The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#135180 - 06/08/08 09:13 PM survival manners
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Is civility a positive survival behavior or an impediment to survival? Civility helps preserve the social order. Ignoring incivility (road rage perhaps) may encourage incivility but may also prevent incivility escalating to physical violence. Thoughts?

#135184 - 06/08/08 09:38 PM Re: survival manners [Re: nursemike]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I think I remember Heinlein writing something to the effect that formal politeness was the "grease" on the wheels of society, protecting the parts from rubbing together and creating friction. Politeness seems, IMO, to be dying. I deal every day with people who think that the rules don't apply to them, and by yelling at me, making threats and by trying to intimidate me that I will break the rules for them. I don't respond well to threats or intimidation.

When I say "Thank you" to someone, I rarely get any response, much the less a "your welcome" or "thank you" in return. My Mom taught us that "please" and "thank you" were "magic words." I think she was right.

I guess I would say that yes, politeness and respect to other people is good for your survival. I feel fairly certain that my being polite and respectful to some less than savory characters I have run into on the street in NYC, DC and overseas, has helped defuse a potentially unpleasant situation. But I seem to be in a minority in trying to be polite.

#135185 - 06/08/08 09:52 PM Re: survival manners [Re: bws48]
SHawk Offline
Stranger

Loc: Central Washington
My Mother taught me that it didn't cost anything to be polite.

#135187 - 06/08/08 10:25 PM Re: survival manners [Re: SHawk]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Heinlein also wrote "an armed society is a polite society, because you will have to defend your manners with your life". Makes the case for a universal concealed weapon requirement. There seems to be an occasional element in the discussions that suggests that courtesy, empathy, kindness are perceived as signs of weakness. Rather they are signs of strength, of being sufficiently secure in your powers and your self to not constantly be offensive or defensive.

#135189 - 06/08/08 11:01 PM Re: survival manners [Re: nursemike]
BlueSky Offline

Loc: DFW TX
It would seem to me that manners would correlate positively with survival. Manners have many sources, among which are a mutual sense of respect and an awareness of our interconnectedness. People who lack that respect will isolate themselves from others on whom they depend for the necessities of life.

There may well be exceptions to this in the short term, but as far as long-term survival goes, people who do not respect the need to work with others in a positive way will bet a serious disadvantage.

#135198 - 06/09/08 01:00 AM Re: survival manners [Re: nursemike]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Our first grandsons first word was "please." (His second was Caca, but we won't to there). But he is now nine, and lives in Central CA, where we have unfortunately been hanging out for the last three weeks or so, and he doesn't say that very often anymore. We have been in enough stores here, putting up with the purely crappy attitude of the locals, that I have considered going postal many times (I used to think that cops, and retired cops, should be allowed one free kill a year, no questions asked). In the last few years we have been in other states where this does not seem to be the prevalent attitude, so we have to believe that behavior is dependent upon location...

#135205 - 06/09/08 01:46 AM Re: survival manners [Re: OldBaldGuy]
HerbG Offline

Without a modicum of civility in society, I'm not sure what the point of surviving is.

#135207 - 06/09/08 02:01 AM Re: survival manners [Re: HerbG]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: HerbG
Without a modicum of civility in society, I'm not sure what the point of surviving is.

Everyone has a point where they draw the line.

Jeanette Isabelle

#135211 - 06/09/08 02:11 AM Re: survival manners [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Everyone has a point where they draw the line..."

Then they go postal. Or move...

#135217 - 06/09/08 02:41 AM Re: survival manners [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I have noticed that those who seem to focus the most on the barely restrained capability and barely concealed desire to inflicting violence, often justified as being tough and 'realistic' are also seemingly the rudest, most aggressively opinionated and self-righteous group of people on the planet. They are also some of the most self-defeating people I know.

If you think the people around you are rude, impolite and inconsiderate you might take the time to find out how they perceive your attitude. You might be seeing your own attitude being thrown back at you. A smile and a kind word can often change how people see you and often will change how people treat you. Word gets out and entire communities can become much more friendly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 644 Guests and 165 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.