The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#134762 - 06/04/08 07:54 PM Re: Setting up for the vagabond life [Re: dweste]
cajun_kw Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Southern California
I would think, purposely moving to different areas would make it the most difficult to stay connected with your mail.
And since about the only thing you'd need mail for would be bills, then possibly by using an "on-line bank" you could eliminate the need for regular mail. I believe you can arrange to have most of your cummincations in that vein connect with you via the internet and e-mail...which you can get a hotmail or yahoo e-mail account.
Of course, then you'd need ot be diligent and get access to the internet on a regular basis. But pretty much all other things (magazines etc you'd have to just pick up at the store ...though some publications do have a way to subscribe on-line.
In my mind, clearly, planning ahead would be most beneficial as would educating yourself on how to maintain your connectino to the 'net in whatever area(s) you might chose to travel too.
Truck Stops are an obvious location (showers, food, internet etc) but the farther off the beaten path you are the less viable that option would become.
Should you go this way ...the vagabond route ... it would be interesting to follow your adventures and hear about the challenges.
Good Luck.

#134834 - 06/05/08 08:49 AM Re: Setting up for the vagabond life [Re: cajun_kw]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
My new UPS Store mail address includes forwarding services, etc. My bank accounts already include online access and bill paying. Most of my recurring bills allow online payment either directly through their site or through the bank online, or offer pay by phone by debit / credit card.

I have yet to check out the truck stop options; I heard some membership options are available to save a few bucks.

Right now I am considering a strategy of day use at inexpensive parks [restrooms, showers, topping off water, and rv-style dump stations], plus free rest areas [restrooms, showers, topping off water, sleeping], plus boondocking [free dry camping, sleeping], plus night-shift jobs [legit parking at night with in-vehicle sleeping during the day which is apparently less-hassled].

I am resurrecting my old laptop for on-the-road use, but I fear it may need to be replaced.

#134840 - 06/05/08 12:03 PM Re: Setting up for the vagabond life [Re: dweste]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
plus night-shift jobs [legit parking at night with in-vehicle sleeping during the day which is apparently less-hassled]

D'oh! What a great idea!

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#134911 - 06/06/08 02:04 AM Re: Setting up for the vagabond life [Re: Blast]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Maybe it's a little 'low end' for you, but if you get desperate for some cash...

In most cities there is an area on a main drag where people hang out as 'day labor'. I'm sure it's all under the table income. You just wait with the group of others and watch the vehicles.

If a truck/car slows, watch it closely. The 'language' used to be that the truck driver would wave a $20 bill and hold up the number of fingers of guys (usually) he wants. Then he leans across the seat to the open window and yells what the job is, and what it pays. I think most of it is manual labor: cleaning weeds off a vacant lot, chopping up a fallen tree, etc. Sometimes he will point at specific guys, probably because he's used them before and they did a good job.

In this as in all things, PAY ATTENTION. If you get a bad feeling about the guy or the job, just smile and back out, citing a bad leg, bad back, etc.

Sue

#134913 - 06/06/08 02:10 AM Re: Setting up for the vagabond life [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I quit stopping for those "labor" guys long ago. Stopped for several, only to learn that they were shocked to think that you actually wanted them to work. What they wanted was a handout, which apparently lots of folks are willing to give. I really have a hard time with those sitting there holding up their scrawled "I'm a Vet" signs. I'm a vet, as is my wife. If we were down on our luck, there are organizations established for the specific purpose of helping vets...

#134918 - 06/06/08 02:31 AM Re: Setting up for the vagabond life [Re: OldBaldGuy]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
My brother just got a Teardrop trailer for traveling around the country. Its light and easily towed by almost all autos. It allows him to boondock easily and with a lower profile then a bigger trailer. He has one made by Little Guy (http://www.golittleguy.com/ )

It was several thousand dollars, but there are several web sites that go through step by step on how to build one for as little as $1300.00

Here is a site that goes through a build of one, it has lots of pictures of every step and he does a good job of explaining the build.

http://www.nfdc.net/home/cbdb/Teardrop%20Trailer.htm

Also here is a web site devoted to teardrop trailers.

http://www.tearjerkers.net/

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#134939 - 06/06/08 11:31 AM Re: Setting up for the vagabond life [Re: BobS]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
I was looking into a small, easy to set up trailer a few years back and found these: http://www.chaletrv.com/

Apparently they increased their product line, but if you look for the pop up trailers (hard sided, tipi style). What I like about them, is that they are insulated (may or may not be important) and you can have enough room in them to live. Then in 30 seconds you can move if necessary.

#135057 - 06/07/08 02:31 AM Re: Setting up for the vagabond life [Re: Kris]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas

#135061 - 06/07/08 02:53 AM Re: Setting up for the vagabond life [Re: jshannon]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
That's a great site!!!

#135071 - 06/07/08 05:26 AM Re: Setting up for the vagabond life [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
OBG, I'm not sure we're talking about the same people. I don't mean the guys at the bottom of the offramps with the cardboard signs (I don't think any of them mention 'work' anymore).

The group I mean tend to be in the inner city, in a specific spot. In Las Vegas, they were down the street from the Rescue Mission, about 20 guys. In Seattle, there are more, and they're out there at before dawn. They are willing to work. How well they do it, I don't know.

Just an idea.

Sue

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 269 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.