I think people may be over-reacting a bit to the "all those chemicals in the pool" fear.

My pool has chlorine (yes, it's the exact same thing as Clorox, just double the concentration, and the same thing the water utility puts in the water), and occasionally a pH increaser or reducer, which is a simple grocery store acid or base, like Borax. And I'm talking a cup or two of this for 7000 gallons. At the beginning of the season I put in some stabilizer, which is cyanuric acid. Again, a cup or so for 7000 gallons.

I don't use any other algaecides or other stuff, and don't need to. Some people do go overboard and put in every chemical their pool supply shop recommends. Some pool chlorine has the stabilizer already in it, which is unnecessary and dumb.

Chlorine, maybe a little acid or base, a little stabilizer. That's it.

I'd drink it in a heartbeat. If it was too chlorine-ey, I'd come up with a way to put some of it in buckets or something open to the air to let the chlorine evaporate off over a couple of days. If I was really nervous, maybe some sort of simple charcoal filter for the other stuff, but probably wouldn't bother.

David