Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#141196 - 07/24/08 04:03 PM Re: The " bush" is not inert or neutral [Re: NightHiker]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
If you know what you are doing, once you have realized your situation, kept a level head, taken care of fire and shelter and avoided fear and panic then the bush becomes much less dangerous

I agree with your take. We could edit the statement thusly:

"The bush is [rendered] inert. It is [now] incapable of doing me harm."

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#141211 - 07/24/08 05:24 PM Re: The " bush" is not inert or neutral [Re: thseng]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: thseng
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
If you know what you are doing, once you have realized your situation, kept a level head, taken care of fire and shelter and avoided fear and panic then the bush becomes much less dangerous

I agree with your take. We could edit the statement thusly:

"The bush is [rendered] inert. It is [now] incapable of doing me harm."

i wouldn't go that far. it still retains the ability to harm you. as you've said, you, however, are better prepared to prevail and not allow it to harm you.

ok, so i'm picky.

#141225 - 07/24/08 08:06 PM Re: The " bush" is not inert or neutral [Re: bsmith]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl

The Kochansky words aren't a depiction of reality, they are a pep talk. Pep talks generally have little to do with reality. This discussion is at core a theological argument, contrasting different views of the universe: Benign universe vs Vengeful universe, universal forgiveness vs original sin. As such, we may be in proscribed territory.

#141227 - 07/24/08 08:42 PM Re: The " bush" is not inert or neutral [Re: nursemike]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Credo is defined as a Creed...which in it's non religious form is defined as:

Any system of principles of beliefs

and in it's religious form (just for nursemike since he's going down that road):

the written body of teachings of a religious group that are generally accepted by that group

I think the former is likely more appropriate as survival isn't a religion (though for some of us it might be close).

#141229 - 07/24/08 08:44 PM Re: The " bush" is not inert or neutral [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I like Merriam-Websters definition better:

1: a brief authoritative formula of religious belief
2: a set of fundamental beliefs; also : a guiding principle

#141231 - 07/24/08 08:53 PM Re: The " bush" is not inert or neutral [Re: ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I do not think nature is either vengeful or benign, as it is not one entity or capable of intention. However I think nature in general ruthlessly requires all of its occupants to struggle to maintain or enhance their positions. Fail to struggle, struggle for the wrong thing, or get unlucky, and nature takes its toll.

We know that toll as starvation, injury, dehydration, hypothermia, getting sick, getting eaten, etc.

#141232 - 07/24/08 09:00 PM Re: The " bush" is not inert or neutral [Re: Russ]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: Russ
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
. . .The bush is inert. It is incapable off doing me harm.
How is he defining "bush"? That last line seems more like someone convincing himself it's safe to go to sleep. Too bad Mors isn't here to explain the context of that statement.

From the context I interpret inert as not actively acting toward harming me per se as the different creatures are acting in their own self interests (as am I). May not be consistent with the dictionary definition but that's the neat thing about literature, one can use words in a different context to invoke a different perspective.

The rocks (part of the bush as a whole) can cause me great injury, and they are not actively attempting to harm me.

The bear (part of the bush as a whole) can cause me great harm, and is not attempting to harm me personally as it is taking the easiest opportunity for food or safety. If something else is easier prey, it will go for that instead leaving me alone.

It's my job to make it as inconvenient for something to see me as prey, so it'll go chew on someone else...

#141235 - 07/24/08 09:23 PM Re: The " bush" is not inert or neutral [Re: dweste]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I think the most appropriate answer to this thread is for everybody to review the Ferengi "Rules of Acquisition"

http://www.dmwright.com/html/ferengi.htm

#141241 - 07/24/08 10:12 PM Re: The " bush" is not inert or neutral [Re: dweste]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
To quote the great Canadian naturalist/writer Grey Owl:

"In the fastness of this rapidly fading frontier, the last on this continent, reigns the Spirit of the North Land. Enthroned behind the distant mountains with the cohorts and legions of his last grand army massed about him, he sallies forth, brooding over the length and breadth of the land, seeking whom he may destroy, ever devising new means for the elimination of the invaders of his chosen realm. His is not the shock of honest battle in the open, but by devious ways and subtle methods he obtains is ends. Securely entrenched behind the bristling ramparts of the forest, with all the unleashed forces of the primeval at his command, he primes his deadly weapons, and spreads his entanglements, his obstacles, and his snares; nor are they always vainly set.

Through them the invader must pick his way with the delicacy and assurance of one who walks barefoot amoungst naked knives. Some of his weapons are merely annoyances, irritating but bearable; other are harassing to the point of obsession, wearing out the body and mind, and lessening the resisting power of a man; others, yet, bring swift death, or the long slow agonies of those who would die but cannot."
Grey Owl in The Men of the Last Frontier

It seems to me that if nature were inert there would be much less of a need for this website.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#141248 - 07/24/08 10:44 PM Re: The " bush" is not inert or neutral [Re: Blast]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I will never forget opening day 1976 summer season at Garibaldi Lifeboat Station, Tillamook Bay Oregon.I was almost T-boned by a camper on the PCH pulling out of base for the boat shed.We had to call a tow truck to remove 4 cars illegaly parked in our reserved spaces. Then I found some tourists had slipped in from a Boston Whaler and were onboard the boats themselvesstealing Icarus flares. We arrested them for trespass and burglary and called the sheriff. I was about to cast off when a speedboat roared past us, hit the beach and became briefly airborne. He crashed into a logs from the great Tillamook Burn and was killed instantly. After we called the sheriff and coroner I started walking back to the shed. This guy was backing down the loading ramp with a trailered boat behind a airstream behind a camper truck. He hit the gas instead of the brake and all three units went into the water. He's screaming he's drowning. I walk over, open the door, unhook his safety belt and walk him to shore.We let him call a Tow Truck. I was finally getting underway, raising the radar mast and pulling in fenders when the tower reported a capsizing near the bar. I hit the strobe light and siren. Some guy in a handmade italian rowing shell crossed my bow, yelling " human powered vessels have right of w...." I neatly cut 3' off his bow and put him in the water swearing at me. We dodged at least 8 other vessels that didn't have a clue.We got an update from the tower stating everybody had been picked up by a commercial fishing boat, but their boat was now a hazard to navigation and we had to tow it in. Tower estimated the Bar @ 14' and looking 'just plain mean.' Everybody climbed into wet suits, helmets, MK 1 life preservers. I ordered my crew into our safety harness. My deckie was brand new and looked a little apprehensive as we began our run to pop over. I told him to relax, this was the easy part of opening day.I don't know if the bush is inert, or if the ocean wants to kill coastie rescue swimmers. I do know, you have to get to it first, and that can truly be a effort to survive.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (07/24/08 10:51 PM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.