Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#132229 - 05/07/08 06:43 PM stock up on rice & pasta?
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

the prices of rice & pasta are rising across the world. I am stocking up on rice & pasta by buying in bulk. I bought 20 bags of rice (each bag is 20lbs).

Has anyone stock up on rice or other essential foods?

#132233 - 05/07/08 06:52 PM Re: stock up on rice & pasta? [Re: picard120]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I just bought another dozen cans of ravioli on sale. Is canned ravioli an essential food?

I also made another 20 lbs of german sausage on the grinder this weekend. I am quickly running out of storage space. I wish these media food blitzes would quit so I can back down on the supplies a little. The good news is the sausage is so good I have no problem rationing it to my co-workers, who haven't learned to make their own yet.

I think the value of such commodities hasn't changed nearly as much as the value of the dollars we use to buy them with. I am not surprised that our groceries, especially those with a large international market, are getting more expensive for us.

#132236 - 05/07/08 07:01 PM Re: stock up on rice & pasta? [Re: benjammin]
weldon Offline
Journeyman

So... benjammin, cough up the sausage recipie if you don't mind smile

#132241 - 05/07/08 07:34 PM Re: stock up on rice & pasta? [Re: weldon]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

I have a recipe I've been developing for the past couple years, but this batch I cheated and used the Hi-Mountain brand commonly available at Sportsman's Warehouse, Gander Mountain and on the internet at their own webstie. They have a pretty darned good mix, but I am trying to improve on it.

I have my recipe at home, so I'll copy it down tonight and post it tomorrow, if I can remember to do so.

#132291 - 05/08/08 02:06 AM Re: stock up on rice & pasta? [Re: picard120]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I believe that our (USA) shortages are going to be in the flour and cooking oil departments.

#132354 - 05/08/08 05:29 PM Re: stock up on rice & pasta? [Re: wildman800]
Jackal Offline

Loc: cornwall UK
i have stocked up on rice /pasta / oats and cous cous on the dry foods side

#132357 - 05/08/08 05:41 PM Re: stock up on rice & pasta? [Re: picard120]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: picard120
the prices of rice & pasta are rising across the world. I am stocking up on rice & pasta by buying in bulk. I bought 20 bags of rice (each bag is 20lbs).

Well, I guess that explains why prices are up.

#132362 - 05/08/08 06:22 PM Re: stock up on rice & pasta? [Re: weldon]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Well, I tried adding a word doc file to make it easier to download, but the forum won't allow it so here's the long version. Enjoy. I left one key ingredient out that takes it from really good to irresistable. Also note the lack of fillers. If I wanted to eat oatmeal, I'd make a batch of cookies. I do not like oatmeal sausage.

Big Ben’s German Sausage

20 lbs pork shoulder
1/3 cup Coarse salt (not table salt)
2 tablespoons dried sage
1 tsp ground nutmeg
6 tsp ground black pepper
3 tsp ground white pepper
4 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
4 tablespoons sugar
Up to 2 cups water
1 skein 32mm collagen casing

Refrigerate pork shoulder in airtight container. Remove to freezer for 2 hours, or until meat is quite firm but not frozen. Slice meat into pieces that will fit the throat of the grinder easily (my grinder has a throat that can handle pieces 1” square and up to 3” long, you do not want to have to force the meat through the grinder throat and barrel). Blend all the dry ingredients together well. In a container large enough to hold it all, combine all ingredients. You want enough water to get the spices to mix and coat all the meat, but not so much to make it run off the meat. You will just have to judge it as you go. Mix the meat and spice mixture together by hand. If you do add too much water, make sure that you pour off the rest into the ground meat after the grinding process and mix it in. Feed the sausage through a medium coarse grind. Spread it out in the container, cover it tightly and return to the freezer to firm it up again. Meanwhile, clean up the grinder and prep your casings. I prefer to use 32mm collagen casings, as the prep is minimal, the casings are easily loaded on the stuffer tube, and they are easier to control during the stuffing process. Feed the well chilled sausage into the grinder/stuffer avoiding air pockets as much as possible (a small amount of trapped air is inevitable, don’t worry about it, it will dissipate). If stuffing with the grinder, follow the mfr recommendations, which usually say to remove the grinder plate and blade. Stuff the casings about 2/3 to ¾ full as it feeds, you will need the slack space to twist off the links. If you are making rounds, you can stuff the casings fuller, but don’t overdo it. Raw stuffed sausage should still have plenty of give, or they’ll just burst when handling and cooking. I like to stuff a length sufficient to make about 12 6” links at a time. It is just a good length for handling. Tie off the ends, twist your links, put in an airtight container and freeze solid or at least refrigerate for 24 hours before cooking to allow the sausage to ripen.

What is a skein of casing? Enough casing to stuff 20 lbs of sausage into, of course.

#132363 - 05/08/08 06:23 PM Re: stock up on rice & pasta? [Re: benjammin]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

I decided to include a german potato relish that actually goes better with my bratwursts than the G.S. You be the judge I guess.

Big Ben’s German Potato Relish for Brats

2 small red potatoes, diced small

1 Tbl oil

½ bell pepper, diced small

½ sweet onion, diced small

¼ cup water

½ tsp carraway seed

½ tsp fennel seed

¼ tsp ground black pepper

In a microwave safe dish, cook diced potatoes for 3 to 5 minutes, depending on wattage.
Heat pan over medium high heat and add oil. Pour cooked potatoes in pan and stir to break up. Saute for 5 minutes, then add bell pepper and onion and water and reduce heat to low. Simmer 5 minutes, then add seeds and pepper and mix well. Allow to sit on heat up to half an hour, or at least till onions and pepper have softened. Serve atop bratwurst in a bun with good mustard. Enough for 6 to 8 brats.

#132371 - 05/08/08 08:36 PM Re: stock up on rice & pasta? [Re: benjammin]
frenchy Offline
Veteran

Loc: France
Thanks for that recipe... will try it ....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 529 Guests and 67 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.