The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#140594 - 07/21/08 03:22 PM Re: Equipped to survive...cycling [Re: Dan_McI]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
In most states a bicycle is considered a vehicle, meaning you must ride in the same lane and going in the same direction as cars, signal your turns and obey stop lights and signs. When I see someone ride a bike against traffic or on a sidewalk, running a stop sign, etc., I have two nearly simultaneous thoughts: (1) he should get a ticket; (2) he's probably going to get hit by a car. It seems to me either result is undesirable from a survival standpoint.

#140595 - 07/21/08 03:32 PM Re: Equipped to survive...cycling [Re: Frank2135]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
At the risk of boring you, I offer yet again the approach I take to evaluating what gear is appropriate.

I cannot address your cycling-specific needs as I do not often cycle, and have no experience with commuter cycling since high school. I have never cycled into any wilderness more exotic than farmland, nor for longer than one long day.

But I think you might examine your kit against the Rule of Threes (you may die if you go: 3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food). And then I suggest checking to see if you have gear in each of whatever survival categories you salute; at this time mine include First Aid, Shelter, Fire, Water, Food, Navigation, Light, Signaling, Self-protection, Hygiene, and Morale.

If you used these criteria for a moment to review your kit, what would you see?

Edited by dweste (07/21/08 03:47 PM)

#140598 - 07/21/08 03:42 PM Re: Equipped to survive...cycling [Re: Frank2135]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Frank2135
It shouldn't happen if your weight is over the center of the bike, unless the trailer is really, really heavy. The exception would be while climbing a steep hill, when a more moderate weight could be a problem. In that situation you might want to position your weight more over the handlebars

That's true with a normal bike. With weight on the handlebars it's unlikely unless the trailer is loaded wrong. My folding bike has crazy geometry though. The seat is really far back and the riding position is very upright. It puts most of the weight just in front of the rear wheel.

Originally Posted By: Frank2135
In most states a bicycle is considered a vehicle, meaning you must ride in the same lane and going in the same direction as cars, signal your turns and obey stop lights and signs. When I see someone ride a bike against traffic or on a sidewalk, running a stop sign, etc., I have two nearly simultaneous thoughts: (1) he should get a ticket; (2) he's probably going to get hit by a car. It seems to me either result is undesirable from a survival standpoint.

It's like that here too but there are areas of the city where riding on the sidewalk is allowed (typically where the sidewalk is really wide and/or the traffic is really dangerous). I pick my route where I can stay on bike paths, sidewalks where cycling is permitted, or one way streets...I like not having to deal with oncomming traffic.

One trick I use when traffic is heavy is I'll stay right even when I want to turn left. I'll stop at the cross walk, flip my bike 90 degrees and wait by the sidewalk with all of the peds for the light to change before going down the cross street. Then I don't have to change lanes and I don't have to cross oncoming traffic. Good return on safety for a small investment of waiting time.

I also like lights and reflective stuff (I haven't bought a vest yet though). Drivers might complain that flashing lights are distracting...but I say that's the point smile

#140605 - 07/21/08 04:25 PM Re: Equipped to survive...cycling [Re: ]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I keep a 5 dollar bill in my patch kit.

If I am far from from home and need extra calories, I
can buy some.

If you develop a hole in the tire (not the tube) a classic
short term fix is to put a folded bill between the
tube and the tire so the tub isn't exposed.

A vest is a great idea. A nice mesh so you don't overheat.

Watch for cars passing then making a right hand turn in
front of you.

Also for people opening parked car doors on the street side as you are
in the right lane of traffic.

#140606 - 07/21/08 04:28 PM Re: Equipped to survive...cycling [Re: Jeff_M]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Another short term, limp home fix for broken spokes is
to simply wrap the broken spoke around the next sound one
so it doesn't catch in your brakes or chain etc.

#140608 - 07/21/08 04:33 PM Re: Equipped to survive...cycling [Re: Frank2135]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Good list. I'd add sunscreen, rain gear, and a big water bottle

#140610 - 07/21/08 04:38 PM Re: Equipped to survive...cycling [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
For those fortunate enough to get one while they were available smile , the Peter Atwood Bike Tool has a spoke wrench among other things. Nice multi-tool for a bike.

#140626 - 07/21/08 06:46 PM Re: Equipped to survive...cycling [Re: Russ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Russ
For those fortunate enough to get one while they were available smile , the Peter Atwood Bike Tool has a spoke wrench among other things. Nice multi-tool for a bike.

$90!!???!?!?? and again I say ?! I've paid a lot for a little on occation but all I see is a glorified bottle opener with 2 hex bits built in.

It may be bigger but I'd rather get any of the Filzer multi tools (like this one http://www.filzer.com/products.php?id=114 )...or something similar. I used to carry the Mini 10 until I realized my new Leatherman has everything it has plus more.

Teacher: I do carry those things. I didn't want to list every little thing so I narrowed the focus to just the extra cycling specific items.

#140640 - 07/21/08 07:19 PM Re: Equipped to survive...cycling [Re: ]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

These are neat tools. Stay on your bike and have the essentials

chain tool (stays inside your seat post )

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id...;tc=Multi-Tools

This one has a spoke wrench and includes the previous tool.

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id...item_id=CL-QSET

Edited by clearwater (07/21/08 07:23 PM)

#140642 - 07/21/08 07:32 PM Re: Equipped to survive...cycling [Re: clearwater]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Neat. I saw one online last week (can't find the link, sorry). It's a bike pump that IS a seat post. Quick release the seat off the post and the post out of the frame and you've got a pump you never leave home without.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 173 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.