Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#130449 - 04/18/08 12:17 AM Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? [Re: SHawk]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Most people have said you aren't giving them enough information to give you helpful guidance. While somewhat true, I think its misleading. First off, I would echo OBG and say don't try to be too ambitious. My impression is that you aren't too experienced with hiking and camping (if I'm wrong my advice is too basic, but that won't get you hurt). I would recommend that you start at a reasonably secure area (National Forest or Park for example) where hiking and camping are pretty common and stick to a well traveled trail. Take it easy and consider your first hike a shake down of your skills and equipment.

Second, don't run out and buy the most expensive gear right off, you don't really need it and you also don't know what you'll prefer. If you can't borrow or rent, look at Coleman and similar brands that sacrifice some weight for price, but not much in quality. If you want to upgrade to a $100 stove later, you won't regret having bought a $20 one. As far as a specific list of gear, here are a couple of pretty good comprehensive lists I found using Google:

http://www.worldclassgear.com/backpacking_packing_list.asp

http://gorp.away.com/gorp/gear/packlst_bp.htm

I won't say they're the best lists in the world. You can probably eliminate somethings or add others, but they'll get you on the right track for the kinds of equipment you'll need.

A word, purely my opinion, on PLBs. To me they seem like a good tool for people who are working in unforgiving areas or who are pushing the limits of their abilities. But for the most part, they seem like their being bought either as a comfort blanket, or stupidity insurance. I've done a fair amount of hiking and geologic field work in Wyoming and never felt like a PLB was warranted. Leave a plan with some one you trust and don't take stupid risks, that should be sufficient. The Army likes the five point contingency plan: where are you going, who are you taking with you, when are you leaving and when will you return, what to do if you don't return and what to do in case of enemy contact (you can ignore the last point). Add a map to your start point and of your probably route if its a more obscure location.

Finally, I suggest picking up a copy of the Boy Scout Handbook. I don't know if I have the most recent edition, but the one I have is a gold mine of information on camping and hiking. Everything from what to pack to how to cook. It also has the constellations, map reading, tracking, some common plants on and on. Definitely worth picking up.

#130462 - 04/18/08 01:58 AM Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? [Re: AROTC]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Ditto everyone else. In addition to a "flight plan" with a trusted one, I'd also check in with whichever ranger or public service agency is in charge of that area. A friendly "I'm going camping, be back on Day X" will help ensure that someone official notices you missing.

Also... a big flashlight... things that go bump in the night are much more intimidating when alone! smile

#130464 - 04/18/08 02:31 AM Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? [Re: MDinana]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Take more water then you think you will need or a water filter if the area has water.

And GPS would be good to know where you are. GPS is great; it’s a map that knows where you are at.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#130484 - 04/18/08 01:18 PM Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? [Re: BobS]
Still_Alive Offline
Finally, I am a

Loc: Utah
My first solo hikes were in an area that had cell phone service. I realize not everyone has that luxury(?), but if you do, turn it off, throw it in your pack, and if you need it you'll have it.

Don't forget to turn it off--nothing ruins the serenity of a solo hike like "Fur Elise".

#130589 - 04/20/08 12:08 AM Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? [Re: ChrisInAZ]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I second all advise given so far, especially notifying folks where / when you're going. Remember to stick with your basics, Doug's basic 10 is a good start.

I would add:

Be very aware of becoming infected with "get there-itis".

It will drive you past your limits, and put you in trouble in a second.

"just one more hill, just one more hill" is good motivation for running a marathon but when you're alone in the woods and have to set up camp at the end of your hike, it's a bad idea.

Exhaustion will get you in trouble every time. You're more prone to injury and not paying attention to what's going on around you.

Leave your ego at home. It will get you into trouble every time. The forest is bigger than all of us and doesn't forgive.

Keep it simple and short to start with.

Try your stuff out in the backyard if you have one. Better to identify a problem when you can get up and go inside than in the middle of the woods where you're stuck.

I've been cold, wet, lost, and exhausted and it sucks!!!

#130633 - 04/20/08 05:16 PM Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? [Re: samhain]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Originally Posted By: samhain

Try your stuff out in the backyard if you have one. Better to identify a problem when you can get up and go inside than in the middle of the woods where you're stuck.

This is similar to what the Lewis and Clark Corps of Discovery did on their first day. They only paddled about fours hours (a half day journey) and then made camp for the night. This let them ensure they had everything needed, that it was packed in the right manner and place, and that the embarking/disembarking procedures worked. If something was missing or wrong they would could get it corrected without a huge loss. They still lost the day, but the psychological advantage gained by only having to paddle downstream a little way was enormous.

Practice in the backyard, porch, balcony..anywhere but the real hike.

Edited by MoBOB (04/20/08 05:17 PM)

#130637 - 04/20/08 06:58 PM Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? [Re: MoBOB]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Re: GPS, it's a really neat tool but it's NO substitute for map & compass + actual navigation skills. I've personally witnessed a situation (and heard of several verified stories) when the GPS malfunctioned and ran out of batteries at the worst possible time. If that happens and you can't find your way out with a map and compass you're screwed, for lack of a better word.

Especially for novice hikers I think it's very important to keep it simple, down to the basics. Learn the basic skills first. Depending on gadgets is a really bad idea out in the wilderness where so many things can go wrong unexpectedly.

#130662 - 04/21/08 12:50 AM Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? [Re: ]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Having a large aerial view is one of the great arguments for the map over the GPS, or at least along side. Even the largest screen on a GPS is only a couple inches big. A map can show you tens of kilometers all in one glance. Where's the nearest road or water; what's on the other side of that hill. They also allow spontaneity, since you can see things you might not have known about. I've got a map of post on my wall about 25km square which shows topography, roads, trails, buildings and rivers. I love being able to look at a map and see exactly where I am in relation to my surroundings.

Also, if you find maps cumbersome, consider folding it like THIS . It feels a little destructive, but its really useful.

#130674 - 04/21/08 02:23 AM Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? [Re: samhain]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: samhain
I've been cold, wet, lost, and exhausted and it sucks!!!

Been there, done that, you are right, it SUCKS!!!

They say what doesn’t kill you, makes you stronger.

But it still Sucks!

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#130711 - 04/21/08 04:03 PM Re: Advice for first-time solo backpacker? [Re: BobS]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Excellent, excellent advice above.

I have been solo backpacking for many years. For me, it's a kind of meditation-through-walking thing. I'm no new-age type, but it really sorts out my head. I don't get the same effect from group trips.

You'll tend to pack a bit heavier, because you can't share gear, and because you may need to hole up for a couple of extra days (if injured or stormbound).

You also tend to be a lot more conservative about taking risks -- whether crossing streams, dealing with wildlife, negotiating rough terrain, dealing with bad weather, keeping your gear dry, staying hydrated, and controlling your core temperature. Know the signs of dehydration and hypothermia. All these little things add up, risk-wise, because there's nobody on hand to bail you out. But that's part of the appeal.

Colin Fletcher, a well-respected backpacking author (_The Complete Walker III_), also prefers to walk solo. He deals with more than gear -- the most valuable stuff in his book is the philosophy and mindset of walking solo. Every year I re-read parts of that book, so I would obviously recommend it. Most libraries have a copy (I think it's gone through four updates over the years).

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 522 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.