The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#133714 - 05/25/08 10:09 PM Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" [Re: Roarmeister]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I have a wire saw made from carbide that looks just like that one.
It is made to be used on a hacksaw frame. I have used it to cut
through chain when fixing tire chains and also to cut through a padlock. It is made for metal work, not wood. If you ever find yourself on the wrong side of a locked forest service gate in
an emergency, it would easily cut through the chains.

#133715 - 05/26/08 01:19 AM Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" [Re: Rodion]
11BINF Offline

Loc: phx. az. u.s.a
i think someone had a surplus of those (hollow handle) "survival knife" kits...because thats what they are...and as long as the items are made well it should be o.k as some type of stand alone kit...as for wire saws they are what they are a survival saw..me i like the quality British made ones and it will last a little longer than the asian/china made items..vince g. 11b inf..

#133721 - 05/26/08 06:54 AM Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" [Re: Rodion]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Rodion

Wire saw, hooks, fishing string, matches, sewing needles.

I got this for 5 bucks from an eBay distributor when shopping for Storm matches (great seller BTW, can provide a link if anyone's interested) and from the contents, wasn't impressed. However, what I didn't realize was just how tiny the container was. Here it is with a pen for scale:

It seems like a reasonably comprehensive EDC add-on. Because it's so small and relatively lightweight, I'm actually considering putting one into my BoB as well. Does anybody have experience with these?

Your absolutely right, it's a very basic kit. All the components are usable except the saw. Personally I don't bother much with wire saw's. Especially as anyone with half a brain has a SAK/Leatherman/Gerber et al with a saw on them. Having said that: I have them in my kits as an option for sawing through something that I cannot get at with a conventional saw. You just have to understand that they are vunerable to kinking and gets trapped. Which is when they snap. Just respect their limitations.

If anyone is interested, there is a much better kit based around a G.I. Match case. It has 3 decent (Now that was a surprise!) matches, a striker board and one hook with a reasonable amount of line. There is also a small "signal" mirror in the cap. Being intrigued I ordered two of them. Its childs play to add:
2 x Tinder-Quick.
1 x Button compass of the type used in Doug's P.S.K.
1 x MP1 tablet.

It's not much but it's all you need for an 1-2 day situation.

#133723 - 05/26/08 01:10 PM Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Everyone has their own ideas about kits and gear in general -- what works (for them), what doesn't work (for them), the best way to carry (again, for them). It's rare to find a one size fits all kit.

I started out with a "store bought" Ritter PSP years ago and then started adding an deleting. I ended up deleting the container and carrying what I need/use distributed on my person.

I still have an unaltered PSP in the bottom of my EDC backpack, but I don't see myself ever using it. It was designed small enough to carry in your pocket, but the other EDC gear that I use every day covers pocket carry, so the PSP gets carried as an emergency kit for somebody else. In a real emergency I'd use my EDC gear.

From what I've seen, most wilderness survival experiences start with getting lost. It's easy to do if you don't pay attention. Before I reached for the PSP, I'd reach for my GPS and compass.

#133728 - 05/26/08 02:55 PM Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" [Re: Russ]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Russ
Everyone has their own ideas about kits and gear in general -- what works (for them), what doesn't work (for them), the best way to carry (again, for them). It's rare to find a one size fits all kit.

I don't believe in one-size fits all. A person needs the tools which works best for them, for the environment they will be in. Recent circumstances has caused me to rethink what I carry and has taken me somewhat further off the path Doug Ritter laid out. Granted, I am considering some of his ideas I have not implemented before such as a Fox 40 and a Photon Freedom Micro. Is what I have on my person, at this moment, the best gear I need for an urban environment? No, it's not. I came back to this forum because I have to rethink what I use in an urban environment.

Jeanette Isabelle

#133732 - 05/26/08 03:45 PM Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Jeanette,

Thank you for trusting us here at The Forum to help you in working out what your individual situation. Remember that DR's primary focus, as I see it ( I do not imply that I speak for him), came from his experience as a private pilot. We here in The Forum just take off in all directions when a topic is brought up. Great ideas and information result from these widely scattered discussions. However, you are correct in viewing the overarching principle of preparedness as an "any environment/location" issue. We look forward to hearing more from you and helping you how ever we can.

