The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#138319 - 07/01/08 09:58 AM Re: No Blade of Grass [Re: Joy]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England

> can't find the "Mr. Be Prepared" site that you mentioned. Do > you have a link? Is it a good site?

Lol. 'Mr Be Prepared' isn't a site, it's what they called me at work. Mainly due to my vast knife collection: one swiss army champ. Well it's vast by UK standards :-).

Wildman makes a good point about carjacking in the US. Does that happen often? It's virtually unknown here.

The shopping trolley is where we are all logically heading on this site :-).
There are no earthquakes or hurricanes in the south of England. I keep the normal car stuff in it; water, rain jacket, tools, spare tyre etc and a duvet in the winter for while I wait for the AA man. I've nowhere to bug out to and can't imagine why I would do so. You are better off taking advice off a lot of other people on this site than me.

The Sock

#138426 - 07/02/08 09:24 AM Re: No Blade of Grass [Re: TheSock]
Joy Offline
Journeyman

LOL! One Swiss army champ and you are Mr. Be Prepared! ;-) It sounded like you were talking about a website! Lol!

Yes, I am glad Wildman came up with the right word to describe what I fear the most if I ever have to bug out and get stuck in heavy traffic. But I don't even have a motor cycle or scooter yet, so it is just speculation on my part to imagine all kinds of potential situations - to prepare myself. My husband and I have talked about getting something like that in case a wildfire travels through this neighborhood. We are in drought conditions at the moment and fires are burning all over Northern California. So the threat is very real, especially in the mountains.

As far as I know, carjackings are more common in the inner city area's where crime is highest.

Well, thank you for the advice and suggestions that you did give. I like to learn from people here! And I like discussing the scenes in movies like the one you mentioned and thinking about what we can learn from it in relation to what we have in our cars and BOB'S. You were the only one who wanted to do that. I guess others didn't watch the movie. I especially like Apocalyptic fiction.

Joy

#138431 - 07/02/08 11:19 AM Re: No Blade of Grass [Re: Joy]
TheSock Offline
Addict

I was surprised so few people joined in as well.
Maybe if I hadn't failed to post the link to youtube more would have. And I think I upset some people a while back, by not making it clearer that my criticism of the present inhabitant of the white house (which I shouldn't have been doing anyway) was just of him and not all americans.
So some people will never contribute to a thread I started.
Start a thread yourself and you might have more luck.
The Sock

#138445 - 07/02/08 01:22 PM Re: No Blade of Grass [Re: TheSock]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I just haven't had time to watch the movie.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#138505 - 07/03/08 01:17 AM Re: No Blade of Grass [Re: TheSock]
Joy Offline
Journeyman

Here is the link to No Blade of Grass:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=No+Blade+Of+Grass+&search_type=&aq=-1&oq=

I can't seem to make the above link work. Here is the link to Part 1 (I hope it works):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbLD6kg9Bjk

There are some disturbing scenes in this movie, but I liked watching it because I like thinking about what could happen in a real bug out situation, even if the main character turns out to kill when it was unnecessary. Like Sock said "That was the amazing thing; in most post apocalypse films the saintly heroes are under attack from bands of killers. In this film the heroes ARE the killers! In fact they were worse than most."

Like we said at the beginning of this thread, there are some disturbing things that happen that actually made me mad. But I won't spoil it again encase someone here didn't read the beginning of this thread.

I fast forwarded through most of the first video. It is mostly scenes of pollution. It kind of reminded me of the beginning of "Soylent Green."

It shows how some people might become very dangerous in a world that has fallen apart and anarchy reigns.

I think there are situations here that can be discussed civily, like is it best to travel alone or with just your immediate family, or in a larger group? Should little new born babies and their mothers be left behind? And many other questions that come to mind.

I haven't seen to many 'bug out' movies before. I saw one I think is called "The Postman?" Maybe someone who reads this can recommend some other movies. We already had a thread on Post Apocalytic books from which I took notes.

Joy

#138719 - 07/05/08 07:20 AM Re: No Blade of Grass [Re: Joy]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Another film about what we would to survive is 'The Last Valley'. Michael Caine rightly regarded it as one of his best performances.
'The Wild Bunch' and 'Lifeboat' are films with a similar theme. Characters are faced with the choice; should they sacrife others, to save themselves.
By the last stage of 'No Blade of Grass', that is all that is happening. A couple where one is too sick to walk, a couple who have just given birth, a couple with a baby still breastfeeding, Finally his own brother.
Who isn't John Constance willing to sacrifice for the sake of the group?
The Sock

#138721 - 07/05/08 08:05 AM Re: No Blade of Grass [Re: TheSock]
Joy Offline
Journeyman

Thank you Sock. I will check out the movies you just mentioned. I am looking forward to it. Maybe Netflix carries them.

I read on another thread that you are coming to the U.S. to hike. Cool! I hope you have a safe and wonderful trip!

My husband has been to London twice, but I never Have. He got to travel in the last job he had.

Joy

#138725 - 07/05/08 12:15 PM Re: No Blade of Grass [Re: Joy]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Joy
Her ladyship and I would love to meet you if you get here!
The Sock

#138741 - 07/05/08 04:32 PM Re: No Blade of Grass [Re: TheSock]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: TheSock
Nothing you have mentioned weighs anything significant for a car. Get the bathroom scales out and you can prove it.
Although any excess weight will affect the fuel economy.

Which isn't to say don't do it, just be aware that it isn't "free".

PS in England we may not get hurricanes, but we do get tornadoes - serious ones that tear the roofs off houses. Although they only affect a few score houses at a time, so you could "bug out" to a nearby hotel.

We get earthquakes, too, but mostly little ones. That we get any at all shows the ground is geologically active.

#138744 - 07/05/08 04:44 PM Re: No Blade of Grass [Re: Brangdon]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Thanks Brangdon. I'm thinking of 'bugging out' of the kind we did on escape and evasion exercise in the army. I.e you are in enemy territory after escaping from being a POW, or trying not to become one. So the shout "BUG OUT!" means 'the enemy have found our hide; run with whatever you have on you'. No time to pack.
I'm not sure if that is the meaning here; this is after all not a military web site and also an american one.
So far in the UK the tornados have left the houses standing and you wouldn't have to head to the door in the clothes you were wearing. With global warming watch this space to see if that lasts....
But as you say; having overnight bags packed will only make life easier.
The Sock

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 530 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.