The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#139678 - 07/15/08 02:12 PM Carry Your Own Mini Motel
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
I saw this in the NY Times yesterday. It's a portable, indoor-only shelter called the Mini Motel designed for sleeping in airports, disaster centers, etc.

Carrying it for traveling is ridiculous (~5 lbs) but I thought it was pretty amusing. Does it have any real use? I suppose if a shelter ran out of cots, this might come in handy, and it certainly looks better than sleeping on a hard floor but I can't imagine they'll sell many of them. And it looks so flimsy that their warnings not to use it outdoors seem entirely superfluous.

By the way, one note about evil marketing. They told the Times it sells for $39.95 but the website lists the price as $49.95. That kind of trickery would keep me from getting one, even if I were interested...

#139681 - 07/15/08 02:55 PM Re: Carry Your Own Mini Motel [Re: Fitzoid]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I actually like the concept, but the execution leaves a bit to be desired.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#139682 - 07/15/08 03:03 PM Re: Carry Your Own Mini Motel [Re: Blast]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Yeah, it sounded like a cool idea reading the article until I looked at the specs on their webpage.

If it simply popped open and could be used outdoors in the summer, it'd be a lot more interesting. (It would also need a better door to keep critters out.) But then you're getting into real camping gear...

#139685 - 07/15/08 03:28 PM Re: Carry Your Own Mini Motel [Re: Fitzoid]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
There should be a slot on the side for you to add the name of the airline you're flying, maybe slide in a baggage claim ticket with the airline's logo. You know, so you can advertise to other travellers "I'm flying on [Delta Airlines] and they were too cheap to comp me a hotel room for the night." That kind of negative advertising will either get you a hotel room, or maybe thrown out of the airport.

Seriously, I don't like that it separates the traveller from his baggage, if you zip up the bivy door you either need to keep them in with you or leave them outside while you sleep. Some attached webbing that locks around the handle of a carryon wouldn't add alot of cost.

#139686 - 07/15/08 03:29 PM Re: Carry Your Own Mini Motel [Re: Fitzoid]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Interesting...

#139688 - 07/15/08 03:33 PM Re: Carry Your Own Mini Motel [Re: Lono]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Lono
There should be a slot on the side for you to add the name of the airline you're flying, maybe slide in a baggage claim ticket with the airline's logo. You know, so you can advertise to other travellers "I'm flying on [Delta Airlines] and they were too cheap to comp me a hotel room for the night."

This is a great idea. grin grin grin

#139695 - 07/15/08 04:25 PM Re: Carry Your Own Mini Motel [Re: Fitzoid]
Spiritwalker Offline

A little help for people that dislike sleeping on the floor at the airport, with or without a "mini motel". It won't help in the event of an airport socked in by weather or other disasters but 90% of the time...

Stranded at the airport? Don't forget rule 240.

Quote:

...Then, a year later, I was scheduled to fly on Delta from Pensacola to Miami. When I got to the counter, the agent told me the flight was canceled. She volunteered nothing else. So I calmly suggested that she invoke Rule 240. Once she knew that I knew the rule — and only then — did she rewrite my ticket, and those of the passengers in line behind me, and we got to Miami that day on an unusual routing: Pensacola to New Orleans and then on to Miami. Rule 240 allowed me to get to where I needed to go.

I've written about Rule 240 for years. And yet, every time I tell people about it, there are those who claim that my information is either out of date or plain wrong. That's led to more confusion, and in at least one case a writer argued that I had simply fabricated Rule 240 out of thin air.

Well, I didn't make up Rule 240. It was created by the old Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB) way before the days of airline deregulation. And the rule clearly stated what an airline's responsibilities were to passengers in the event of a flight cancellation or delay...

#139699 - 07/15/08 04:52 PM Re: Carry Your Own Mini Motel [Re: Spiritwalker]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Interesting...

#139707 - 07/15/08 05:43 PM Re: Carry Your Own Mini Motel [Re: Mike_H]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Looks like a AMK bivy with a cheap frame to keep it off your head.

#139710 - 07/15/08 06:25 PM Re: Carry Your Own Mini Motel [Re: ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
There's mention of a cushion of air, so is there an air mattress incorporated into the product?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 370 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.