Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#133642 - 05/24/08 07:03 PM Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" [Re: JCWohlschlag]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

I'd ditch the wire saw, the V-hooks, and the matches, then replace them with a SparkLite and some tinder if I could fit it in there. Not bad of a find there!

#133649 - 05/24/08 09:01 PM Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If you like the tube format, you might want to look at the Tube Vault as a container and make your own.

#133651 - 05/24/08 09:13 PM Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" [Re: ]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
I really......really F****** hate those stupid God****** piece of trash USELESS wire saws. mad mad mad mad Use the space in the tube for something that may actually help you in a bad spot and it may not be a bad little kit for its size and cost.

I would never take a small kit like this in the woods by itself but as a supplement for something larger it may have its use for some people. I would prefer to use an orange Coghlan's match vial and fill it with better matches and stuff.

#133652 - 05/24/08 09:32 PM Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" [Re: Taurus]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Here is a post about wire saws, in general.

I should clarify: this is by no means my PSK and it is indeed meant to supplement, not replace. In fact, I already have an orange match vial filled with better matches, except it also happens to have a compass, whistle, etc. wink

My BoB has an Ultimate Survival Sabercut chain saw which I love and treasure, and which was used to make the cut in the photo shown previously.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#133654 - 05/24/08 09:56 PM Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" [Re: Rodion]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I know those tube vaults must be pretty robust, but wouldn't a few paintball tubes do just as good? Don't screw down, but I've never had one "pop" open on me. And I used to get pretty crazy: crawling through brush, waist deep in water (from pastures, so you can guess what the cows were adding to the mix), bouncine off stuff (wore a cup, so I was damn near fearless).

Anway, at 99cents it probably doesn't matter much, but just another option.

They're also good for chilling wasps so you can measure and mark them...

#133665 - 05/24/08 11:55 PM Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" [Re: Taurus]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
I really......really F****** hate those stupid God****** piece of trash USELESS wire saws.

The only one I've seen that looked like it would stand any effective use was from the BSA in the late 70's/early 80's. It was single strand wire with teeth formed from the wire. The gauge was heavy enough that it had to be rolled & the teeth were aggressive to the point that you kept the plastic bag it came in to store it & even then it poked through. Does anyone know what their current model is like? All the rest have seemed like they would work slowly (if at all) and were likely to break if you looked at them wrong.

#133666 - 05/25/08 12:19 AM Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" [Re: UTAlumnus]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
The only one I've seen that looked like it would stand any effective use was from the BSA in the late 70's/early 80's. It was single strand wire with teeth formed from the wire. The gauge was heavy enough that it had to be rolled & the teeth were aggressive to the point that you kept the plastic bag it came in to store it & even then it poked through.

I remember having one of those. The teeth were indeed pretty wicked, and would quickly destroy whatever container it was stored in, and then start tearing up whatever it was packed next to.

Jim

#133672 - 05/25/08 02:31 AM Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" [Re: Rodion]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
You have one of one of those little five in one things?

*shakes head*

They don't do any of the five very well in my experince. What they do really well is break, and leak. Better to get a few items that do their job than one item that tries and fails to replace them.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#133686 - 05/25/08 05:07 AM Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" [Re: ironraven]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Hey! It's a match holder. Give it a break.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#133702 - 05/25/08 04:56 PM Re: Highlander Survival "Kit" [Re: MDinana]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Those tube "vaults" (found elsewhere on that web site) are simply PET preforms. They are later reheated and blown to shape to create 2-litre pop bottles for Coke/Pepsi. It seems strange how indestructible they are when small but so fragile when expanded!

I've got a few at home that I use for geocaching and to hold odds and sodds like magnets, screws, etc. I never really thought too much about them as far as storing liquids in them but really thats what they intended for!

A buck a tube is a bit expensive, you should be able to find them at about 1/2 that price if you look hard enough.

I bookmarked that site as they have some novel and useful items - only problem is that they don't ship to Canada because they use only UPS as their carrier. UPS |between| borders is the absolute worst way of sending any type of package.

Edited by Roarmeister (05/25/08 05:00 PM)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 518 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.