Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#130992 - 04/24/08 05:23 PM Re: NYC This Friday: Potantial Trouble? [Re: MartinFocazio]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
I hear from so many people who don't ever come here freaked out about NYC and the potential for this and that and the other thing.

i used to be in that crowd until we spent 4 days in the city. had a great time, no problems. lots of law enforcement, but made me feel safe.

can't wait to go back.

amazing how close we live to a major tear in the fabric of our society.

good luck to new york.

#131024 - 04/24/08 09:21 PM Re: NYC This Friday: Potantial Trouble? [Re: bsmith]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
I live in NYC - Out in Queens, the county where the shooting took place. (but well north of where it happened)

MY biggest worry? Getting a headache from having to listen to Al Sharpton on the radio/TV for hours on end - heck, that's already started, so I'm well on my way to the headache
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#131028 - 04/24/08 09:48 PM Re: NYC This Friday: Potantial Trouble? [Re: KG2V]
gryps Offline
Aspiring Ant

Loc: New Rochelle,NY, USA
I'm afraid that no amount of preparation can protect you from political grand-standing. May I suggest a stiff drink, or five?

#131044 - 04/25/08 01:55 AM Re: NYC This Friday: Potantial Trouble? [Re: Jesselp]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

I live in Long Island and work all over NYC. I am not getting a bad feeling from the Bell situation. While some aspects of his case are questionable, he was far from a saint and assaulted a detective with an SUV. Judging from what I have gathered, force was justified, it is just a question of how much and whether the involved officers properly ID'd themselves. My sympathy meter for Mr. Bell is not registering strongly. I don't anticipate trouble, but hey, you never know.

#131359 - 04/28/08 04:21 PM Re: NYC This Friday: Potantial Trouble? [Re: Jesselp]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Little late but that's because I was busy (sort of related to that)... We got issued no "prewarning" but the minute that verdict went down we were told to keep the armor handy. Nothing happened yet and weekend was uneverntful besides a lot of "sick" personel who didnt come to work so I was stuck covering shifts.

I found that 1010 wins has always the best coverage of NYC related problems (radio is fast, web site updates are slow, text alerts are fast as well)... If you dont have a minature radio get the text alerts from them (sign up on their website)... As far as for the future reference: not much you can do to prepare for such a thing except to have plan for alternate routes home, staying informed maybe extra bottle of water, some extra snacks, comfortable shoes and less flashy clothes/jewerly. I don't belive city wide rioting would take place so isolated incidents confided to certain neighborhoods is what we would get. Random acts of violence and spontanious protests can't be predicted so short of staying at home there is not much you can do to avoid that. If you are asking how to defend yourself? That's hard since defense against mob is a strength in numbers and organization. Crowd offers feeling of anonimity/security and crimes commited in crowd usually go unpunished. Got few close calls during Caribbean/Indian day parade (day with the highest number of stabbings and shots) with mob trying to storm ambulances and pd cars when you working people.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 223 Guests and 60 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.