Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#139123 - 07/09/08 04:54 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: dweste]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Your on the internet right? And internet shares it's root word with interstate,right? So maybe you can email several police agencies/ Highway Patrols, townships,local branches of your religious affiliation, Freemasons, VFW, ALPHA KAPPA ZIPPO fraternity, etc? Just a friendly ' Hi, I'm walking through your area and want to be a polite guest and not cause undo concern. I am carrying this knife, but it's for spreading peanut butter, not a interstate crime spree, and I will be wearing a pink watchcap and my name is X.I helped plan teh route for two buddhist monks on a walking meditation THE LENGTH OF THE PCH. They stopped every third step and bowed in prayer and one took a vow of silence. I communicated with the three pacific state Highway patrols, several monasteries of several religions, local police etc. The only problem they encountered were a bunch of Hare Krishnas trying to convert them outside of Portland. I think half teh people we contacted went ahead and told other people, building an entire network of folks looking for the two monks.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (07/09/08 04:59 PM)

#139124 - 07/09/08 04:56 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Chaotiklown Offline
:-)
Journeyman

Loc: South Carolina, USA
:-) Excellent point- I'm actually in the process of compiling sites along my route that I can obtain information through.... Though I'm not sure if they'd buy the "spreading peanut butter" story, but I'll get creative!

#139131 - 07/09/08 05:09 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: Chaotiklown]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Chris,

Great suggestion... If you contact certain municipalities before you head through, you may save a lot of grief. If an officer approaches you, the best thing you can do is tell them what you are carrying and wear it is. Since you are through hiking, it shouldn't be too bad.

Keep your appearence neat and always be curteous... That goes a long way.

Wouldn't hurt if you could get your hands on an FOP card. Sort of indicates that you are a "friend" to the police.

#139165 - 07/09/08 07:49 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: Mike_H]
Spiritwalker Offline

Excellent suggestion Chris but it depends on the locals. I did a series of week-long walks, as a prayer for peace and healing, back in the early '90s and sent letters to each County Sheriff's Office detailing what I was doing and when I expected to be walking through their county. For the most part the deputies I met on the walks were polite and professional and a few were very interested in what I was doing and friendly. In one county however, various deputies stopped by at least 3 times a day (their record was 7 times in one day) and tried to convince me to let them give me a ride to the next county. It took 2-3 days to get to the other side of that county and I was very glad to put it behind me each year.

#139167 - 07/09/08 08:06 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: Spiritwalker]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Always keep forty or fifty dollars in your shoe.

When you're passing an LEO, make eye contact, nod and smile. You don't even have to speak. I used to work with a few ex-LEOs, and they said a guy passing them who studiously ignored them tended to raise their hackles. In London, it has even been known to get you arrested.

Don't talk to yourself in public.

Sue

#139173 - 07/09/08 08:28 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: Susan]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Sue,

Quote:
Don't talk to yourself in public

Also don't attempt to walk cross the country whilst being naked either as you may get yourself arrested as well.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/6542329.stm

Edinburgh Sheriff Isobel Poole ruled the case 'not proven'.

Quote:
She told Edinburgh Sheriff Court that in this case there was no evidence of "actual alarm or disturbance".

She added: "I can understand this conduct could be considered unpleasant to passers-by had there been any but there is a lack of evidence to that effect."

#139182 - 07/09/08 09:49 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: Chaotiklown]
LED Offline
Veteran

I'd recommend keeping a written journal. For your own memories of course, but it might also serve as a type of "log book" that could help prove your actions and whereabouts should a problem arise.

#139190 - 07/09/08 10:38 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: LED]
Chaotiklown Offline
:-)
Journeyman

Loc: South Carolina, USA
This is a definite- I will be keeping a written account of my trip:-) Although I didn't think about it creating an alibi... I shall keep it in mind:-)

#139194 - 07/09/08 11:19 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: Susan]
Spiritwalker Offline

Originally Posted By: Susan

Don't talk to yourself in public.

I'm reminded of a line from the movie Braveheart.

Quote:

Stephen: "In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God."

grin

#139196 - 07/09/08 11:35 PM Re: Lots of police out there, I see... [Re: Chaotiklown]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...they wouldn't be able to randomly search me, correct?..."

Wrong. A "pat down" search for the officers protection is court approved, happens all the time, day or night, any location. If the knife is in your pack (or whatever you use to carry your stuff), you should be OK. If it is on your body, then the type of knife comes in to play. In CA it is illegal to carry a "dirk or dagger" concealed on your body. In some counties, Los Angeles for one (at least in the '70's), the DA's office had decided that any folder with a locking blade was a "dirk or dagger." Lots of Buck 110's got lots of guys into trouble. A multi-tool or SAK, or your old Boy Scout knife, on the other hand, even if it has a locking blade, "probably" would not cause a problem...

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 537 Guests and 77 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.