The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#131409 - 04/29/08 02:03 AM What Gun?
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Reading about Fabio’s decision to buy a gun and the responses to his post has me wondering what everyone conceders a good survival gun and what do they have for this purpose. And why did you choose that gun?

Probably the best survival gun I own is a hinge gun. It’s a Savage model 24, a 22 LR over a 20 gauge shotgun. It’s not quite a single shot. With 2 barrels, I can get off a second shot fast.

A 22 LR is good for small game; the shotgun barrel is also good for small game with small size shot (size 6 shot.) But it also can take down larger game with a slug and buckshot makes a great home defense round, with the 22 as a follow up if needed.

It breaks down to a shorter length; I could fit it in a backpack if I wanted to. I like shooting it, not as much as a scoped bolt action, but it’s still fun to shoot. And I practice with it enough to have a good feel for it. As I do with most of the guns I have.

I also conceder the Thompson Center Contender a great survival gun, I have several barrels for it, but the Savage is a better choice because of the versatility of it.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#131428 - 04/29/08 04:48 AM Re: What Gun? [Re: BobS]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Short Magazine Lee Enfield, AKA SMELLY. The .303 military cartridge with 10 round magazine capacity and very rapid bolt cycling will outrange and deliver greater potential accuracy than half the sturgewar being pushed at 10 times the cost. It is still one of the most popular world rounds. Get a pocket LEE LOADER, a box of the splendid OZ made Rhino 215 grain bullets and you duplicate, even better the famous Dominion load renowned in Canada for moose and bear.The rifle was made to take field abuse and still go bang. Lightwieght, combination guns have a long history and practicality. But the modern concept comes mostly from military needs for an easily stowed and light firearm in aircraft. Give me a jar of peanut butter, some mouse and rat traps and wire and I'll catch more mice and squirrels while building Fort Zinderhoff with my wire saw than 10 guys stalking the perimeter. You can even fit the thing with a bayonet if the squirrels charge or you lose your survival knife. I like the simple pointed rod version. It's great for marshmellow roasts.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (04/29/08 04:49 AM)

#131433 - 04/29/08 10:51 AM Re: What Gun? [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Survival gun? 10/22. Or a 12 GA.

#131438 - 04/29/08 12:41 PM Re: What Gun? [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I call my Number 5 (Jungle Carbine) my poor mans assault rifle...

#131479 - 04/29/08 04:07 PM Re: What Gun? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Although perhaps not exactly what your post intended, I consider my Glock G27 (.40 S&W caliber) to be my primary “survival” weapon. I have extended the magazine release, added Trijicon Tritium Self-Illuminating Night Sights, and carry two spare +1 (10 round) magazines. Ammunition is typically Federal Premium 155 or 180 Gr. Hydra-Shok jacketed hollow points. I like this pistol because it offers adequate stopping power along with excellent concealabillity. Glocks are arguably one of the most reliable handguns available, and have always had a reputation for trouble-free performance.

For home defense, I have a Remington 870 Express Magnum Synthetic 12 Gauge Shotgun with the 18” barrel. It’s currently configured for 5 shot capacity, although I may upgrade to the 7 shot magazine tube at some point. It's generally loaded with Remington 2 3/4” LE Reduced Recoil 00 Buckshot, although I keep 3” Magnum 00 Buckshot and 3” Magnum Slugs in an Uncle Mike’s neoprene 5 shell buttstock holder . As I've mentioned before, I typically only keep four rounds in the tube so that I always have the ability to rack a shell into the chamber for "auditory" persuasion -- less-than-lethal force is always the best option, if available.

To fend off all the zombies that will be running around at TEOTWAWKI, I have a Colt AR-15 A3 Tactical Carbine chambered for 5.56 x 45mm NATO/.223 Remington (Model 6721). The barrel is a 16.1" shorty HBAR with a 1 in 9" twist, but at 32" and only 7 pounds, it's pretty easy to move around in the woods with. I've never felt the need to trick it out with a bunch of tactical crap, although I have added a Hogue Grip with Finger Grooves and a half dozen 30 round Magpul PMAG polymer magazines. I have a synthetic A2 buttstock assembly that I can swap out for the sliding buttstock if I need to be a little more low-key. Hornady 55 Gr. TAP Law Enforcement (.223 Remington) is the only ammo that I use in this gun, and is accurate out to 600 meters.

Jim

#131490 - 04/29/08 05:44 PM Re: What Gun? [Re: BobS]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Survival: 12ga. Mossberg 5XX w/ turkey barrel & c-lect choke system
combined with a .22LR pump rifle or pistol depending on situation.

#131492 - 04/29/08 06:01 PM Re: What Gun? [Re: UTAlumnus]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
My feeling is that in a survival situation you'd be less concerned about taking big game (except maybe during very long term survival). Birds, squirrels, rabbits, etc. are probably more likely to be on the menu. And these would be hunted at short range. For that ... I'd actually prefer my air rifle (I'm not talking about a kids BB gun, I'm talking about modern adult airguns which are quite powerful).

More accurate than any of my other firearms, no recoil to speak of to make shooting difficult, doesn't need cleaning like a firearm, easily able to kill small game with a single shot, quiet (doesn't scare game away), and the pellets are very cheap and you can carry a good thousand of them in something the size of your wallet.

I might reconsider if this were going to be my ONLY gun. Might reconsider. Once you can get past the hit to any macho ego that may be in the way, airguns can be extremely practical.

#131495 - 04/29/08 06:09 PM Re: What Gun? [Re: BobS]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

Mine is a 30-30, lee loader with 135 gr. and 180 gr. bullets. In my pack is a 357 mag. and on my hip I might have my Ruger MK I 22cal. In my truck I have a 22/410

#131496 - 04/29/08 06:09 PM Re: What Gun? [Re: BobS]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
My M6 Scout - No longer made - has been the best all-around hunting gun for me - even with the puny .410 I've taken deer (slug/head shot @ 30 yards) For rabbit & squirrel it's fine with HP .22

I have an AR-7 which is more of a fun gizmo than a really good gun. We come around this topic a lot, it's fun.

#131498 - 04/29/08 06:15 PM Re: What Gun? [Re: MartinFocazio]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
Martin:
I wanted a M6 but buy the time I was able to buy one they were up to $300. +, Now I stay with my Bower Rabbit and just keep repairing it.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 341 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.