty as much as the next guy and probably quite a bit more. When you're shadow boxing, you're unlikely to see your potential opponent as a 5'2" 90 lbs waitress. Besides the physiological disadvantages, women are usually seen as more of a benevolent and responsible force in male conflicts.

But wait: under normal conditions, doesn't that apply to everyone? We're all nice and cuddly with food on our plates and water in our sink, no? So if you're assuming you might need to physically defend yourself from a crazed bank director, shouldn't you also account for the possibility his wife will come into the picture at some point?

This is where things get... weird. There is a good reason guys aren't fond of attacking potential mates. Hulk no smash Betty, Hulk love Betty! It's hard to hit a woman and it damn well better be. I feel all dirty just by typing it. Yet, as with other aspects of preparedness, some psychological barriers need to be overcome.

So, how much of a threat can a woman be, really? My guess, quite a bit. Think of her as a 100 pounds of bone, muscle, teeth and nails (and they're bigger than yours). While you're fussing to be a gentleman about it, she's gauging out your eyes and tearing your balls off. Seriously, I know some extra nice ones. They acknowledge they'll be destroyed in a fist-fight, so they've got rapid suppression plans all drawn up in advance. o_0

Now that we've established women as a bigger threat than wild dogs and looters combined, what do we do about it? To be honest, I have no idea how to "fight dirty" against a woman. I've never hurt a gal in my life, nor do I intend to. I could ask about weak points, but I'm afraid they'll think all this talk about female self-defense is coming from an aspiring rapist. Hell, you should have thought that yourself two paragraph ago! I'll just have to try not to get on any female survivor's bad side...

P.S. Well, there was that one time I squeezed some-body's hand a little too hard. If push comes to shove, I guess we can always try and cheat our way to life and victory: before the two of us abandon our last remnants of humanity and go for each other's throats over that last piece of ham, why not wish each other luck with a sporty hand-shake?

www.kravmagafederation.com

#144598 - 08/18/08 02:58 PM Re: A chink in your armor [Re: Rodion]
Angel Offline

Speaking as a woman , there are only about 2 types of women that a person really doesn't want to trifle with. A mother protecting her kids and a woman with PMS and a gun. These are Run Away situations, the latter being a beg for your life as you run away situation.

#144606 - 08/18/08 03:59 PM Re: A chink in your armor [Re: Rodion]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
When I took Kung-Fu, it wasn't at all rare to spar women in class. Any reservations I had about fighting a woman that was out to do me harm was beaten out of me in that class.

I'm not condoning hitting women, and I'm not trying to be shocking or a jerk, but if someone is out to do me harm they will be stopped if I can manage it.

All of the same critical strike points apply to a woman except for perhaps the crotch shot and I wouldn't rely on a crotch shot with a man either.

The only time I would consider "fighting dirty" to mean anything at all is in sanctioned fighting events where there are clear rules as to what is acceptable. The term means nothing in a survival situation.

#144609 - 08/18/08 04:55 PM Re: A chink in your armor [Re: Nicodemus]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
I've always been around strong women, so I don't really have a hang-up about them.

#144623 - 08/18/08 06:54 PM Re: A chink in your armor [Re: Nishnabotna]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Having been the voluntary attacker (well-padded) in women's self-defense classes, I'll say: instep, knee, heel of hand to the nose. Each work well against male or female. Run from any women with a knife though...

#144625 - 08/18/08 07:10 PM Re: A chink in your armor [Re: Nishnabotna]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
Honestly, I don't really think this would be a chink in the armor.

If the SHTF and you are in true survival mode, you will see everyone as being "resource hungry" and after your resources.

It is instinctive to become xenophobic when resources are scarce. For those who don't have that instinct, be it man or woman, well they just be part of Darwin's theory...

Honestly, Rodion, I think your instinct would kick in.

#144641 - 08/18/08 08:27 PM Re: A chink in your armor [Re: clarktx]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
I too learned in martial arts training that there is a difference in 'hitting a lady' vs 'hitting a female'. This 5 foot nothing black belt told me to hit her. Being young and taught not to hit a lady...I told her as much. She again said to hit her....I repeated what I said. We were about 8 inches from each other....the next thing I know....I'm laying on my back looking face up at her. (Cresent Kick to the side of my head.....that I NEVER SAW.) I got up....she said hit me.....

I did.

You will learn too.

#144648 - 08/18/08 08:47 PM Re: A chink in your armor [Re: Rodion]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
I got news for everyone out there... My precious wife, standing at 5' 4" won the most outstanding female law enforcement officer in the USAF. She did this by not only being trained by the Air Force, but cross training with the Green Beret. She first gained their respect by qualifying expert with not only a 9mm but with AR-15 and the 60 cal. My wife is a very viable threat to any and all comers that are infringing on the welfare of the family. As far as hitting a woman, I do not condone it, but in my wife's words "If she hits (attacks) like a man - then you should hit her like a man." Ya - in this day and age, anyone and I do mean ANYONE over the age of 12 can and should be considered capable of inflicting harm. That does not mean that they will, but they certainly have the potential.

#144655 - 08/18/08 10:03 PM Re: A chink in your armor [Re: Rodion]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Lets see...

My grandmother shot competitively in college (that's how she met my grandfather), and considered M-80s good clean fun.

My mother taught me how to throw knives.

My sister comes up to my shoulder and when we spar she throws me around like a rag doll. And I'm neither (a) going soft nor (b) untrained.

I do NOT, repeat, NOT discount women as being dangerous, scary and just plain able to kick my butt.

And when my DGF is made at me, she makes tofu, and gives me The Look until I eat it. She's mean.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention a female friend who is a Gaurdsman. She's a trunk monkey, and she thinks AT-4s and Claymores are "cute". *shudders*

YES, I KNOW SCARY WOMEN!
The worst danger is if you hurt them, I would be very, very annoyed with your existence in my space-time continuum.

Edited by ironraven (08/18/08 10:08 PM)

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#144656 - 08/18/08 10:06 PM Re: A chink in your armor [Re: ironraven]
sodak Offline
Addict

I make no distinctions between men and women for defense. I have no hangups hitting or shooting either.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.