The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#136479 - 06/17/08 05:12 PM Re: Keeping it minimal [Re: Buffalohump]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Go buy a woman's compact makeup mirror that has the face powder in it. I'm sure any chemist/pharmacy/store will have those in abundance. Strip the powder out and use it as a small FAK.

Edited by MoBOB (06/17/08 05:13 PM)

#136485 - 06/17/08 07:09 PM Re: Keeping it minimal [Re: Buffalohump]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Leave your planned itinerary with someone you trust. A photocopy of a map with your planned route highlighted is best. If you are considering some side-hikes, include that info too ("We MAY explore this side trail if time allows"). Add to the map your planned times and other important details. When you expect to leave the trailhead, arrive at the cave, return to the trailhead, the license number of your car, who you are hiking with, etc. Maybe even a list of the gear you are carrying so they can estimate your level of preparedness. Make sure your trusted person knows who to call (rescue group - include contact info) and how soon after you're overdue to call them.

#136492 - 06/17/08 09:59 PM Re: Keeping it minimal [Re: Buffalohump]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
You've heard enough about mirrors. :P

Space blanket. Heat sheets are better but probably harder to find there; 2-3 large liner bags will do if you have nothing else.

Dental floss. Maybe a meter or two of wire, and/or zip ties.

Spare socks.

Good pair of tweezers, or better a small pair of needle nose pliers with wire cutters. (Since you are carrying a SAK.)

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#136496 - 06/17/08 10:19 PM Re: Keeping it minimal [Re: Buffalohump]
LED Offline
Veteran

Buffalohump, nice lights. Milkyspit (Scott) over on CPF does a wonderful Seoul P4 mod on the HDS. My Basic42 is a whole new light. Of course, if you're into modding you could do it yourself, there's lots of instructional threads.

#136516 - 06/18/08 02:29 AM Re: Keeping it minimal [Re: BruceZed]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
May I ask, what is a "Bear Scare"???

#136540 - 06/18/08 05:41 AM Re: Keeping it minimal [Re: Blast]
Buffalohump Offline

Loc: Durban, South Africa
Hey,

Its gonna be a fairly gradual upward move. Not sure of the exact elevation we'll achieve but the air will definitely be thinner.

I have almost finished loading my pack and its gonna be weighty. Its an 80L bag and its almost full. Unfortunately my sleeping bag is hollow fibre not down so its fairly heavy at around 2,5kgs (approx. 5,5lbs.)

The sleeping mat has a foam inner and can be inflated as well. It weighs around 1,1 kgs (2,4lbs).

We plan to take it easy and have one whole day to do the 12kms (7,5 miles) so slow and steady wins the race. I figure I'll need every rest opp I get!

Originally Posted By: Blast
What sort of elevation change will you be dealing with? Will it be very steep or more gradual? I don't know what sort of shape you are in, but excess gear weight is brutal in the mountains. Definately replace the Otter box with ditty bag(s). Will you be using a sleeping pad? Closed cell foam or self-inflating? The self inflating are comfy, but the weight is a killer. Thermarest makes a great 14oz z-fold pad that is much better for hauling up a mountain.

Don't cut vital gear just because it's heavy, but definately take weight into consideration. Better yet, load up all your gear then start climbing stairs.

-Blast

#136541 - 06/18/08 05:44 AM Re: Keeping it minimal [Re: LED]
Buffalohump Offline

Hey,

Thanks! I did speak to Scott about his mod but decided to keep it standard for now. It makes a good companion for the Novatac, which I just received the other day.

Mark

Originally Posted By: LED
Buffalohump, nice lights. Milkyspit (Scott) over on CPF does a wonderful Seoul P4 mod on the HDS. My Basic42 is a whole new light. Of course, if you're into modding you could do it yourself, there's lots of instructional threads.

#136542 - 06/18/08 05:49 AM Re: Keeping it minimal [Re: haertig]
Buffalohump Offline

Hey,

Thanks for the advice. The area is very big with hikers so they have a registry you have to fill out at the start-point where you give them your itinerary and they record details of everyone in the party (down to pack colours, etc). I also plan to leave a copy of the route and contact details of the registry office with my wife.

Originally Posted By: haertig
Leave your planned itinerary with someone you trust. A photocopy of a map with your planned route highlighted is best. If you are considering some side-hikes, include that info too ("We MAY explore this side trail if time allows"). Add to the map your planned times and other important details. When you expect to leave the trailhead, arrive at the cave, return to the trailhead, the license number of your car, who you are hiking with, etc. Maybe even a list of the gear you are carrying so they can estimate your level of preparedness. Make sure your trusted person knows who to call (rescue group - include contact info) and how soon after you're overdue to call them.

#136544 - 06/18/08 05:57 AM Re: Keeping it minimal [Re: camerono]
Buffalohump Offline

Hey,

Thanks for the link! Very useful info there...

I need to get more polyester clothing, I have way too much cotton.

I do have a good rain jacket and down vest though (North Face).

Its winter here though, so rain is very unlikely. The forecast for the weekend is good... and hopefully accurate!

Mark

Originally Posted By: cameron2trade
I organize a group of about 1300 backpackers. I get asked this question all of the time. Thus I have created this thread on my message board. Pictures and explinations included.

Here is what I use at a minimum you of course would need more food:

http://backpackers.meetup.com/114/messages/boards/thread/2281318

Cameron

#136545 - 06/18/08 06:00 AM Re: Keeping it minimal [Re: BruceZed]
Buffalohump Offline

Sounds great, I'll check it out!

Originally Posted By: BruceZed
Take a look at our equipment list for our 100 Kilometre Survival Challenge, you might get some ideas. It is for a 5 day trip so we will have a bit more than you, but no more food. Hundred-K Survival Challenge Equipment List

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.