The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#135998 - 06/13/08 08:10 PM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: MDinana]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Try one pinned behind a steering wheel. For real fun, turn the car upside down...

#136020 - 06/13/08 09:42 PM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Try one pinned behind a steering wheel. For real fun, turn the car upside down...

... on a dark rainy night, with muddy ditch water running through the wreck, by the light of a Mini-Mag ...

Jeff

#136037 - 06/13/08 11:56 PM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: Jeff_M]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

WOW!! Those are some situations that I would'nt like to be in, much less preforming CPR!

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#136044 - 06/14/08 12:49 AM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: Jeff_M]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

That too. We won't even get into spilled gasoline, sparks from downed power lines, etc etc etc...

#136213 - 06/16/08 01:20 AM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: climberslacker]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
CPR was invented in Viet Nam, and spread stateside as military docs returned to the world. The American Heart Association began promoting CPR as a public service, and it rapidly turned into a major revenue source for them in providing the trainer certification, workbooks, and all the rest of the stuff that goes along with it. I learned CPR before AHA started the program, and have been duly recertified every couple of years for 3 decades, and the AHA guidelines have changed each time, as they should . AHA guidelines always lag a bit behind the research in CPR, cuz AHA guidelines are approved by a committee, and approval becomes political.
Latest example: 'The "new CPR" — developed at the University of Arizona — has tripled survival rates for cardiac-arrest patients rescued by Phoenix paramedics, a preliminary study shows.
This is the latest in a mounting body of evidence suggesting that the "new CPR" — doing chest compressions only — can save more lives than the old CPR, which includes mouth-to-mouth breathing.
However, the evidence has not persuaded the American Heart Association — the group that issues national guidelines for cardiopulmonary resuscitation — to fully adopt chest-compression-only CPR for victims of sudden cardiac arrest.'
http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/156249.php

The other complicating factor is that is that the research suggests that less than 4% of the patients resuscitated in the field leave the hospital alive. Of those that survive, more tha 14% have moderate to severe brain damage. http://www.ispub.com/ostia/index.php?xmlFilePath=journals/ijrdm/vol4n1/survival.xml

Like most things in life, CPR is complicated. We try to do the right thing. We try to use our skills. We try not to disappoint the family. We try not to be criticized, or sued, by folks who feel that we could have done more. But it is also true that there is a reason that the patient arrested. That reason may (96% of the time) be something that cannot be fixed by medical science. Doing CPR may give them some time to spend with their loved ones, or it may give them a loneger life with permanent brain damage.
We always err on the side of life-honor the do not resuscitate request if your state permits us to do so, but proceed with resuscitation if in doubt. I have participated in resuscitating 95 year old folks with brain cancer-no DNR, no choice. Gotta do it. But also, gotta recognize that, sometimes, resuscitation prolongs death, rather than prolonging life.

#136215 - 06/16/08 01:24 AM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: nursemike]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...no DNR, no choice..."

That is why, when you get old, or have a serious medical problem, you get a DNR and post that thing EVERYWHERE...

#136231 - 06/16/08 03:35 AM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: nursemike]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: nursemike
However, the evidence has not persuaded the American Heart Association — the group that issues national guidelines for cardiopulmonary resuscitation — to fully adopt chest-compression-only CPR for victims of sudden cardiac arrest.'
http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/156249.php

That news article is from 2006. You'll be pleased to know that the AHA has made the change. I posted about it few months ago here , where you'll find the link to the AHA's new "Hands-only CPR" campaign on their website. Mike, you may be more interested in the link to the AHA's Emergency Cardiovascular Care Committee article in the March 31, 2008 edition of Circulation and reading the nitty-gritty about the change in the journal article.

Has anyone taken a CPR class in the past couple months? Just curious if they have switched the curriculum yet. For various practical reasons--like re-training instructors, using up the old materials and printing new materials, etc.--it could take a pretty long while before people are actually learning the new guidelines.

#136251 - 06/16/08 02:30 PM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: OldBaldGuy]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...no DNR, no choice..."

That is why, when you get old, or have a serious medical problem, you get a DNR and post that thing EVERYWHERE...

You kidding? When I hit 70, that sucker is getting TATOOED on my chest, right where the hands have to go. Probably get "No Shock" where the paddles go as well.

NurseMike, certainly feel your pain on those old folks. Folks like that, we're just working because (98% of the time) of selfish family not realizing the obvious.

#136267 - 06/16/08 05:20 PM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: MDinana]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...TATOOED on my chest, right where the hands have to go..."

Being just about the only member of my family without a tatoo, that sounds like the one I want.

We did learn something with my mother-in-law, some hospitals will not accept a DNR, and a durable power of attorney, unless they are on that particular hospitals forms. And every hospital has their own forms...

#136269 - 06/16/08 05:31 PM Re: The CPR mask thread [Re: OldBaldGuy]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Sounds like y'all are in a hurry to die. The last thing that would keep me awake at night is worrying that someone might SAVE my life.

I need a tatoo that says R?BYA - "Resuscitate? BET YOUR ..."

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.