Just for giggles, take a look at my EDC in the Photo Gallery. I used what I currently owned (minus the tube) and made it up. Is it for everyone? Nope. Does it work for now? Yup. Will cause someone else to think differently about how to package and carry their EDC? Hopefully.

Edited by MoBOB (05/26/08 03:49 PM)
Edit Reason: Added paragraph

#133772 - 05/27/08 03:54 AM Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" [Re: MoBOB]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Thank-you. Before I joined the forum nearly two years ago I sent Doug Ritter an E-mail asking him why a knife is the universal tool. I told him I live in a major metropolitan area and my tool of choice is a pair of EMT shears. Rather than answering the question himself, he posed that question to the forum to get their feedback. It was after posing the question that I joined. For almost every possibility posed to me, a pair of EMT shears could do the same job, just differently. There were a few exceptions such as EMT shears cannot be used for fishing. I don't fish. I live in the fourth largest metropolitan area in the United States, I don't fly and I don't go backpacking, camping, hunting or get involved in water sports. I did try out a Victorinox Swiss Army Classic SD for a while. It did not work for me so I gave it away. I still use EMT shears. I have two, in fact, and I even have one in my pocket as I type this message.

Today I did a lot of reading on urban survival, bought a Fox 40 and completely modified my AMK Pocket Medic. One of the things I did to it was add a role of 1/2" medical tape. Except for the tinniest of first aid kits, every kit should have a roll of tape in my humble opinion. I still have my Mag-Lite and plan to hold on to it; I plan to replace it with a Photon Freedom Micro as part of my EDC.

Jeanette Isabelle

#133778 - 05/27/08 04:43 AM Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
There is no doubt that EMT type scissors are handy as can be. I have several of them, and have just about stripped accident victims naked with them. They can cut all kinds of stuff, a former co-worker once managed to cut thru control cables on a light aircraft (VERY tough stuff) with his to extricate the injured pilot. Only thing that comes to mind you can't do well with them is clean your fingernails and make fuzz sticks (or other wood "whittling" kind of stuff. But I still carry my Leatherman on me all the time, while I leave the shears in my larger FAK...

#133794 - 05/27/08 11:33 AM Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
Thank-you. Before I joined the forum nearly two years ago I sent Doug Ritter an E-mail asking him why a knife is the universal tool. I told him I live in a major metropolitan area and my tool of choice is a pair of EMT shears. Rather than answering the question himself, he posed that question to the forum to get their feedback. It was after posing the question that I joined. For almost every possibility posed to me, a pair of EMT shears could do the same job, just differently. There were a few exceptions such as EMT shears cannot be used for fishing. I don't fish. I live in the fourth largest metropolitan area in the United States, I don't fly and I don't go backpacking, camping, hunting or get involved in water sports. I did try out a Victorinox Swiss Army Classic SD for a while. It did not work for me so I gave it away. I still use EMT shears. I have two, in fact, and I even have one in my pocket as I type this message.

Today I did a lot of reading on urban survival, bought a Fox 40 and completely modified my AMK Pocket Medic. One of the things I did to it was add a role of 1/2" medical tape. Except for the tinniest of first aid kits, every kit should have a roll of tape in my humble opinion. I still have my Mag-Lite and plan to hold on to it; I plan to replace it with a Photon Freedom Micro as part of my EDC.

Jeanette Isabelle

IMNO (in my n00b opinion), swapping a Maglite out of your EDC is a mistake, unless you replace it with something else that's long, hard and scary.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#133817 - 05/27/08 04:06 PM Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Mike_H Offline
Addict

Loc: SE PA
The saw is pretty worthless. They tend to break quickly once uncoiled. The matches are also not very good. This is almost the exact contents of a survival knife my dad bought me over 20 years ago. At least he was getting me thinking along the correct lines to carry some survival gear.

I'm not even sure what lb test the line is in that kit. Echoing what everyone else has said, I would put in a SparkLite, some tinder, better line, maybe a button compass if it fits. If you are going to EDC something, at least make it usefull equipment.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 546 Guests and 104 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.