Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#133784 - 05/27/08 07:43 AM Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Stokie Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Until I took a new job my work was only 2km from my home so I often cycled or walked. Now I'm 27km away, too far for me to bike and the way the French drive damn near suicidal on a scooter.

The transport system is very good, it's just the people and how many use it that put me off taking it regularly. We've all seen video's of Japans transport system were people are employed to squeeze, push and crush passengers on to the trains in rush hour, well Paris ain't far behind and summertime is just murder. I'll take my car thanks.

Edited by Stokie (05/27/08 07:44 AM)

#133803 - 05/27/08 01:59 PM Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? [Re: TeacherRO]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Because of that I decide to go by bicycle several years ago. I have an office job that mainly consists of pushing around a mouse. I use it in almost every weather (streets covered with snow and ice are the only exception). I felt much better after a really short time and I get a parking space real quick and close to the office. On the downside I donīt get the annual sick leave for the usual bad cold. So far Iīm willing to cope with that. Those who get it donīt seem to enjoy the days off anyway.

#133854 - 05/27/08 10:40 PM Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? [Re: ]
RogerC Offline
Stranger

Loc: Colorado
While I don't know your area, it is an unfortunate reality that public transportation systems are generally not viable in the United States. Many look at Europe as a great example of how to make public trans work. Most however do not realize:
1. Europe has over twice the population density of the United States.
2. European governments heavily subsidize public transportation systems through high taxes personal taxes and then encourage the use of the public systems by lower fares (that are lowered because you have already been forced to subsidize the systems).
3. European governments discourage personal transportation use through high taxes on gasoline.

So you want a good public transportation system? Then ask for and elect a government that will take your money, put it into the public system, and then further tax you to encourage you to use it.

As for the bike/scooter question, my commute is along 4 lane byways that I would not feel safe using either to travel along.

Roger

#133862 - 05/28/08 12:12 AM Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? [Re: picard120]
bat69 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Fl, USA
I've considered it, but my commute to work is 17 miles each way. And over half of that is on a Miami Expressway called the "palmetto" which tranlates into: Very Scary Road Where People Die. (or VSRWPD for short)

And When I crunched the numbers it just didn't add up. I would wind up spending at least 5k on a "scooter" that could keep me at interstate speed, add in the insurance cost and I would be better off just driving the ol' jeep every day ( and it's paid for )

#133872 - 05/28/08 01:34 AM Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? [Re: bat69]
ChristinaRodriguez Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Rhode Island
God, I want a Vespa like you wouldn't believe. I don't "need" one of course, since I work from home, live within walking distance to just about everything I need, and the winters here in MN would render it useless for nearly half the year. But every summer when I hear the buzzing swarm of other people's scooters, or when I see my neighbors take theirs out of storage, I just want one even more.

#133874 - 05/28/08 02:00 AM Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? [Re: ChristinaRodriguez]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Christina
God, I want a Vespa like you wouldn't believe. I don't "need" one of course, since I work from home, live within walking distance to just about everything I need, and the winters here in MN would render it useless for nearly half the year. But every summer when I hear the buzzing swarm of other people's scooters, or when I see my neighbors take theirs out of storage, I just want one even more.

I glanced at your art blog and I must say I am impressed. As for the scooter, if you can afford it, why not?

Jeanette Isabelle

#133902 - 05/28/08 02:26 PM Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? [Re: picard120]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
Yep,

DW and I sold our car and we do all our commuting, grocery shopping and traveling by bike, rail or bus now. I will be renting a car this weekend to go see family but the rental rates are cheap. $13.50/day for 3 days is lot better than my car payment was. Especially when we only use a car about one weekend every 5 weeks for visiting. Anticipating my travels this weekend I winced when I saw the price of gas on my bike this morning. Gasoline at $4.18/gallon and Diesel at $5.09/gallon.

At least the price of crude dropped yesterday wink.

Cheers,

#133905 - 05/28/08 02:31 PM Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? [Re: ChristinaRodriguez]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
God, I want a Vespa like you wouldn't believe.

I'm suddenly picturing you as Audrey Hepburn in "Roman Holiday". What a great movie.

Sidenote: if you do decide to get one PLEASE take a motorcycle riders safety class and always wear a helmet (there are some really attractive helmet available nowdays).

Sidenote #2: Check out here for some AMAZING customized scooters. They are incredible, though I still think a classic Vespa would suit you the best.

-Blast

Edited by Blast (05/28/08 02:33 PM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#133908 - 05/28/08 02:47 PM Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? [Re: Blast]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Instead of a Vespa, you might think about a Stella. A Stella really is a Vespa with a few modifications. I think it's made in India. A comparision of their specs: http://www.provoscooter.com/px150/stellavspx.htm

More info: http://www.genuinescooters.com/scooters/stella/stella.html

#133922 - 05/28/08 04:22 PM Re: commute by bicycle or motor scooter? [Re: Dan_McI]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Long ago and far away before dotcom bust and offshored manufacturing I rode a 350cc motorcycle the 4 miles each way to work from April thru October. 75 mpg for 17 years.

Now I drive another 47 miles past that place to go to my new career. The route is vastly unsuited for motorcycle or scooter travel.

Oh well.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 332 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.