Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#142996 - 08/06/08 03:49 AM Re: Article: When does preparedness become paranoia? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Okay, I'll play.

You've crossed the line when ...

- you save gallons of used motor oil and piles of construction waste "just in case" (but the barn still hasn't been painted)

- you have more than 10 top-notch multi-tools in the sock drawer, and plan to acquire more (but the living room baseboards have been missing for more than two years)

- you stock up on solar panels and hand-powered water pumps (but the sockets in the bedroom still aren't hooked up, and the basement shower leaks like a sieve)

(Darn it, that's me! Guess I'm paranoid. Or just lazy. :-)

There's no such thing as construction waste to the fabricator / DIYer smile

(I don't look forward to moving 100+ pieces of tube and 10+ sheets of steel and angle iron... L O L!!)

#143005 - 08/06/08 10:45 AM Re: Article: When does preparedness become parano [Re: LED]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: LED
Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
[quote=BobS][quote=CityBoyGoneCountry]That's ok, because I already know the answer.

Beanie baby = useless piece of crap.
Survival gear = useful for staying alive.

Maybe not totally useless. I wonder how many beanie babies it takes to make an improvised bed?

You can also burn the outside for fire.
I wonder if those are actual beans on the inside and if they are still edible...

#143008 - 08/06/08 12:39 PM Re: Article: When does preparedness become parano [Re: Nishnabotna]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
Originally Posted By: Nishnabotna
Originally Posted By: LED
Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
[quote=BobS][quote=CityBoyGoneCountry]That's ok, because I already know the answer.

Beanie baby = useless piece of crap.
Survival gear = useful for staying alive.

Maybe not totally useless. I wonder how many beanie babies it takes to make an improvised bed?

You can also burn the outside for fire.
I wonder if those are actual beans on the inside and if they are still edible...

first, it takes about 400 beanie babies to make a usable mattress.

second, no, there aren't actual bean inside beanie babies; they're little white plastic balls.

and i'll say up front that i own one beanie babie: Radar the Bat, because it's awesome.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#143012 - 08/06/08 01:27 PM Re: Article: When does preparedness become paranoia? [Re: ironraven]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
It becomes a problem when it interferes with your ability to live within and interact with "normal society". Anything else is just someone else projecting their prejudices and preconceptions.

Hmm, and just how would you define "normal society"? I've had to live in some pretty abnormal locations (for me anyways) that those around me at the time considered the status quo, and I can tell you for sure and for certain my living habits and conditions would not compare well to those of my neighbors.

Just because I am surrounded by sheep doesn't mean I must also become one. Of course I ain't gonna go advertising that I am not like the prey around me, but what they don't know, right?...

#143022 - 08/06/08 03:28 PM Re: Article: When does preparedness become paranoia? [Re: benjammin]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Semantics. As always, propriety can only be judged in retrospect.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#143025 - 08/06/08 04:00 PM Re: Article: When does preparedness become paranoia? [Re: Rodion]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yes, I suppose one man's normal is another man's paranoia smile

I could never get away with the way I carried myself back in Eastern Washington when I was living in New Jersey. You must adapt to at least appear to fit in, which is wise no matter the ambience. Just like in boot camp, standing out in the crowd, for whatever reason, ends up making you a target for the scrutiny of those who's interest you would just as soon not prefer to hold.

#143031 - 08/06/08 04:19 PM Re: Article: When does preparedness become paranoia? [Re: Dan_McI]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
When does preparedness become paranoia? When your preparations exceed your neighbors', I suppose.

Jeff

#143066 - 08/06/08 07:52 PM Re: Article: When does preparedness become paranoia? [Re: ironraven]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
It becomes a problem when it interferes with your ability to live within and interact with "normal society". Anything else is just someone else projecting their prejudices and preconceptions.

I kind of agree with Ironraven's thoughts.

If you wanted to have three-hundred pounds of rice or thousands of rounds of ammo in your closet, and that bothers no one else and does not have any detrimental effects in your life, then it should not be thought of as a problem. There is to some extent going to be issues with people being the other way, when not having any preparations leads them to worry to such an extent that it does have detrimental effects. Stopping drinking water so that you threaten your own health is beyond preparedness, it seems to be the exact opposite. Spending all your money on being prepared for something that may never come is also beyond preparedness. The thing is to try to find the balance that's right for you.

And for some, they may need to change the society in which they live, in order to live they want to anyway. If you wanted to live a self-sufficient, grow-your-own-food kind lifestyle and do it in New York City, it's going to be tough for you to do it and not be considered really weird. In other times and places, doing anythign but would be considered weird. Now, if you can live a weird lifestyle and still function without harm to you or others, that may also not be a problem. many do not have the make up that would allow them to live such a lifestyle.

#143081 - 08/06/08 10:10 PM Re: Article: When does preparedness become paranoia? [Re: Jeff_M]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
When does preparedness become paranoia? When your preparations exceed your neighbors', I suppose.

Jeff

Dear God, I must be a closeted supervillain. shocked

www.kravmagafederation.com

#143087 - 08/06/08 10:23 PM Re: Article: When does preparedness become paranoia? [Re: benjammin]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
What I mean is if you make the choice to by MREs rather than pay the light bill, you've got a problem. If you can't walk into the mall without carrying three knives and axe (seen someone try), you've got a problem. If you don't understand why the movie theatre won't let you buy a ticket when you have a .45 strapped openly to your thigh, you've got a problem.

THAT is what I mean by functioning within normal society. When preparedness turns from a hobby/investment as it for most of us, and becomes something so obsessive that you just don't fit, you've got over the deep end. It's like the difference between someone who likes a drink at the end of the day, and the guy who shows up for work drunk after drinking his breakfast.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.