Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#1348 - 08/20/01 06:58 PM Approach to purchase of AR-15
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
Understanding that this is not a survivalist site and owing to the fact that many regulars to this site are in the know, I'm looking to purchase an AR-15 rifle or equivalent and I'm trying to educate myself as to the whats, wheres, whys and hows. I am fed up with the several Ruger ranch rifles and mini-14's that I have owned due to lack of accuracy, poor fit, and general AR-15 envy. Could any of you point me in the right direction as far as how much I would have to spend to do it right; buying new or used, preban/post ban etc... Use would be for fun, tinkering and "hobbying"( later customizing/ mods.), pest control, and, well, the obvious. I desire "minute of groundhog" accuracy to about 150 yards (I have other solutions out to 400+!). Thanks in advance, Andy.<br><br>

#1349 - 08/21/01 12:18 AM Re: Approach to purchase of AR-15
cliff Offline
Sultan of Spiffy
Enthusiast

Loc: Louisiana
Andy:<br><br>You're right - this is not a survivalist site. Try www.sturmgewehr.com or www.plainsmanscabin.com, you'll get a better response. <br><br>With that, I'll give you this piece of advice: a Buick Skylark is transportation; a Porshe 911 is an experience. Try www.steyr-aug.com, and drive a Proshe like me.<br><br> .....CLIFF<br><br>

#1350 - 08/21/01 04:06 AM Re: Approach to purchase of AR-15
AndyO Offline

I apologize if I mis-interpreted the reply to my post. I was simply asking about information for purchasing a civilian sporting rifle. I have been posting to this site for several years and I have always tried to obey the rules and answer questions in a direct, relevant, helpful, and friendly manner. I happen to know that several regulars to this site could give me valuable advice on the topic for which I inquired. As this is not a "survivalist" site, I have also never interpreted that to mean that it is a "no firearm" site. Again, I ask if someone would have useful information concerning the topic for which I inquired. Thanks in advance, AndyO.<br><br>

#1351 - 08/21/01 06:10 AM Re: Approach to purchase of AR-15
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Andy, I am not familiar with the current regs in Georgia covering "assault rifles." You have 3 families of AR-15s to look at: early models that paralled the M-16s of Vietnam fame, and post war and pre/post ban second generation models. Both of these are of Colt manufacture. There are also many custom variations that were built up as target rifles by smaller firms. Later models have a heavier barrel and reflect the contemporary ballistics ( greater range) of contemporary Military issue ammunition. the post ban modifications are not that horrendous to the basic platform. An M-16 bayonet is about as usefull as a ceremonial gorget on an officer. You need to do some serious research, both on the social climate and laws in your home state regarding this weapon, and what is available on the market. Ammunition choice can be a critical factor here,both for function and survival use. A FMJ only platform will be pretty useless as a game weapon in a survival situation. There are some models that are very incompatable with most commercial loadings. This firearm can be a viable survival sidearm. the Af survival rifles in .22 hornet were a small influence on it's adoption. For a small statured or injured user it's weight and recoil are advantages. <br><br>

#1352 - 08/21/01 04:03 PM Re: Approach to purchase of AR-15
peanut Offline
Journeyman

methinks thou are an elitist. How's the business?<br><br>a prodigal scout, just trying to be prepared.

#1353 - 08/21/01 11:35 PM Re: Approach to purchase of AR-15
cliff Offline
Sultan of Spiffy
Enthusiast

Loc: Louisiana
Andy:<br>It is I who should apologize. My wording was very poor. No insult intended.<br><br>I was trying to say you might find a better response on the other sites I mentioned - not because this is a 'no firearms' site or your question is out of bounds, but because they have more people who know could answer you.<br><br>I have owned an AR-15, and fired the M16A2 in the reserves. It is a very good rifle, accurate on the range, and reliable when cleaned regularly. The Colt 'A2', or 'HBAR-T' models were the best civilian variants as far as I am concerned. Stay away from the "Rambo-ized" models out there, and Chris is right - the bayonet/lug is useless. Having said that - I am still totally, and proudly, biased toward the Steyr when it comes to sport shooting.<br><br> .....CLIFF<br><br><br>

#1354 - 08/22/01 12:57 AM Re: Approach to purchase of AR-15
Anonymous
Unregistered

May I suggest a 1 in 9" rifling twist. This would be adequate for 55 grain to the 62 grain steel core bullets. <br>This will work with all of the bulk surplus ammo. <br><br>

#1355 - 08/22/01 01:08 AM Re: Approach to purchase of AR-15
AndyO Offline

I too. I spend time at other sites that are not so cordial so I was a little jumpy myself. Friends. Andy<br><br>

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 256 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.