Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#143318 - 08/08/08 08:36 PM Travel pillows
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I've been doing a lot of traveling lately, and I'm finding that the travel pillow I thought was pretty good really isn't the longer I use it. It's one of these: Lafuma pillow pocket
I've noticed the preponderance of this type from REI and Target
These two seem very different while looking very similar. Any road warriors have any first hand feedback on that type or something better?

#143320 - 08/08/08 08:52 PM Re: Travel pillows [Re: Malpaso]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
I assume you are asking about pillows you are trying use while sleeping on a plane. I had a girlfriend once that made a lot of money and left town every weekend for fun. Not knowing what to give the girl that had everything, people often gave her travel pillows. She had at least 20 of them in that horseshoe design and they all sucked.

She told me this when I saw her collection one day and asked about it. Being an expert on everything and not believing her, I tried a few of them out myself. She was suspiciously eager to get rid of them. And, exactly as she said, they are worthless. If you put them on with the opening facing forward, you can't lean back comfortably because you end up with a huge amount of stuff at the base of your neck. If wear them the other way, it's like trying to sleep with someone's hands around your neck.

I tried taking some of the stuffing out of the middle and it made it a little better but I would still say they are not worth the trouble.

#143325 - 08/08/08 09:28 PM Re: Travel pillows [Re: Malpaso]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
I would love to be a rough and tough guy who scoffed at the use of a pillow. But, I'm not. I need some creature comforts.

Last Xmas I received one of these as a gift. Its basically the same as the one you are linking, although it looks a bit bigger. It also includes its own stuff sack.

It is better than stuffing some clothes into a stuff sack. Consistent padding. But, it flattens out a bit. This is OK with me because I like to sleep with a super thin pillow anyway, almost like no pillow at all. If you like one of those sick 3 inch firm pillows, or a down effect... then just forget it... you won't like it. Grab a piece of compressed polyester and throw it in your pack. It comes in various thicknesses (1 inch, 2 inch, 3 inch), its cheaper, and is available a wally world and joannes fabrics. Throw a shirt over it and you're ready for bed.

I sometimes wonder if pillows such as this operate more on the placebo effect. "I have a pillow, therefore, I must be more comfortable".

#143345 - 08/08/08 11:13 PM Re: Travel pillows [Re: clarktx]
MRPrice Offline

Loc: Tulsa, OK. United States of Am...
Have you looked into something like the skyrest travel pillow?

#143368 - 08/09/08 01:21 AM Re: Travel pillows [Re: MRPrice]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Two winters ago I went camping with a Captain in the Canadian Forces, he had a terrific field pillow that you stuffed with your extra clothes to make it as thick as you wanted. It was fleece on one side and waterproof material on the other, he bought his pillow from CP Gear in New Brunswick and right now they are on sale for $20.00.

http://www.cpgear.com/default.asp?mn=1.19.56&f=pd&pid=49

I needed 2 of these field stuff-pillows for my son and I, since my mother likes to sew I asked her to make us a couple for Christmas. Thanks Mom!

Our pillows are made of fleece and we put the clothes that we do not wear often in them (e.g. extra long-johns and toque; we carry them 12 months a year). These pillows are about 14" by 10" in size, lightweight and serve a multiple use as gear bags.

My son has spent most of this summer on a 6 week Outdoor Adventure Course and when I last talked to him on the phone he mentioned that Grandma's field pillow was one of his best pieces of gear.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with CP Gear other than I use/enjoy their products and they have provided me with great customer service. I have a huge and everlasting connection with my Mother, but sorry folks, I cannot see her going into the pillow business!

Mike

#143381 - 08/09/08 03:01 AM Re: Travel pillows [Re: Malpaso]
LED Offline
Veteran

I've been using the Large Thermarest pillow for about a year now. Damn comfortable. I use a pillow cover so I haven't washed it yet. Probably time though considering I drool every now and then. Of course YMMV but I highly recommend it. (the pillow, not drooling.)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 314 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.