The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#136203 - 06/15/08 11:29 PM Re: Urban Survival Dream [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Holy Smokes, that is one pricey (but good looking) bag. You could do the port and starboard thing, but most sailors don't recommend it...

#136208 - 06/16/08 12:16 AM Re: Urban Survival Dream [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
From port to starboard = an eskimo roll, one thing I hope never to experience.

Sue

#136210 - 06/16/08 12:25 AM Re: Urban Survival Dream [Re: Alex]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Alex
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
I've been contemplating moving my BOB to a book bag for this very reason...unfortunately it's full of pockets and notebook sleeves and water bottle holders so fitting in the big stuff I'd want to bug out with isn't that practical.

I've found that I could pack much more stuff in such a bag if I organize items in tall flat packs to better utilize the top side of the bag. Also they are stretching quite well, so a hard box placed in the external pocket or inner compartment could help to pack more.

I tried doing this last night with the BOB I'm formulating in another thread...it's full (tight full) without the sleeping bag even though it's about the same size on the outside as my German military rucksack. The difference is the ruck sack is just one big empty pocket. The other issue is that compression bags, stuff sacks, etc, don't go flat...and because everything is in a kit, the little pockets and flaps are dead weight.

The best pack for the job so far believe it or not is my Mountain Hardwear scrambler even though it has the smallest internal volume....I'm learning that shape is every bit as important as volume. I wish there were compression bags which compressed stuff flat like a book for the specific purpose of jamming soft goods into book bags.

#136218 - 06/16/08 01:31 AM Re: Urban Survival Dream [Re: ]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
I wish there were compression bags which compressed stuff flat like a book for the specific purpose of jamming soft goods into book bags.

By the way, I have 2 vacuum zip lock bags in my messenger bag with small soft things compressed really flat. It's a new brand, which I've recently discovered at my local SafeWay: "Reynolds Handi-Vac". They have a gallon and a quart sized bags available. http://www.reynoldspkg.com/reynoldskitchens/handi_vac/en/home.asp
Quart sized bags holds the vacuum really well, but after about 1 month of EDCing I had to deflate them one more time.

#136219 - 06/16/08 01:38 AM Re: Urban Survival Dream [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Actually, I was thinking of the military, Navy in particular, where port-starboard refers to a lot of double back shifts, with very little time off, and even less sleep. Sometimes hot bunking blended in, just for fun...

#136291 - 06/16/08 06:41 PM Re: Urban Survival Dream [Re: OldBaldGuy]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
That's normally General Quarters Condition III (GQ CON III) which is normal wartime steaming.

Half of the weapons mounts are manned and ready, half of the Damage Control Teams, and DC Central, are manned and ready, and the same thing is true of the CIC or CEC (as the case may be).

Everyone is standing 6 hrs on watch & 6 hrs off watch.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 128 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.