Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#135756 - 06/12/08 07:03 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation, II [Re: Still_Alive]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: Still_Alive
How do Heat Sheets do when laid directly on snow, even in a snow cave?

A heat sheet might prevent melted snow from soaking into your bag and clothing but it will provide zero insulation value.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#135761 - 06/12/08 07:42 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation, II [Re: thseng]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: thseng
Originally Posted By: Still_Alive
How do Heat Sheets do when laid directly on snow, even in a snow cave?

A heat sheet might prevent melted snow from soaking into your bag and clothing but it will provide zero insulation value.

I would second that opinion.

Just so that it's clear, my intention when I originally mentioned the AMK Heatsheet was to use it as a blanket (windbreak) and not as a ground cloth. While I can only guess, my feeling is that these folks were considerably underdressed for the conditions that they were in.

Jim

#135763 - 06/12/08 08:08 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation, II [Re: Paragon]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

The other thing that needs to be remembered is that a heatsheet/space blanket typically does very little when used to wrap a person who has frostbite or hypothermia as they are radiating very little energy to reflect back.

They can be used to help increase the efficiency of a fire to warm said person more completely however.

#135767 - 06/12/08 08:22 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Paragon]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Mt Rainier makes it's own weather. It can be sunny at the base
and a blizzard part way up. Like Mt Hood, it is a serious
mountain. No Heet Sheet is going to hold up to the winds or keep
out a blizzard. Sometimes 4 season tents don't survive.

Climbing to camp Muir is
not glaciated and when the sun is out the trip seems a nice long hike as there are no ropes etc. involved.

#135770 - 06/12/08 08:39 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation, II [Re: Paragon]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A group shelter such as a Bothy bag will be much more efficient than an AMK heatshield keeping out the snow and wind and is much lighter than any tent.

Terra Nova Bothy bag.

The Bothy Bag comes in various sizes from 2 man to 8 man etc and it has even been known to get a gas stove going in the middle of the huddle for a hot cup of tea.

Lightweight Thermarest seats are also useful.

http://www.thermarest.com/product_detail.aspx?pID=45&cID=4

Of course suitable clothing is critical as well for any weather conditions that could possibly occour.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (06/12/08 08:41 PM)

#135782 - 06/12/08 09:32 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation, II [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Here is an updated press account with some details on the recent tragedy on Rainier. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004472794_webhikers12m.html.

#135795 - 06/12/08 11:17 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Lono]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Hmm. There is a lesson about down in there too, methinks.

-john

Edited by JohnN (06/12/08 11:18 PM)
Edit Reason: can't spell

#135852 - 06/13/08 11:07 AM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: JohnN]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Sounds like the equipment level could likely be explained by the difference between alpine vs expedition style climbing. I'm guessing the folks here lean toward expedition style. wink

#136024 - 06/13/08 10:05 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: 7point82]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Experienced", in so many cases, seems to mean they got away with making bad decisions multiple times in the past. If you don't have a brain (and use it), experience means diddly squat.

"They knew the weather was getting bad ... They needed to get back to their car and needed to get out."

No, they didn't. The world didn't end when they died/nearly died, so it wouldn't have ended if they were two days getting back to work.

"... the three were about a quarter-mile from Camp Muir when they got lost in the zero-visibility weather ... 'They spent a lot of time wandering around trying to find their way back to a camp or a trail ... But they couldn't find their way.'"

I live less than 60 miles from Mt. Rainier. The weather changes fast, but not THAT fast. Look to see what the prevailing wind is bringing. If you can't see what's coming, stay put. But it was just a day hike, so they didn't bring a compass, or know how to use a compass. No GPS either, I assume. A couple of El Cheapo survival blankets might have prevented much of that moisture from being absorbed into the down garments.

But all these 'experienced' hikers and climbers always want to travel light, don't they? After all, it's only a day hike.

Western Washington has had one foot in winter all spring. Snow was predicted on June 6 (up to two feet) through June 11 in the Cascades. What part of 'check the weather' did they not understand?

Sue

#136027 - 06/13/08 10:31 PM Re: Importance of just a little bit of preparation [Re: Susan]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Susan, an el cheapo space blanket won't stand 70 mile and hour winds. Some don't even stand being unfolded.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 530 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.