Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#142441 - 08/01/08 03:49 AM Re: Where can you count on harvesting clean wild f [Re: BobS]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Nothing. Then we got politicians...

#142442 - 08/01/08 03:54 AM Re: Where can you count on harvesting clean wild food? [Re: dweste]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Good Luck Brother!! The best advice I can provide is to ignore the internal organs. Just about everything everywhere has been contaminated by something in someway.

When you are hungry, that will be one of the last things that you will worry about.

When you are sufficiently hungry, rats look delicious and even cockroaches start looking good.

#142443 - 08/01/08 03:58 AM Re: Where can you count on harvesting clean wild f [Re: OldBaldGuy]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
So we got Trouble, right here in the river city, etc....

I bring the original question back to the floor: where in the United States can you count on harvesting clean wild food?

Is "nowhere" the offcial, consensus answer?

Is there someone who knows better who is willing to share the good news?

Thanks.

#142447 - 08/01/08 04:05 AM Re: Where can you count on harvesting clean wild f [Re: dweste]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Maybe in Alaska and Canada???

#142448 - 08/01/08 04:06 AM Re: Where can you count on harvesting clean wild f [Re: dweste]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: dweste
I bring the original question back to the floor: where in the United States can you count on harvesting clean wild food?

Back to my original answer, go talk to hunters. They are the ones in any given area that can answer this for you.

Who cares what food can be harvested in Florida, Ohio or any place else if you are in California? Learn what you can harvest & eat where you are, not where you are not.

Hunters & fishermen will have the answer to this, talk to them, find them at local gun shops and outdoor shops like Cabalas and Bass Pro Shop.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#142449 - 08/01/08 04:13 AM Re: Where can you count on harvesting clean wild f [Re: BobS]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

BobS - I do talk to hunters and fishermen. Even the quiet and successful ones do not know if what they bring home is safe to eat long term. No one is sending samples out to be tested.

They just firgure that it didn't seem to hurt their daddy, has not seemed to hurt them yet, etc.

I do know of a few cases of discussed on a kayak fishing board by those who claim to be victims of mercury poisoning, and there are stories in the worldwide news of some such cases as well.

#142450 - 08/01/08 04:22 AM Re: Where can you count on harvesting clean wild f [Re: dweste]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Most states will list, in their hunting and fishing regulation books, what the weekly ingestion recommendation limits are for various rivers, bayous, lakes, etc.

I've not seen anything in the regs about land types of game, though.

#142451 - 08/01/08 04:25 AM Re: Where can you count on harvesting clean wild f [Re: dweste]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I think you said you live in SF if so and you have a sail boat I would think it would be easy to get out into the ocean far enough to get fish that you could feel comfortable about eating.

But nothing in life is guaranteed. I don’t see a problem eating animals you shoot (I don’t like fish) I don’t see a lot of news stories (like none) of hunters falling over dead from eating wild animals they shot.

You seem to want someone to give you a piece of paper saying it’s safe to eat animals or fish from X-location. Never going to happen!

It seems you are asking an Un answerable question as you want a black & white answer to a gray question.

Edited by BobS (08/01/08 04:26 AM)
Edit Reason: Spelling

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#142455 - 08/01/08 05:42 AM Re: Where can you count on harvesting clean wild f [Re: BobS]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

It's not the dropping dead from eating; it's the developing who-knows-what over time and then dropping dead.

I have read there are studies of small mammals and of roe deer in Europe that have found elevated levels of mercury, and in the U.S. the mammals that eat from marine-based foodchains (killer whales and polar bears, for example) have also been found with elevated mercury that is suspected as a cause of reproductive problems and death. Wasn't there a ban on lead shot in part because of environmental contamination that was finding its way into waterfowl?

My question is just, does anybody know where this stuff is likely to be less of a problem?

Guarantees I do not expect but, yes, I would love it if some responsible expert published a study saying the animals in this part of the US were tested and found to have a low incidence of various pollutants in their systems. Wouldn't you?

#142475 - 08/01/08 01:14 PM Re: Where can you count on harvesting clean wild f [Re: dweste]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...a study saying the animals in this part of the US were tested and found to have a low incidence of various pollutants in their systems..."

If that were to happen, I suspect that those critters would be wiped out in short order, laws and regs notwithstanding. You would not be the only person to want to go there. Either they get killed off, or the population, and therefore the polution, would increase, causing the same old problem...

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 567 Guests and 69 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.