Topic Options
#135922 - 06/13/08 05:03 PM Re: Urban Survival Dream [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
However I think a back pack just screams "survival gear."

Maybe to people in this forum, but I would think in a modern, urban setting people would just think "books & computer". Most people don't carry survival supplies and they are shocked when they encounter someone who does. I doubt in an emergency they would suddenly start thinking anyone with a backpack is carrying survival supplies.

Here's an example. What do you think when you see a man wearing a waistpack in the front of his body? The average person probably thinks "dork" but I bet a lot of pople here think "concealed handgun".

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#135923 - 06/13/08 05:09 PM Re: Urban Survival Dream [Re: Blast]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
From my observation, the traditional briefcase in the city is becoming more rare, and backpacks more common. Small daypacks anyway. Today, if you are carrying a daypack you won't even get a second look.

#135924 - 06/13/08 05:13 PM Re: Urban Survival Dream [Re: DesertFox]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
When possible, I tend to go with a computer bag, but often I carry a briefcase.

Backpacks are definitely more common place and don't get a second look.

#135939 - 06/13/08 05:53 PM Re: Urban Survival Dream [Re: Mike_H]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I think that it depends on the backpack. If you were walking down the street with a heavy laden 80L expedition pack...you might become a target to be mugged for food, water, tools, etc. If you had a courier bag or a book bag, then you'd blend in fine.

I've been contemplating moving my BOB to a book bag for this very reason...unfortunately it's full of pockets and notebook sleeves and water bottle holders so fitting in the big stuff I'd want to bug out with isn't that practical.

Worse yet is the other end of the spectrum. I know people who think looking 'tactical' = being prepared...in the case of a bug out situation those are the people who are going to have a hard time blending in.

#135945 - 06/13/08 06:16 PM Re: Urban Survival Dream [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I usually think "dork with a concealed handgun"...

#135985 - 06/13/08 07:36 PM Re: Urban Survival Dream [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Hey, you've described the old soft-sided Trager briefcases I keep in the corner of my office and at home, each holds a bulk volume of basic medical supplies (kerlix, triangle bandages, 4x4s, ABD pads, gloves, masks, scissors, cheap rain ponchos). The only thing that qualifies them to hold medical supplies is an expandable middle that hold alot, and some outer pockets for some incidentals (splinting materials and a first aid reference mostly). They look something like this, only more beat up. http://www.bagsbuy.com/trager-540r-everyday-expandable-brief/22324/22324 They're reasonably water resistant and they were free, about 10-15 years ago I bought them to hold laptops, but since retired them. I can sling them over my shoulder and move, alot easier than the plastic box I used to keep bulk supplies in. So I filled them up with stuff I may need after a 9.0 quake, something I can grab and go outside and start tending to people. Enough for probably 30-50 wounds at the moment. It looks nothing like a medic bag, but I'm not a medic. And its not a well-rounded First Aid Kit, I have one of those separate to rely on for medical essentials. I work in the middle of what will likely be a mass casualty area. I bring supplies to where we can expect wounded, and if they're used up I don't really care about getting the bag back. I would probably be alot pickier if I bought one of the fancier $85 medic bags purpose built to zip out and expose the innards.

#136013 - 06/13/08 08:59 PM Re: Urban Survival Dream [Re: Lono]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Back in the late '60s, I designed a kit such as dreamed by JI. It was based on the hard sided, large, but lightweight American Tourester briefcase then in vogue. It was used, for many years by our local volunteer ambulance corps. I first decided what supplies were to be carried. Then I took the case and the first aid supplies to the shop teacher at the Middle School. We worked out the interior arrangement, which he framed out in lightweight wood and he added a clear plastic latching lid for both sides. It was very efficent and easy to work from,especially at car accident scenes.

#136163 - 06/15/08 04:11 AM Re: Urban Survival Dream [Re: acropolis5]
bmisf Offline

When I was commuting to an office job I kept a few EDC items in my leather briefcase - a FAK, a neck lanyard with whistle, knife and bright LED light, mini prybar and a face mask. They were flat enough to be unnoticeable in an inside pocket, and the main thought was to have the minimal stuff that would get me (and others) out of the building in case of fire, earthquake, etc.

I still kept a BOB and other stuff in the car. Always have a Delica 4 in my pocket along with wallet, keys and photon light.

#136167 - 06/15/08 08:30 AM Re: Urban Survival Dream [Re: bmisf]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Jeanette Isabelle's initial post about a custom survival briefcase reminded me that women's clothing typicaly has no pockets. Even EDC must be a bit more of a challenge, so a custom briefcase or equivalent may make more sense for women.

Blending in: for EDC develop a pocket system or carry what people in your profession normally carry. Students, support technicians, etc. usually have packs, bags,and cases. Business types have briefcases: soft-sided, hard-sided, shoulder strapped, even rolling. Everyone carries a shopping bag or box from time to time.

If it is BOB time, change into your travel clothing - with which a modest backpack should look appropriate. You are just a student or casual traveler who uses a backpack rather than some other kind of "luggage."

#136173 - 06/15/08 03:56 PM Re: Urban Survival Dream [Re: dweste]
bmisf Offline

To expand on Dweste's point - I use a modular system of pouches and packets, the smaller and most basic of which can move from bag to bag (the pockets of the leather briefcase, a hip pack, pockets of a larger pack, etc.) Makes things really flexible for day-to-day use across a variety of situations.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 227 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.