The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#136762 - 06/19/08 03:21 PM Re: Another Chris Reeve Disappointment [Re: Naseem]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I'd never put a knife through what knifetests.com does, I view it as something kind of like crash-testing a car. I don't intend to crash a car into a concrete wall, but the tests are designed to show you want happens if you accidently do so.

Knifetests.com calls their tests "destruction" tests. kc2ixe recently posted about a job he had in "environmental testing." It pretty much seemed to be trying things out to see if you could break them.

Knifetests.com take a knife and puts it knife through a bunch of crap to see how it takes the punishment, and in the end, the knife is probably going destroyed. Destruction testing an item may have some benefit, but it is not the end all and be all. Look at the tests, and take it for what you think it's worth. If you think they are worthless, don't look at them.

#136768 - 06/19/08 03:40 PM Re: Another Chris Reeve Disappointment [Re: Dan_McI]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
What do you all think of Doug Ritters fixed blade as a survival knife?
The Sock

#136778 - 06/19/08 04:04 PM Re: Another Chris Reeve Disappointment [Re: TheSock]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I know I'm not really answering the question but the best survival knife is the one you have with you.

#136779 - 06/19/08 04:06 PM Re: Another Chris Reeve Disappointment [Re: Naseem]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Naseem
Is it possible to split wood by hitting it against a rock rather then battoning it?

For that matter, exactly why would I want to split wood in a survival situation? Fuzz it up, sure. Split it? How about picking smaller sticks for kindling use?

FWIW, I carry one of those little wire saws. The way I figure it cutting may be critical, splitting? Notsomuch.

-john

#136791 - 06/19/08 05:32 PM Re: Another Chris Reeve Disappointment [Re: JohnN]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

It's not always possible to find appropriately sized sticks for kindling...depending of course on where you are.

#136801 - 06/19/08 06:26 PM Re: Another Chris Reeve Disappointment [Re: JohnN]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: JohnN
Is it possible to split wood by hitting it against a rock rather then battoning it?

For that matter, exactly why would I want to split wood in a survival situation? Fuzz it up, sure. Split it? How about picking smaller sticks for kindling use?

FWIW, I carry one of those little wire saws. The way I figure it cutting may be critical, splitting? Notsomuch.

-john

If the outside of the wood is soaked, splitting can get you into the drier center and make it easier to build a fire.

#136802 - 06/19/08 06:27 PM Re: Another Chris Reeve Disappointment [Re: JohnN]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: JohnN

-john

Go use the saw, cut 15 pieces of wood or so, make a few traps with the saw. Then tell us what you think.

#136803 - 06/19/08 06:28 PM Re: Another Chris Reeve Disappointment [Re: ]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Seems like typically you can compensate with shavings.

In reality it seems like there is only a narrow window of wood sizes you are going to be able to baton anyway.

I guess I'd say splitting wood might be more useful in the case of wood that is wet externally.

Anyways, I think people should endeavor to be able to compensate for variance in the materials they have at hand.

-john

#136805 - 06/19/08 06:33 PM Re: Another Chris Reeve Disappointment [Re: Stu]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: SBRaider
Go use the saw, cut 15 pieces of wood or so, make a few traps with the saw. Then tell us what you think.

You mean like landing on an aircraft carrier? I don't think it's strong enough. :-p

-john

#136806 - 06/19/08 06:35 PM Re: Another Chris Reeve Disappointment [Re: ]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
The only disappointment I felt was after realizing I wasted 40 minutes watching these "tests".

Actually, I take that back. At first I was fine with the slicing, cutting, chopping, second cutting, first baton, third cutting, and digging tests. I only started to think it was all a waste when the host started placing the blade on an angle, began to hit it with the three pound hammer and failed to hit the blade directly on the spine several times.

Friggin' shocker... Torque on the blade caused a relatively brittle steel to break...

I probably wouldn't have been so disappointed in these "tests" if they were undertaken with very strict protocols, but when you introduce the human element into testing there's going to be vast number of variations. He was holding both the hammer and knife in his hands and striking one against the other at different angles with variable force. You could counter with, "humans will be using these blades in the field, not machines." and that's valid to a point. However, it also negates any type of ranking system between various blades from different manufacturers. It could very well be an odd variable and not an attribute of the blade that allows one knife to survive longer than another.

You could argue that the first tests that I was OK with had a human element in them, and I'd agree. I'd also say that they were a little more forgiving of variation.

On a side note...

I neither own nor have any interest in Chris Reeve knives because they're beyond what I'm willing to pay for a blade. So, I don't have to defend him based on my experience. However, I feel the need to question your (ulfhedinn) motives when you state, "Since this is a different kind of steel than the last one now the Reeve factory seems to have a real problem." based on a "test" that shows obvious user error.

You also have a total of 28 posts, many of which (12 I believe) are within 2 threads started by you and with the titles "Chris Reeve Disappointment" and "Another Chris Reeve Disappointment"

Are you intentionally trying to slander Chris Reeve and his work?

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 186 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.