Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#136376 - 06/17/08 09:48 AM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Art_in_FL]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
If you mixed with people at all, your chances of survival in 1000AD europe without an understanding of religion would be nil.
As Art_in_FL says understanding local mores are essential.
Even today one guide book warns visitors to Indonesia with the cautionary tale of a traveller who a passerby saw hiding money in his sock, so promptly laid him out with a punch. The king is very highly respected and putting his picture next to the feet was a gross insult in an islamic country.
Saying you are a protestant in 1000AD and explaining that 'was a church that didn't follow the pope' would mean a fast journey to a fire. Trying to dig your way out with the modern day: 'I'm not really religious' would lead to the same result.
If you claimed to be a christian and they could see you didn't know the rules of the Catholic Church; well god knows what they'd make of that. It wouln't be good....
The Sock

#136378 - 06/17/08 10:45 AM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: TheSock]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
Good points... This thread has certainly taken the concept of survival to the next step. It really IS just getting along... Be it with other people or with nature (knowing how nature can hurt/help you).

Seems we phase shifted into the correct forum now!

#136380 - 06/17/08 11:30 AM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Mike_H]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Yeah it is a thread that makes you think:
Going back in time is what we are experiencing every time we are cut off from civilizations benefits. We are living the way people had to one time.
Visiting more religious countries is stepping back to the past in that area. Disrespecting a cross then, would get the same reaction disrespecting the koran would in some places now.
Visiting a non-democracy is stepping back to our countries before democracy.
The Sock

#136418 - 06/17/08 02:02 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...signing on as navigator might be a good move..."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in 1000AD didn't they still think that the world was flat? That being the case, I suspect that you would have a hard time getting anyone to follow your directions. Thar be dragons ye know...

Some people may have thought so into the 16th Century, but the idea that the Earth is round has been around for a lot longer. Claudius Ptolemaeus, better known as Ptolemy, was working with projecting the spherical surface of the Earth onto flat maps, and he lived 100 - 178 A.D.

As a strategy, Once you get a bit of language skills, one make out getting to a location that would be friendly to a stranded or lost seafarer. Pass yourself off as someone who was lost at sea, either overboard or through a sinking.

#136502 - 06/17/08 10:59 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Dan_McI]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: Dan_McI
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...signing on as navigator might be a good move..."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in 1000AD didn't they still think that the world was flat? That being the case, I suspect that you would have a hard time getting anyone to follow your directions. Thar be dragons ye know...

Some people may have thought so into the 16th Century, but the idea that the Earth is round has been around for a lot longer. Claudius Ptolemaeus, better known as Ptolemy, was working with projecting the spherical surface of the Earth onto flat maps, and he lived 100 - 178 A.D.

And if I recall correctly, an ancient Greek by the name of Eratosthenes measured the circumference of the Earth over 100 years BCE, getting a figure within a couple of percent of the true figure. The Greeks knew the earth was a sphere for several reasons, including the fact that ships sailing away from any point on the ocean (e.g. a stationary ship) seemed to 'sink' below the horizon at the same distance, (but did not sink). The only geometric shape for which this is true is a sphere. Also, the shape of the earth's shadow on the moon in an eclipse is a circle; a sphere casts a circle as a shadow. (Thanks to my high school science teacher, many many many years ago)

#136515 - 06/18/08 01:59 AM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
sodak Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
The topic was moved to the Campfire Forum-in theory. It popped up in the photo gallery. I haven't had time to bother Doug about it. And as a postscript on the whimsy of measure and location, the Eastern Orthodox church has very good reasons for maintaining the old LITURGICAL calender. The change by a Pope for economic and political reasons may be explained through Easter, or Paska. By tradition it is held after a very real celestial event rich in symbolism of the SUN's death and rebirth and the SON's resurrection.It also cannot be observed until after Passover.The salvation of 'the Lamb of God' to eastern orthodoxy is the second fullfilment of God's promise to the enslaved jews of Egypt.You don't observe or show respect to one event by obliterating it's predecessor in the liturgical year-- unless temporal considerations of one Pope come into play. There are many religious calenders; jewish, japanese,islam etc. But don't worry! ETS is calibrated by Arizona time.

Suffice it to say, your interpretation leaves much to be desired. But your scorn for the Pope is noted, just not appreciated.

#136570 - 06/18/08 01:20 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: sodak]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: sodak
Suffice it to say, your interpretation leaves much to be desired. But your scorn for the Pope is noted, just not appreciated.

Ditto.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#136608 - 06/18/08 04:59 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: thseng]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Now now... Let's leave any religious discussion, outside of survial situation, out of this... ;-)

Who would have ever thought that this thread would continue as long as it did... Esp. after delving into the space/time continuum and bouncing around a couple of forums.

#136611 - 06/18/08 05:19 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: Mike_H]
TheSock Offline
Addict

And there we hit a snag. Not mentioning religion in a thread devoted to living in 1000 AD europe, would be like saying: 'you are visiting 2008 Iraq? Oh don't bother what you say about which branch of Islam is the true one. No one will mind'.
Personally I couldnt even understand Chris's post never mind object to it.
The Sock

#136615 - 06/18/08 05:42 PM Re: Survival Scenario: 1000 AD Western Europe [Re: TheSock]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

LOL!

I think Chris was just commenting on the aspects on how religion was pretty much used as a political tool...

Page 13 of 14 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.