Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#130469 - 04/18/08 03:51 AM Re: Car Kit [Re: UTAlumnus]
LeeG Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
1" EMT conduit makes a great breaker bar. It fits over the handle of most ratchets and smaller breaker bars.

#130470 - 04/18/08 04:22 AM Re: Car Kit [Re: LeeG]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
I'll have to get a length of it. I'm working on reducing tool kit size from full size ext. cab pickup to mid-size car & that's the one item I hadn't found a good option for.

#132759 - 05/13/08 05:23 PM Re: Car Kit [Re: DaveT]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: DaveT
It never ceases to amaze me how little space there actually is behind the back bench seat in a Caravan.

I'm having the opposite experience, Dave. I'm changing primary vehicles from a mini-van to a '91 Civic 4 door. I can't believe how much stuff I kept in that van! The trunk in the civic feels a little bigger than the rear compartment of the van but man, there's a whole lot less interior space to hide stuff!

As always, thanks for excellent food for thought everyone!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#132761 - 05/13/08 05:52 PM Re: Car Kit [Re: EHCRain10]
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: EHCRain10
For any of you that have a small folding shovel, try it out in the backyard one day, my father keeps one in the farm truck and one day when i had gotten stuck and was trying to dig out the handle broke. luckily there was a tractor on the way to pull me out but that doesn't always happen, the shovel was an old army surplus to boot.

I keep a Cold Steel Special Forces shovel in each car...was no match during a blizzard when a plow driver kindly put 3 feet of snow around my car...but it's done well every other time...designed after a Soviet Spetnaz shovel...around $15 these days...check them out!

But this is a good reminder to beat on the gear that you are planning to use to save your skin...all this kit building does no good if your components are going to fail you when you need them most...use and abuse...the stuff that holds up? Make a permanent place in your kit for it!

#132781 - 05/13/08 07:42 PM Re: Car Kit [Re: LeeG]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'd add some food in the form of granola bars, a spare cell charger, sunglasses, ponchos.

#135731 - 06/12/08 05:25 PM Re: Car Kit [Re: TeacherRO]
Still_Alive Offline
Finally, I am a

Loc: Utah
Thanks for the info. This is a great kit!

#135752 - 06/12/08 06:38 PM Re: Car Kit [Re: LeeG]
cajun_kw Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Southern California
Spare Thermostat and a Radiator cap might prove handy to go with xtra hoses, belts and coolant.
Consider checking to see if your vehicle has any special needs for fill & venting the cooling system. My pickup does .. but no car I ever had before did ...might be handy to know.
I don't think thermostats fail as often as radiator caps might.
And I've had about every water cooled car have a radiator failure. Most vehicles now have plastic manifolds on their radiators ...the one on my truck leaked before 50K miles. My other failure experiences were with metal radiators and occurred around the 100K miles mark. I'm thinking now maybe some kind of hi temp epoxy repair system might be helpful for just such a failure.
Might want to add a set of Torx bits ... I discovered I needed mine when I changed out my throttle position sensor last week and saw more of those type screws than I'd thought there would be.
All my cars carry a small air compressor and Flat Fix. Some compressors are wimpier than others ...mine cost $50 at Costco and is the strongest I found so far. There are more expensive ones out there .. but $50/car was spendy enough for my wallet.
I love my Cold Steel Shovel ...but a folding one might take up less space and should work adequately enough.
Hadn't thought of adding an oil drain plug and washer ...that could be tough to do without if it got lost.
I don't EDC or stash in my kits any less than a week's worth of personal Meds....and a month is my preferred minimum for my kits.
Love the compartmentalized examples that were posted ....some day my stuff will be that organized too ...

#135780 - 06/12/08 09:28 PM Re: Car Kit [Re: cajun_kw]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...I don't think thermostats fail as often as radiator caps might..."

Maybe I just have bad luck, but I have had a jillion thermostats freeze up on me, and never had a radiator cap fail...

#136068 - 06/14/08 03:30 AM Re: Car Kit [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Toilet paper.

#136187 - 06/15/08 07:49 PM Re: Car Kit [Re: Ade]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

+1 on the spare fuses, extra tarp/blanket for staying dry/insulating against hot tarmac, the silicon tape from Duluth Trading Co..
I also recommend a tire plug kit, have plugged mine at least a dozen times over the years and never had one fail in plug afterwards. A good air pump that runs off the lighter is a good suggestion too, I tend to perfer this set up over fix-a-flat any day of the week.

-Bill Liptak

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 266 Guests and 84 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by chaosmagnet
Today at 01:07 AM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
Yesterday at 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.