The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#138824 - 07/06/08 11:05 PM Re: SPOT FAILS UNDER PRESSURE [Re: ]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
He had a parachute, and even used it on his previous attempt after shooting out too many baloons.

#138826 - 07/06/08 11:12 PM Re: SPOT FAILS UNDER PRESSURE [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Anybody flies in a lawn chair with helium balloons deserves SPOT..."

Well said...

#138827 - 07/06/08 11:15 PM Re: SPOT FAILS UNDER PRESSURE [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
As an interesting aside, I just saw a commercial for the ACR Microfix on the Discovery Channel.

#138828 - 07/06/08 11:18 PM Re: SPOT FAILS UNDER PRESSURE [Re: Nicodemus]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...find out where he fell out of the lawn chair..."

The last one of these lawn chair idiots that I heard about was actually smart enough to wear a parachute. Don't know if this particular idiot did or not. But if he did, he had to bail, and landed in a boonies, SPOT would/should have been able to pinpoint him so that a rescue chopper (which would hopefully bill him bigtime) could find him. But since it went belly up, he could have been in for a long hike out...

#138868 - 07/07/08 01:18 PM Re: SPOT FAILS UNDER PRESSURE [Re: ponder]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
I work in the web development industry, and I know about server load issues. Basically, you can see an exponential increase in traffic even from a moderate level of media and blogger coverage. One of my clients is a major financial services firm and we have had a few experiences where a national commercial ran and just melted the servers down. Building highly scalable systems is highly challenging.
That's why I'd never trust anything via the Internet for life safety. Anything public is highly susceptible to spike loading by accident - or in the case of a DDOS attack, by malice.
The FINDMESPOT servers could be deliberately targeted for such an attack, and there's not much that can be done. The same can not be said for networks that are not public.

#138870 - 07/07/08 01:23 PM Re: SPOT FAILS UNDER PRESSURE [Re: MartinFocazio]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
New meaning to armchair adventurer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7491841.stm

#138873 - 07/07/08 01:37 PM Re: SPOT FAILS UNDER PRESSURE [Re: MartinFocazio]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
I work in the web development industry, and I know about server load issues. Basically, you can see an exponential increase in traffic even from a moderate level of media and blogger coverage. One of my clients is a major financial services firm and we have had a few experiences where a national commercial ran and just melted the servers down. Building highly scalable systems is highly challenging.
That's why I'd never trust anything via the Internet for life safety. Anything public is highly susceptible to spike loading by accident - or in the case of a DDOS attack, by malice.
The FINDMESPOT servers could be deliberately targeted for such an attack, and there's not much that can be done. The same can not be said for networks that are not public.

The 'slashdot effect' is its own phenomenon. As soon as a story is posted (its like Digg.com but for geeks - www.slashdot.org), and if the story is associated to a web site thats on poor equipment... in a matter of seconds its down.

#138897 - 07/07/08 05:07 PM Re: SPOT FAILS UNDER PRESSURE [Re: Kris]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
I haven't followed this much but I do recall that the weight budget for his "lawn chair" was over 300 lbs ... that's quite a lawn chair..

The biggest question in my mind is the sheer number of balloons. I think I read he was going to get 4 lb of lift from each balloon and had a total flight weight of 600 lbs, or 150 balloons. How are those tethered such that none are ruptured by another's tether rubbing against it?

When he shoots a balloon, shooting upwards would hit many balloons stacked vertically, also resulting in many tethers rubbing against balloons as the remaining balloons adjusted. Shooting to the side might not be practical either for that reason and for balance reasons.

In any case it sounds safer than the Swiss guy who strapped on a jet engine and flew over the Alps outside of the intervals when the lawn chair is too low for parachute bail-out.

It's possible the deal with the slashdot problem, *if* you're willing to spend vast sums of money. I doubt SPOT has the budget for it, so they need to separate their business, marketing, and operations networks and internet presences, and be prepared to handle operations via FAX or phone in case of a DoS attack to reassure customers. That said, this was probably one of those cases where the cleaning lady went to unplug the vacuum cleaner and yanked out an Ethernet switch power cord instead...

#138949 - 07/08/08 03:40 AM Re: SPOT FAILS UNDER PRESSURE [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
This is the catch 22 of the dev industry.

If the server stays up for the big event, then, you can wonder if they are being as careful about quality when they aren't on TV. Maybe they use resources for that one guy that they wouldn't ordinarily use, making the big demo a fraud.

On the other hand, if the server fails on the big event, that doesn't necessarily mean it would fail for you on an average day when you didn't have an unusually large number of people trying to track you.

Certainly, its egg on the face, but I feel their pain.

I hope they work it out... its all good experience, if they can hang on until the next iteration...

#139833 - 07/16/08 04:40 PM Re: SPOT SUCCEEDS UNDER PRESSURE [Re: JohnN]
SPOT Offline
Stranger

Loc: Milpitas, CA
This is John Dark with SPOT.

I saw this thread about Couch Balloons, and thought readers might be interested in some of the facts. We have posted a note about Couch Balloons over on our new Blog.

http://findmespot.wordpress.com/2008/07/15/spot-successfully-tracks-kent-couch-at-couchballoonscom/

It also includes a document that lets developers know how to integrate SPOT into their site, which seems to have been a sticky point for our friends at couch balloons. We have a separate workaround if a site will get more than 500 views in 15 minutes, but users need to contact us so we can work directly with the developer.

Edited by SPOT (07/16/08 11:10 PM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 558 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.