The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#130400 - 04/17/08 02:55 PM Re: Trapped in an elevator [Re: Stokie]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Not sure but they may be behind drop panels with the light fixtures. According to the article w/ the video, they're only accessible from outside the car (bolted shut).

#130415 - 04/17/08 04:54 PM Re: Trapped in an elevator [Re: BobS]
Still_Alive Offline
Finally, I am a

Loc: Utah
Makes you wonder if he had a cell phone. The obvious assumption is no, or we wouldn't have heard about this. Another reason I consider my cell phone is part of my EDC and more than electronic handcuffs!

(Now if I can convince my wife to take hers everywhere!)

#130417 - 04/17/08 05:01 PM Re: Trapped in an elevator [Re: UTAlumnus]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Hmm,

I wonder if thirteen rounds of 45 acp is enough to perforate the roof panel such that I can brute a hole out the top regardless of what's bolted and how? Maybe that and the can opener blade on my Leatherman Wave?

Other than that, I don't often bring a breaching charge with me in public.

In any case, were I stuck in an elevator, I pity the fool who has to come and repair it after I am done with the thing. Also, more pity for the butthead that either decided not to include a monitored alarm system on the car, or the one who chose to ignore my gesticulations for two days.

#130421 - 04/17/08 05:14 PM Re: Trapped in an elevator [Re: benjammin]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Other than that, I don't often bring a breaching charge with me in public.

You should. Nothing says, "May I come in?" like a bit of C4.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#130423 - 04/17/08 05:19 PM Re: Trapped in an elevator [Re: Still_Alive]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Still_Alive
Makes you wonder if he had a cell phone.

The article said he didn't. He was just taking a quick smoke break just outside the building, so he only planned on being gone a matter of minutes.

I've visited these large NYC office buildings on weekends on many occasions. They're deserted. Sure, there are some people around but they're totally scattered throughout the building. And even if someone heard the alarm when they were taking the elevator themself, I have to admit that it would be very easy to assume that the building management had it covered and just not say anything. This story reminds me that we shouldn't assume that, even in a big, fancy office building with 24-hour security in the lobby.

#130441 - 04/17/08 10:13 PM Re: Trapped in an elevator [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I'm not nearly as good at blowing things up as you are, but my common sense and logic tells me that if you are gonna touch off come C4 inside of your elevator car, you'd better put your fingers in your ears. Waaayyyy in...

#130446 - 04/17/08 11:45 PM Re: Trapped in an elevator [Re: HerbG]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: HerbG
Like Ironraven I found out I was slightly

Wrong adjective. I get uncomfortable if there are 20 people in a 30x20 room with me. A crowded elevator I can deal with so long as I can see that the walls aren't really pressing in on me, and I can still turn around and the take the stairs. In the dark, full of jostling people, I know that elevator is going to squeeze down size of a juice box.

Some people "know" that every airplane is going to crash and everyone will die. I "know" that elevators are really economy sized caskets.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#130453 - 04/18/08 12:48 AM Re: Trapped in an elevator [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
my common sense and logic tells me that if you are gonna touch off come C4 inside of your elevator car, you'd better put your fingers in your ears.

You should know by now that I rely more on reflexes than common sense.

Oh wait, I'm forty now. Maybe counting on reflexes isn't such a good plan anymore frown

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#130460 - 04/18/08 01:11 AM Re: Trapped in an elevator [Re: Blast]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
This seems like one of the few instances where a pry-bar style knife would be useful in an office environment. All things being equal, it seems like it would be easier and safer to pry open the doors then to climb around on top. Still, I think its safe to say the best thing you could carry after a cell phone, would be a water bottle, a couple of gallon sized freezer bags and a book. And from the article ear plugs. He was apparently having bad experiences from the alarm bell ringing for hours on end.

#130465 - 04/18/08 02:59 AM Re: Trapped in an elevator [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Strangely, my reflexes, which have always been pretty quick, have stayed that way. I may not be able to hear the starting whistle, but with any other signal I am fast off the mark. Much faster than the norm, according to the various online reflex tests I have taken...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 567 Guests and 87 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.