Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#138240 - 06/30/08 05:06 PM Re: My EDC (jungle_of_malaya) [Re: jungle_of_malaya]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Actually, you can fit a pretty tangible fishing kit into a small tube and place that in your kit. I'm sure there is room for it.

Not sure of what restrictions you have there, but perhaps a tightly bundled gill net could be extreemly useful.

#138244 - 06/30/08 05:23 PM Re: My EDC (jungle_of_malaya) [Re: Mike_H]
jungle_of_malaya Offline
Jungle Boy
Stranger

Loc: Malaysia

thanks mike for reminding me about the gill net. i totally forgotten about the gill net.
i have checked the gill net at the local tackle shop. they are about RM10-RM15 (depends on size) approx US$3.00 - 4.50.
i think its a good thing to have in the fishing kit. i have used them before to catch some fish at the lakes.

just to share with everyone one of the lakes in my area (its about 500m-1km away from my house.

#138249 - 06/30/08 06:38 PM Re: My EDC (jungle_of_malaya) [Re: jungle_of_malaya]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
What is the water quality there? High levels of heavy metals in the fish such as mercury, etc???

#138270 - 06/30/08 09:08 PM Re: My EDC (jungle_of_malaya) [Re: jungle_of_malaya]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Looks good all in all. I would suggest definately getting either a 1ltr nalgene or sigg aluminum bottle, its always a good thing to start your fishing/hiking/hunting trip with some water on board. The reason for getting one in one liter is because most water purification additives rely on 1 ltr/quart as a quantity. Remember if the water is poor quality to use your bandanna to pre-filter. For replacing your ziplocks, platypus and nalgene both make a soft water pouch, and there is a thread here that has a newer brand on the market. Don't know how accesable these are to you, but they are superior to ziplocks. Don't get me wrong, ziplocks are better than nothing, but there are better/stronger things out there.
I noticed you have a victorinox pouch, do you have a vic tool or knife? If not I'd try to get a farmer at least, good saw. Decent blade, bottle cap and can opener

-Bill Liptak

#138279 - 06/30/08 10:03 PM Re: My EDC (jungle_of_malaya) [Re: BillLiptak]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
EDC - I would consider adding a couple Aspirin, Aleve, Imodium, antihistimine, antiseptic wipes, or their equivalents. I agree with Bill Liptak: consider a "swiss army knife" as your EDC folder.

Gill net - sounds like a PSK or BOB item to me.

Once you settle on your EDC gear, you might want to consider developing a personal survival kit (PSK) and a personal first aid kit (PFAK). These could be pocket-carry items to extend and add some redundancy to your EDC.

#138299 - 07/01/08 02:11 AM Re: My EDC (jungle_of_malaya) [Re: dweste]
jungle_of_malaya Offline
Jungle Boy
Stranger

Loc: Malaysia
the water quality is undetermined (bacterias, mercury etc). i am for sure will not drink from the lakes here unless its been purified and filtered to remove all the nasty substances. it used to be clean years ago, but with recent developments in the area, its doubtful the water is clean.
I should consider rain water, since it rains here often smile
Probably add some kind of water storage.

i have some swiss army knives and a vic multitool. occasionally i put 1 victorinox knife in my pocket. i would prefer to bring the multitool along, but its a bit heavy and i didnt want to have my pants dropping off to my knees, if you know what i mean.
i have a small vic with my carkeys.
also to have a multitool or any such knives could also have me facing problem with the authorities here frown

since i am allergic to quite a number of drugs, i always have the allergic list in my wallet.so far in my FAK, i have some paracetamol (since i am allergic to aspirins, and many many other drugs frown ), some bandaids,a bandage and a small tube of antiseptic cream. hopefully with enough of resources ($) i will upgrade them.

water treatment/purification kit here is hard to find. i have seen some MSR kit around town, but they are ridiculously priced (with taxes & shipping and all...). i can only option for the "cheaper" hovid tablets.

#138308 - 07/01/08 06:44 AM Re: My EDC (jungle_of_malaya) [Re: jungle_of_malaya]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The first thing I would add to your 'kit' is a course with BANDIT LEADER and his classes in Malasia! You will find him listed in our resources. We haven't heard much from him. I emailed after the tsunami and they were all volunteering.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 553 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.