Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#205843 - 08/10/10 05:00 PM Re: Antibiotics shelf life?? [Re: falcon5000]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: falcon5000
Do I need to get a doctor to write me a little love note that allows me to stockpile a 90 day supply or am I stuck on a controlled system that I need to find other means...

Falcon, I think these older threads will give you some ideas. Try this , this, and this.

Considering how many of us rely on one or more prescription meds long term, I think this is an important topic and we've had some good discussion about it in the past.

#205849 - 08/10/10 08:26 PM Re: Antibiotics shelf life?? [Re: Arney]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Thank you for the links Arney, I wasn't aware of the 80% rule, now it gives me some ideas what needs to be done. Thanks again.

#205852 - 08/10/10 09:09 PM Re: Antibiotics shelf life?? [Re: falcon5000]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I would advocate that people avoid carrying any antibiotics. Most of them are at least mildly toxic and allergies are not uncommon. Selection of the right antibiotic for a condition is not a simple choice and dosing is problematic.

Most people who carry them have no idea what the right dose is, and given the right dose most of them don't carry enough to complete a proper course of treatment. Half a dose or half the proper time is a grand way to make sure any infection becomes resistant to the antibiotic you half-use.

A stock of antibiotics can make sense if you are spending a long time in a very remote location. They can save the day if you're 500 miles and two weeks from anywhere. But 99% of the people don't qualify and are not far enough out long enough for antibiotics to be any benefit.

Given that a PSK is going to be limited to a short-time, typically two to five days, but always less than ten days, there is no need for antibiotics.

#205988 - 08/12/10 06:11 PM Re: Antibiotics shelf life?? [Re: Art_in_FL]
DannyL Offline

Loc: SE Alaska
Count me in with the "do not carry" group, with the exception of a dozen single use packs of neosporin in my FAK.

#206006 - 08/12/10 07:51 PM Re: Antibiotics shelf life?? [Re: Vader]
TimDex Offline
Journeyman

Loc: New York State
Antibiotics may be potent years beyond the expiration date. I worked in the drug industry and a vp of quality control was in the office next to me. He told me one day that expiration dates on drug bottles had nothing to do with when the medicine was no longer potent. All the FDA wanted to know was the medicine was effective up to that date. What drug companies wanted to do was push the product through the system and a long effective date was contrary to that desire. (Tetracycline may be one exception and an antibiotic that should not be taken after the expiration date.) For what it's worth here's one link to a Wall St Journal story:

http://www.endtimesreport.com/Prescription_longevity.html

Tim W.

#206016 - 08/12/10 11:10 PM Re: Antibiotics shelf life?? [Re: TimDex]
marduk Offline

Loc: Mid-Missouri
Most drugs, including MOST antibiotics remain effective past their expiration date. There is a potiential loss of potency depending on storage conditions ( especially temp and possibly humidity{depending on packaging}) as well as the passage of time. HOWEVER TETRACYLINE clearly develops toxicity when used past expiration.

#206035 - 08/13/10 02:36 AM Re: Antibiotics shelf life?? [Re: marduk]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: marduk
Most drugs, including MOST antibiotics remain effective past their expiration date. There is a potiential loss of potency depending on storage conditions ( especially temp and possibly humidity{depending on packaging}) as well as the passage of time. HOWEVER TETRACYLINE clearly develops toxicity when used past expiration.

+1. When tetracycline expires, throw it out! Modern (aka post 1980) manufacturing makes that family of antibiotics generally safe past the expiration date, but don't risk it with that one.

#206088 - 08/13/10 05:40 PM Re: Antibiotics shelf life?? [Re: Art_in_FL]
red Offline

Art, you said it better than I could.

Big ditto!

Even us allied health care professionals can get in trouble when we think we know as much as the doctor does.

I've been shocked at finding out that a few pharmacists self-treat with rx meds without a physician's prescription because they "know as much as he/she does." Not only is that ill-advised, it's also illegal.

One thing the practice of pharmacy has taught me is to respect medications. They are not candy, folks. Let the prescriber be the one to make the judgment call. (That's what he/she pays those exorbitant malpractice fees for!)

#206091 - 08/13/10 05:47 PM Re: Antibiotics shelf life?? [Re: red]
red Offline

Originally Posted By: red

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
As for how they should be destroyed or thrown out...is being debated. You might recall recently the E.P.A. did a test of major public water systems and found of all things strong trace levels of antibiotics.

Strong trace...? Unless one believes in homeopathy...then the less there is of a substance, the more powerful it is. Back in the real world... The term "trace" indicates minuscule amounts. The amounts in that latest EPA scare were exactly that, trace. The main thing the EPA was concerned about was the fish being altered by the presence of some of the compounds. Fish (and amphibians!) are far more sensitive to things in the water than us mammals. The EPA went out of their way to emphasize that this does not represent a danger to humans. Funny how that didn't make it to the headline...

Current recommendations are still to flush them down the toilet.

Boy, nothing like correcting yourself. Current recommendations are NOT to flush your meds, but to take them to those aforementioned kiosks. Ask your pharmacist where to find them. In our state, we have some at police stations. My apologies to the fish and amphibians that were harmed by my outdated info!

#206233 - 08/16/10 12:51 AM Re: Antibiotics shelf life?? [Re: ]
duckear Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Hey, no problem. You're the pro. I was just speaking from what I knew.

I was very shocked when NatGeo Adventurer's article said more or less "Hey, before traveling call your dock and load up on anything from Cipro to Levaquin." Worst yet he said that "Travelers disentary is often knocked out with one dose of Cirpo." I was shocked by that. Cipro and Levaquin as you know...are pretty heavy hitters behind Genamyacin (Spelled that wrong, I am sure) and shouldn't be handed out for "incase."

On the plus side he said that a lot of medical companies are on the way to creating a vaccine against the bacteria that causes it, though.

Actually, the current recommended treatment for Traveler's Diarrhea (TD) is immodium and anywhere from one dose to three days of a fluoroquinolone antibiotic......ie Cipro or Levaquin. Self treatment is the standard of care too.

I was on a mission trip to China and the morning were to leave, TD hit. The thought of being on a plane for 22+ hours with diarrhea is unthinkable.

I loaded up on immodium and took a single dose of Cipro. I was good the entire trip home.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 258 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by clearwater
Yesterday at 06:11 PM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.