Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#142031 - 07/29/08 01:32 PM Re: Vehicle Bugout -Traffic Lights - MIRT? [Re: Todd W]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
If you look at the title of my post it says, "Re: Vehicle Bugout -Traffic Lights - MIRT? [Re: martinfocazio]".

That Re part in brackets at the end tells you who my post was referring to, and the "do whatever it takes" quote does as well (though it should have been "do what it takes to protect my family"). I apologize for not using the forum's Quote Function.

The part in my post regarding burning down a forest to save my own butt and not caring about what happens to anything else is referring to a post in the last few weeks about a hiker who accidentally started a forest fire. In the news item/thread the aforementioned hiker lit a signal fire after becoming lost. In that thread, people were a little cheesed that this hiker dared start a signal fire in the dry season to get rescued after only a few hours. My thoughts in this post regarding that one were a continuation of the idea of "Me and Mine Before You and Yours".

And that idea, "Me and Mine Before You and Yours" is what this MIRT is all about. There's no way to sugarcoat it.

In a forum where there are heros who save people's lives at the possible expense of their own I find the idea of "Me and Mine Before You and Yours" to be offensive. In a forum where Firemen, Law Enforcement Officers, Paramedics, SAR members and so on post their knowledge and offer helpful advice I find the idea of "Me and Mine Before You and Yours" to be the antithesis of what they stand for and for what this site stands for. I find the MIRT concept offensive.

I apologize for any confusion.

I have posted regarding the fact that I understand the topic does not violate the forum rules, and apologize for suggesting it should be deleted.

I'm not mad at anyone. No worries.

Edited by Nicodemus (07/29/08 01:33 PM)
Edit Reason: clarification

#142273 - 07/30/08 05:37 PM Re: Vehicle Bugout -Traffic Lights - MIRT? [Re: Nicodemus]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Without getting into the moral dilemma of the situation, the first thing that came to my mind was, would it even work? It just doesn't seem feasible that a flashlight drop in would be powerful enough to trigger the stoplight sensors, and that's after assuming you would even be able to get the modulation right.

My second thought is, what's the use? If the situation was that bad where you feel justified in using it, why bother messing around with electronic gizmos? Just run the red light. If you're not worried about the legality of possesing one of these items, why would you be worried about the legality of traffic laws?

But in reality, if there there was every a time where you'd need one of these, people won't even care about the traffic lights. So it wouldn't matter if you had the power to change the lights to green or red yellow or whatever, the instersection is going to be blocked. The right of way means nothing if there's a car in front of you with no place to go. In an emergency situation even the fire department and police have trouble getting through, so I doubt this toy would really have any effect.

#142344 - 07/31/08 01:08 PM Re: Vehicle Bugout -Traffic Lights - MIRT? [Re: ducktapeguy]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It used to work. The very first traffic light controllers for fire trucks did work on IR. But once people started using them they changed the systems so they don't work anymore. Spending any $ on one now would be a waste of $.

#142387 - 07/31/08 06:16 PM Re: Vehicle Bugout -Traffic Lights - MIRT? [Re: Eugene]
Jackpine_Savage Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Minnesota
They have replaced the IR units with sound activated units. The new ones are triggered by a wail siren found in emergency vehicles.

#142423 - 08/01/08 01:05 AM Re: Vehicle Bugout -Traffic Lights - MIRT? [Re: Jackpine_Savage]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
If those gadgets still worked, you know people would be using them.

But... suppose one driver pressed the button to change the light and hit the gas pedal (in moving traffic), going north through an intersection, certain that the light would change... Then suppose another person hit the button to change the light and then hit the gas pedal, headed west through the same intersection?

It seems to me that NOBODY would be getting out of town fast. Dead, maybe, but not fast.

I think that's one of the problems with bugging out. Then there would also be people driving poorly maintained vehicles that suddenly died, people trying to turn or change lanes in front of someone who had no intention of giving way, pedestrians trying to take a short-cut...

Hide at home and avoid many of the problems.

Sue

#142463 - 08/01/08 11:34 AM Re: Vehicle Bugout -Traffic Lights - MIRT? [Re: Susan]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Your assuming that home is safe to hide in. Before I moved a couple weeks ago I wouldn't think of hiding at home, it was hard enough to keep the welfare support neighbors that moved in from taking my stuff during normal times.

#142471 - 08/01/08 12:56 PM Re: Vehicle Bugout -Traffic Lights - MIRT? [Re: Eugene]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
That would be the time to have a big dog...

#142473 - 08/01/08 01:02 PM Re: Vehicle Bugout -Traffic Lights - MIRT? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Do you think that would be much defense? It wouldn't take much to defeat a dog, one quick shot and he's down. When the drug addicts have no problem pulling a gun on each other over their drugs they probably wouldn't have much problem doing the same to me or a dog.

#142476 - 08/01/08 01:19 PM Re: Vehicle Bugout -Traffic Lights - MIRT? [Re: Eugene]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Keep the dog inside. Loud, and 'specially large sounding, dogs have been well known to be a burglar deterrent for a long time. If the badguys come in anyway, armed, well, we know what should happen next...

#142480 - 08/01/08 01:34 PM Re: Vehicle Bugout -Traffic Lights - MIRT? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yep, dog is there for its sensors, not its teeth. Just wake me up and stay out of my line of fire.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 561 Guests and 168 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.