The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#138610 - 07/03/08 11:41 PM Re: Nuclear tourism at Chernobyl [Re: Blast]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
Yeah, Blast, its like some kind of radioactive siren luring me closer.

Regardless of what the report says, the locals still stay away tho... I was working with some Ukranian graphic artists a few years ago, and they accidently made a wrong turn and ended up on the road to Chernobyl. The driver freaked out when he saw the sign and almost put them in a ditch trying to turn around in a hurry.

#138628 - 07/04/08 05:24 AM Re: Nuclear tourism at Chernobyl [Re: clarktx]
Stokie Offline

Loc: Paris, France
IRMC, wasn't there a web site of some russian girl on a Ninja motorbike that used to ride through the streets of Chernobyl. She gives some very useful info about the radiation, some of the pictures tell there own story of radiation.

Found the site:

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme4/kiddofspeed/index.html

#138633 - 07/04/08 05:58 AM Re: Nuclear tourism at Chernobyl [Re: Stokie]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
The Pripyat of Call of Duty 4 is as close as I'd ever want to get to Chernobyl. It's creepy enough in a video game.

#138636 - 07/04/08 06:25 AM Re: Nuclear tourism at Chernobyl [Re: Nicodemus]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
There are birds nesting *inside the Chernobyl Sarcophagus* now. As long as one stays on the approved & cleared roads a day trip shouldn't be a big deal. Though I can think of other tourist destinations I'd rather visit...

#138662 - 07/04/08 02:48 PM Re: Nuclear tourism at Chernobyl [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
red Offline

A little bit more trivia on Chernobyl I learned at Idaho State. The way they "doused" the fire was to pour tons of what our presenter called a "talc-like powder" onto the smoldering fire. Then, the place was cemented up. The problem is, like Blast said, it's still a seething hot core under there. The presenter said that there is a very real possibility of it blowing up again, this time releasing the fine talc into the atmosphere. He said the second one will make the first look like a "minor incident".

Another interesting thing on his trip to Chernobyl. They had geiger counters, badges, etc. to measure the radiation during their trip. There were signs on the road that said "keep your windows up" d/t high radiation levels and everyone was freaking out about the radiation. He then showed a slide of the levels of exposure plotted over time. There were some smaller spikes, and then one big spike at the end. That one tripled the other spikes. Someone in the audience said "Is that when you were at the Chernobyl site?" "No," came the reply, "that was because someone left the detector on during the flight home." That was when I first learned how important the atmosphere is to stop radiation from frying you.

#138679 - 07/04/08 06:23 PM Re: Nuclear tourism at Chernobyl [Re: Stokie]
clarktx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Houston, Texas
Originally Posted By: Stokie
She gives some very useful info about the radiation, some of the pictures tell there own story of radiation.

Wow, that site is great. I was just reading over the part about how there are 2000 abandoned towns/villages in a 150 mile radius around it. She says Chernobyl translates to wormwood, which has some religious symbolism if you are into that sort of thing (a star that falls and poisons 1/3 of the rivers on earth). Wikipedia pseudo-correlates this, inferring that wormwood is in the mugwort family.

Love the photos. Thanks for the link.

#138685 - 07/04/08 08:11 PM Re: Nuclear tourism at Chernobyl [Re: clarktx]
red Offline

Uh, with all due respect, I wouldn't put too much faith in that girl's (elena) knowledge of radiation dosimetry.

She makes it sound like the helicopter pilots were killed by being irradiated with gamma radiation. They crashed. The mortality rate from those irradiated with extremely high gamma and beta doses was a little over 1 percent. Gamma radiation sounds super scary and its range *is* scary, but it is such a high energy particle that most passes through your body harmlessly. The scary stuff is beta-emitting particles(when inhaled or ingested).

Did anyone hear that the cancer rate of the exposed emergency workers and inhabitants of Bryansk (the most radiation contaminated area)were 15 percent and 5 percent lower, respectively, than the general population? That's not sexy data, and you'll never hear it on the news at 10.

Chernobyl was a worst-case scenario nuclear disaster, and less than 100 people died directly from it. The 4,000 thyroid cancer deaths that the WHO attributed to it is VERY debatable and IMHO is due to an increased screening artifact.

Was Chernobyl bad? Yes, but it *should* have been much, much worse.

#138691 - 07/04/08 10:37 PM Re: Nuclear tourism at Chernobyl [Re: red]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I can tell you, as a fact, that the death rates are much, much, much higher as 1998, I believe was the last intel I was privy to.

#138743 - 07/05/08 04:35 PM Re: Nuclear tourism at Chernobyl [Re: wildman800]
red Offline

Gov't cover up?

Wouldn't be surprised.

#138745 - 07/05/08 05:02 PM Re: Nuclear tourism at Chernobyl [Re: red]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I remember that "Kid of Speed" website from years ago. I just followed the URL posted here and went back to it. It has expanded. The only thing I remember from years ago was the "Ghost Town" picture essay. I always thought it was a neat website. Interesting.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.