Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#143999 - 08/13/08 02:46 AM Re: SAR comment on SPOT [Re: Lono]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: Lono
"the threesome felt there was no point in them all being cold when a helicopter would pick them up in the morning."

To get that kind of a reaction from a SAR spokesperson speaks louder than any you can dream up as devil's advocacy. If the lives of the injured climber's three friends would have been in danger by staying on the glacier then I think he would have said it, even given the benefit of the doubt while they abandoned their friend to the elements. Nothing of the kind though - and this took place at 8,200 feet, not 18,200 feet or even 28,200 feet where the real 'death zone' occurs.

My own devil's advocacy, what a bunch of wankers.

Yeah, probably. It's just that my experience with the press reportage of stories I've been personally a part of makes me suspicious that there's more to that story. One way or another, they invariably get it wrong.

Jeff

#144004 - 08/13/08 03:08 AM Re: SAR comment on SPOT [Re: Jeff_M]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Maybe so. Except in cases of rescue, quoting SAR spokespeople, SAR tends to err on the side of the rescued, after all most really do need the help, they're glad to give it, risking their lives etc. And here, the person with a broken leg probably needed help. Not so much his friends evidently. I'm struggling to find a reason for three to descend while leaving your friend alone with a broken leg on a glacier - was he the only one experienced in snow travel, did he have the only bivvy, the only sleeping bag, would he have stayed comfortable through the night, the others ill prepared for it? Were they equipped to dig a trench or snow cave for warmth? Its hard, if I put myself in their place I stay with poor Harvey through the night, and improvise a shared shelter, but I'm not a climber any more and tend to carry enough on a mountain for that kind of stuff. Clearing a snow cave for four would be pretty tough if all you had were ice axes, but digging down shouldn't be too much of a bother, and waiting for dawn in your bivy sack.

#144008 - 08/13/08 03:25 AM Re: SAR comment on SPOT [Re: Lono]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Perhaps these guys who had left there colleage behind had watched some documentary on Everest climbers and thought this was the done thing to do.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/13/08 03:27 AM)

#144023 - 08/13/08 10:29 AM Re: SAR comment on SPOT [Re: thseng]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: thseng
And a PLB is different how?

I've got the same question. Other than a two way radio, there isn't anything out there that will do that.

But I thought that the SPOT had the ability to send a text message with your location for the regular mapping part of it. Does it not give you that if you have to send out a mayday?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#144043 - 08/13/08 12:46 PM Re: SAR comment on SPOT [Re: ironraven]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
As I understand it, the text messages have to be preprogrammed using their web portal.

#144392 - 08/16/08 02:47 PM Re: SAR comment on SPOT [Re: Jeff_M]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
There were three fit hikers. It sounds to me like two of them stayed with the injured one while the third went down the mountain to make the first call. Then the caller returned to the group, and then the first two returned to base while the caller stayed with the injured man. There was talk of the two going back up with sleeping bags etc, but maybe the caller guy was able to get what was needed at the place he phoned from. If this is right, the two who left were not leaving the injured man alone. With hindsight it would have been better if at least one more person had stayed on the mountain, but they probably didn't think it was necessary.

Then the injured man got worse. The chap with him made another journey down to make a second phone call. At this point the injured man was left alone, but the caller didn't have much choice about it given the apparent escalation of the situation, and there now being no-one else on the mountain to leave with him.

After making the second call, the caller was unable to return. I'm guessing he was knackered on account of having travelled up and down twice and couldn't face a third ascent. He could have sent one of the other two, but by now that would have meant getting them out of bed. Probably he thought it unnecessary given the helicopter was on its way. He may not have appreciated the difficulty of getting the helicopter out, nor realised it wouldn't arrive for another four and a half hours.

This is my reading based solely on the article. The hikers behaviour doesn't sound like what people experienced in similar disasters would do, but nor was it completely callous. They just didn't expect the injured hiker to get worse during the night, and so thought one person left with him would be enough.

Edited by Brangdon (08/16/08 02:50 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 506 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.