Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#130717 - 04/21/08 05:42 PM Re: EDC/BOB knives [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

As far as EDC goes, pick a knife that you're most comfortable with. I believe that's the single most important factor. Personal preference varies: plain edge/serrated, size, blade and point configuration... Lots of options there and lots of different opinions on what's best. But it's going to be your EDC knife so take the one that works best for you!

Over time I've really gotten used to the new Spyderco Endura w/ Wave. I've carried it almost every day pretty much everywhere I go and it has literally become an extension of my arm. It so happens that the Endura works well for me - somebody else might well find some other knife more useful. The particular model you pick isn't really important as long as it's well made and fits your specific needs.

IMHO a good folder with a quality multitool for backup will handle every daily task an urban dweller is likely to encounter. Unless you spend much of your life outdoors I don't see a fixed blade as a practical choice for EDC. Still, always a good idea to include one in your BOB.

#130719 - 04/21/08 06:01 PM Re: EDC/BOB knives [Re: LeeG]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I have a CS Master Tanto and cannot see its value as an EDC knife. Interesting knife, but not practical as an EDC. There are other fixed blades I've carried, both smaller and bigger, but the CS has never made the cut.

#130753 - 04/22/08 03:34 AM Re: EDC/BOB knives [Re: LeeG]
Joseph13 Offline
Journeyman

LeeG,

Check out the inside the waist band ccw belts. They look like a concealed money pouch with two open top pockets. A friend of slight stature shocked the vendor at a gun show when instead of putting a pistol in one and a second mag in the other, he placed a pair of full sized 1911 style .45's in the pockets. Some how they fit in his pants without the typical bulge from the butt of the handles.

As far as the CS Tanto the leather sheath on them has always bothered me. The few times I wore it hug up getting in and out of the car and while seated in a chair, was rather difficult to retrieve quickly. The newer kydex type offers more carry options but I as of yet have not picked one up for mine. Come to think of it I probably won't as I have had the knife for about 15 years. It has become one of many in my collection.

As for concealed folders I find while seated, one clipped into a button down shirt offers excellent access for a right handed person, as mens shirts button left over right. and if you wear a tie it will conceal the clip and butt of the handle nicely.

#130784 - 04/22/08 05:41 PM Re: EDC/BOB knives [Re: OldBaldGuy]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
LeeG,

Not to hijack the thread, but there are LOTS of ways to carry a firearm concealed in normal work clothes. A whole coursefull (I teach one). PM me with what you wear if you want some suggestions.

As for the EDC knife, I also have Cold Steel Tanto's and find sharpened crowbars not necessary for most uses (some military, police, underwater and EMS exceptions). My daily carry is a SAK, usually an Executive (for the scissors, toothpick and tweezers) and a good folder. A multitool (SpyderWrench) is in my case.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#131151 - 04/26/08 02:11 AM Re: EDC/BOB knives [Re: JerryFountain]
Crogan Offline

My EDC is an Ontario Rat-1 folder as it fits my big mitt well and a Leatherman Charge TI. I carry the Rat clipped in my front pocket and the Leatherman in a belt sheath. When I go hiking I add a Falkniven Freya (got a smoking good deal so it replaced my beloved Rat-7). I've carried three in the bush for years and also when highway driving and never had a problem. I've carried them all over Canada and the US with work. The BOB has a Norlund camp hatchet/tomahawk strapped to one side and a Kershaw D2 strapped to the other. Overkill perhaps but as my platoon sargant used to say "Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it!"

Edited by Crogan (04/26/08 02:15 AM)

#131270 - 04/27/08 06:45 PM Re: EDC/BOB knives [Re: Crogan]
In_Flux Offline
Flashaholic
Stranger

Loc: Arlington, VA
I EDC a small Micarta Sebenza with partial serrations and a Leatherman Charge Ti on my belt.

If I'm hiking I add a Strider SA-L with G-10 Scales (usually in my pack).

Not a fan of Cold Steel or tantos in general- just IMO...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 526 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.