Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#143479 - 08/10/08 01:04 PM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: AROTC]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: AROTC
You're post just made me think of something...one of the places people mention using a knife lanyard is on a boat, so it doesn't go over board and sink out of reach. But for a lighter knife, a floating key chain might be a better tool. The knife can still fall free from your body, but if it lands in the water it will float safely on top. Not for fast moving boats or inclement water, but what do people think?

I put paracord lanyards on almost everything (pocket knife, lighter,..) with a small pear shaped carabiner on the end to attach it to the larger 'beaner secured to my belt.

For my knife I can clip it's small 'beaner to the split ring on the end of the knife to make a wrist loop should I need. So I can use the knife while it's secured to my belt or my wrist if I need longer reach.

Also makes it easier to pull it out of my pocket.

The three little 'beaners that hang from the big one on my belt have little tactile markers on them so I can tell which one I'm grabbing without looking.

1) Lighter has a knot on the 'beaner end of the lanyard
2) Inova light has a rubberband wrapped around the 'beaner shaft.
3) pocket knife is attached to a braided paracord.

#143481 - 08/10/08 01:07 PM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: Art_in_FL]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey Art,

The youth group I work with uses the old naptha 2 burner Coleman stoves. Often the fuel tank pump leather washer is dried out and will not make a seal, so you can't pressurize the tank. Just rub a little Chapstick into the leather and your back in business!

Mike

#143489 - 08/10/08 02:37 PM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: SwampDonkey]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
Hey Art,

Often the fuel tank pump leather washer is dried out and will not make a seal, so you can't pressurize the tank. Just rub a little Chapstick into the leather and your back in business!

Mike

Yes, another good use for lip balm.

While it seems wimpy to be concerned with issue that are often considered minor discomforts, beneath notice for real men, IMHO minor comfort issues are often harbingers of bigger problems down the road.

There is a saying that says: 'It isn't the mountains that wear you down so much as the pebble in your boot'.

Minor issues like a sunburn, badly cracked lips, or a stove you can't get to work right, can make you miserable, and rob you of sleep, strength and focus. Only made worse when the situation is a real emergency.

#143506 - 08/10/08 06:32 PM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: Pansy]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Pen, keys, CASH, power bar...

#143550 - 08/10/08 11:24 PM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Several relatively useful items depending on the adventure and the environment:

spare bootlaces
spare thermal socks
empty H2O proof closeable envelope/pouch
rescue throw bag (rescue on the river, ...)
climbing rope
weather station (or watches with weather monitoring)
fire extinguishing spray
pepper spray/bear pepper spray
pocket knife sharpener
binoculars
Morse code chart
ear plugs (when you want maximum loudness from the whistle)
something inflatable (usefull as a float or pillow)
titanium/stainless steel mug/bottle (e.g. for boiling a saline water in order to condensate the water vapour and make a fresh water - fresh water can be then captured by placing a cloth above the mug with the boiling water)

Edited by raptor (08/10/08 11:26 PM)

#143552 - 08/10/08 11:36 PM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: raptor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
While prepping for a birthday party this weekend, I snagged a blaze-orange balloon. Signaling, water carrier, amusement for the kids...

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#143628 - 08/11/08 12:36 PM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: bacpacjac]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
The problem with Morse Code charts is that when you stop to look things up, you WILL have problems sending/receiving to the point it'll just be "noise" - some of your dit's will be longer than your dah's etc

I learned code well enough to get my ticket (5 wpm) and then didn't prectice - I have a hard enough time doing code, and I can still do it in my head. I's say forget the chart
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#143629 - 08/11/08 12:47 PM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: KG2V]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Code appears to be something that, unlike swimming and bike riding, you can forget. My wife was a radioman in the Navy, she and the other two women in her class were the three fastest in code school. Today all she can say is "screw (or something like that) you," and she really has to think to even do that...

#143641 - 08/11/08 01:43 PM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Today all she can say is "screw (or something like that) you," and she really has to think to even do that...

I mean no disrespect, but is that conclusion empiric?

www.kravmagafederation.com

#143646 - 08/11/08 02:25 PM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: ]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: sockpuppet
Originally Posted By: pforeman
I've always tucked in a roll of quarters. It's ten bucks, can be used in vending machines

Paul wink

I am still a little uncertain to what some of you call a survival kit. I have never been in any life or death situation where my health or safety would have depended on a roll of quarters. These are just everyday items that make life a little easier. It's a little odd to think of them as a survival item.

For odds and ends in an actual survival kit(the kind you carry in a pocket or backpack) I always have a couple of nails on hand. You can use nails for a lot of useful stuff in the bush.

Some people's kit has a more urban orientation, and there's often a lot of cross-over between urban and wilderness survival kits, every day carry items, and work tools. In any case, there are no precise definitions or boundaries.

Coins operate vending machines, mini-mart tire inflators and the increasingly rare payphone. But, when held in the fist, they dramatically improve the effectiveness of a punch, and can be placed in a sock or other sack to make a pretty good defensive weapon or tool to, for example, bust out a laminated window. Oh yeah, it'll also pay for lunch.

Jeff

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 311 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.